• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God playing hide and seek?

Heneni

Miss Independent
Why does God take pleasure in hiding who he is and who the Son is from the 'wise and intelligent' and revealing themselves to the 'infants'?

Troublemane

I think because God is not separate from us, not separate from existence, and infants are able to perceive him/her/it better because they are not mentally differentiated from what they behold. However, they are also incapable of conveying this, it requires a second type of undifferentiation: That of the child is pre-temporal awareness, that of the sage is trans-temporal. :D

Heneni

Miss Independent
I was perhaps thinking more along the lines that god does not attach the same mental picture to infant as we do. If god does reveal himself to infants, then we all have had a revelation no?

Jayell

Jayell
Why does God take pleasure in hiding who he is and who the Son is from the 'wise and intelligent' and revealing themselves to the 'infants'?
Jesus said, "Except you be converted and become as little children you shall not enter the kingdom of Heaven" (Matt 18:3). In order to believe Jesus knew that the Jews require a sign and gentiles seek after wisdom (1 Cor 1:22). God will never reveal Himself to a prideful person, He will to someone who is humble with child-like faith. The bible also says, "without faith it is impossible to please God, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him" ( Hebrews 11:6). An infant or child is totally dependent on his father/mother and that how God wants us to be with Him.

Last edited:

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
Would those who have suffered brain damage, or who have mental problems and as a result have "the mind of a child" be closer to God as well? (Serious question, I'm not saying religious folk are brain damaged).

Heneni

Miss Independent
True. I take it you consider the word of god as your authority on spiritual matters. If that be the case, why does paul also say that we should 'grow up' and mature. Wouldnt that imply becoming independant?

The wisdom of this world is foolishness to god, so why would he hide himself from the wise and intelligent if they are fools?

The bible is rarely sarcastic. If god says he hides himself from the wise and intelligent, it means they are wise and intelligent.

But why did the scripture have to put the two at different poles.

Wise and intelligent vs. infants.

Heneni

Miss Independent
Would those who have suffered brain damage, or who have mental problems and as a result have "the mind of a child" be closer to God as well? (Serious question, I'm not saying religious folk are brain damaged).

Good point. Which is why im thinking that the word 'infant' here has more to it than we might think.

Heneni

Miss Independent
Yes! Finding the kingdom has been likened to a treasure (treasure hunt)

But if god plays hide and seek with the kids, then its because there are times that he will reveal himself and other times that he wont. But all in good spirit. god is good.

But to the wise and intelligent he stays hidden. He keeps himself hidden away. Is he really hiding, or do the wise and intelligent not have eyes that see and ears that hear?

Heneni

Jayell

Jayell

But if god plays hide and seek with the kids, then its because there are times that he will reveal himself and other times that he wont. But all in good spirit. god is good.

But to the wise and intelligent he stays hidden. He keeps himself hidden away. Is he really hiding, or do the wise and intelligent not have eyes that see and ears that hear?
That is right! According to the parable of the sower, God's word fell on all. But only those with soft hearts recieved it. When God moves on someone, He never appeals to thier intelligence. It has to be taken by faith alone; a heart issue.
I really hope you guys are not talking about actual infants. By the way when Paul speaks of growing up he's talking about christian sanctification.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

Heneni

I get the feeling that for the wise and intelligent, there's no need for God. It's just a feeling, though. After all, "Those who are not sick do not need a physician." (Somewhere Jesus said that; can't find it now)

To see God, you need only see; to hear God, you need only hear. That's what I believe, anyway. (Except I call it One, not God.)

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
No. God always seeks us out first. If anyone's playing games, it's us, constantly turning our faces from God. The "wise and intelligent," as Jesus spoke of them, are usually the first ones to turn away.

Heneni

Miss Independent
I'd agree that god doesnt play pshycological games. But he certainly hides himself from many people. In a certain sense god is all around us, he doesnt hide himself, but its hard to have a relationship with a tree.

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
No. God always seeks us out first. If anyone's playing games, it's us, constantly turning our faces from God. The "wise and intelligent," as Jesus spoke of them, are usually the first ones to turn away.

Ever been a non-believer? If God wanted us to know of His existence, we'd surely know. Clearly, He doesn't want everyone to know... and so is hiding.

blackout

Violet.
Well as "God" to me
IS the Living Sentient UniVerse,
it's more a thing of
not seeing the forest for the trees.

Heneni

Miss Independent
Ever been a non-believer? If God wanted us to know of His existence, we'd surely know. Clearly, He doesn't want everyone to know... and so is hiding.

Yes, but god has a criteria, he hides himself from the wise and intelligent. Why do you think he'd do that?

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
Yes, but god has a criteria, he hides himself from the wise and intelligent. Why do you think he'd do that?

Because wise and intelligent people often have impressive beards and it makes God feel insecure?

I don't know, why does He hide Himself from wise and intelligent people?

Heneni

Miss Independent
Because wise and intelligent people often have impressive beards and it makes God feel insecure?

I don't know, why does He hide Himself from wise and intelligent people?

WAY TO GO PHASMID!! you and I both dont have a clue...which means he is not hiding from us. WHOOPY!:beach: