• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is god perfect?

ok, first of all, It was not my intent to attack you personally, with "you" i ment all the people with a similar mentality and a similar lifestile.

That may be true but everyone does not live so and for good reason. I have always held the position that we cannot see the beginning or the end of this trial we call mortal probation, we can only see the here and now. The pre-mortal and post mortal are hidden from us. We must be very careful not to try to judge God by what we are given to know because (1) we have not the right and (2) we do not posses enough knowledge or wisdom to draw correct conclusions (but that does not stop some people from doing it). Some are born with the proverbial silver spoon in their mouths while others are born, live, and die in abject poverty. To us this seems unjust but it makes for a wide range of opportunities wherein mankind may be tried; in the end, after all is said and done, all will be given that same opportunity to accept or reject that which is necessary to gain eternal salvation in the presence of God. It would be rather useless if we were all exactly the same because there would be none to whom we could exercise the commandments to succor the needs of others (among a great many other drawbacks that would be associated with such a condition).

I just cannot accept the use of religion to justify something that is wrong.

Please take my statement correctly. When I said all that I can do I meant it. That encompasses exercising my God given right and ability to strive to do more, pushing my own perceived limits, but in the end one who strives to exact every ounce of courage and ability from him or herself will be justified even though they did not save and/or provide comfort for everyone. I don't see you saving the whole world from injustice; does that mean you have failed as a human being, deserving to be cast away from your God?

yes, maybe you do all you can do, I cannot make that judgement. my problem with that statement was that verry many people use a similar reasoning and it gives them a falce sence of selfjustice.

also, I am awere that i myself can be accused of the same things, but I do not try to justify myself. the idea that i cause suffering makes me feel bad and i am not going to look for an excuse to make me feel better. when i do something right, it does not mean that i am allowed to do something wrong. my major issue is that people try to justify themselves in ways that they shouldn't and they will use religion to do it. you cannot hit some one and then just run off to confession to make it all better again.

Absolutely not, I work hard to make my own way, doing what I can for myself and those within my sphere of influence and dealing justly with others. I like to think that I have the courage to change the things I can, the serenity to accept the things I cannot, and the wisdom to know the difference. If one spends inordinate amounts of time stressing over the things the currently cannot change then those things will forever remain in that category.

no we shouldn't spend inordinate amounts of time stressing about things like that, but we souldnt deny their existance eather, nor should we accept them.

Again, absolutely not, feeling bad and even angry to a point can be a great motivator but they are not the only ones, they must be tempered with the commandments of God so that your efforts can have the added power provided by such temperance to be able to accomplish more. Again, playing the martyr only detracts from my ability to grow and do more good. To shun everything that might have come by the blood, sweat and tears of others would be a task so monumental that there would be time for nothing else. To do so would label me a useless fanatic. I want to be part of a solution not a disgruntled and benched player who does nothing but sit and accuse others for their woes. Also, focusing so intently on one aspect of life and creation can cause one to overlook other important aspects of their own existence. Life requires balance.

same answer as before "
no we shouldn't spend inordinate amounts of time stressing about things like that, but we souldnt deny their existance eather, nor should we accept them."

Me thinks you err in your assessment of my intent. I believe that a person cannot show respect for God and His commandments without engaging in worship. I do not worship to prove anything, only to show my respect for God my worship by my actions among other things like respecting all His creations. I esteem my Heavenly Father to be worthy of my complete devotion, He is my God and I give it to him without reservation. That is called worship and I do not do it to be seen of men only to be as happy as I can be and for me that means engaging in the worship of God according to His commandments. To do otherwise would label me a hypocrite.

i think that you misinterpreted me here, but to be fair, i wasn't verry constructive in my arguement.

I do!! At least I try to. A person who endeavors to keep all the commandments of God will never be guilty of the moral crimes you assert.
I took no offence, you need not apologize

the main problem I had with ur first post is not what you do in the given situations, it is how you justify your actions.

Last edited:

TurkeyOnRye

Gods can be compared to potential, as imagined or dreamed. One of the ontological arguments put it rather elegantly: I conceive of a being than which no greater can be conceived.

A solid entry-point for meditation, maybe. I am under the impression that the body of god would include the body of our thoughts and dreams. Having said that, we arrive at the same fundamental problem. My understanding is this: claiming to describe God is like describing your playing piece in a game of monopoly. This description not excluded.

Last edited:

Harmonious

If you are truely thankfull, why would you need to prove that by worship?
It is an act of giving back.

If you did something nice for someone, true, you don't NEED to be acknowledged for your nice act. But it is more than good breeding and politeness to display gratitude for things that are done on your behalf.

It is the right thing to do. And when you consider that God created everything, and so every last thing we are and have are dependent on God, it behooves us to turn around and say "Thank you," at the very least.

The fact that some people do far more than say a simple thank you and have different ways of displaying it... I believe that various people's way of saying "Thank you" to God is the function of the various religions of the world.