• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God's existence necessary?

Is God's existence necessary?

• Total voters

Lighthouse

Shad is correct.

I bring up the orbit of Pluto to creationists who complain that science has not witnessed all of evolutionary history and seen it repeated. The fact is that there is much more evidence for evolution than there is for pluto's orbit, yet creationists don't doubt pluto's orbit even though it has not been observed and we've certainly not seen it orbit twice.

We extrapolate from the data and conclude it orbits the sun (or the solar system's center of mass slightly off center of the sun's mass). We understand evolution from the billions of data points without seeing it happen over again just like we infer the orbit of Pluto.

I, myself don't really invest too much into the distant past. More centralized on present creation and present evolution going on. We really don't know and everything may not be what it appears and seems to be, even best educated guesses.

I believe in evolution, yet as a project I once did for a professor(who also believed in evolution) who taught to always think for oneself and keep an opened mind... we were asked to argue against evolution academically and it was quite profound all of the gaps, holes, fraudulent claims, and arguments we all came up with without being biased.

prometheus11

I don't believe in evolution or chemistry. They are simply facts and the results of facts compiled in succession. No belief is required.

Lighthouse

I don't believe in evolution or chemistry. They are simply facts and the results of facts compiled in succession. No belief is required.

Just saying, it's not as clear cut as you may presume or may be conditioned to think. There are a ton of gaps that you have to believe in if you were to be honest with yourself.

prometheus11

Just saying, it's not as clear cut as you may presume or may be conditioned to think. There are a ton of gaps that you have to believe in if you were to be honest with yourself.

I don't have to "believe in" the gaps or not just like I'm not required to explain anything about all the unsolved math quandaries. I understand that math is a philosophy solid enough to provide consistent results despite unsolved issues and the same is true of evolutionary theory.

Just FYI, I was a creationist for the majority of my life.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
ben d,

Atheists say, "we don't know how it happened, but some process caused it to occur."

People who treat some myth or other as fact say something similar to, "invisible and undetected sky wizard did it with a spoken 'spell'."

Which person is using "magic?"
The part about the sky wizard is a strawman.....let is stay with the atheists who say they do not know how, but some process caused it to occur.... This is silly anthropomorphic talk....the universe is eternal and consciousness never had a beginning...nor will it have an ending...

prometheus11

Heavenly deity (who creates with words) sky wizard who uses magic spells. It's not much of a stretch.

Scientists are honest about not knowing some origins. (First life on earth, where the singularity came from that expanded in the Big Bang)

Those aren't debatable facts because they're facts.

You have no idea about your claims concerning the universe.

Science is being truthful and admitting where their knowledge ends. Unlike you.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Heavenly deity (who creates with words) sky wizard who uses magic spells. It's not much of a stretch.

Scientists are honest about not knowing some origins. (First life on earth, where the singularity came from that expanded in the Big Bang)

Those aren't debatable facts because they're facts.

You have no idea about your claims concerning the universe.

Science is being truthful and admitting where their knowledge ends. Unlike you.
Haha...I just love your pride in the facts that science honestly admits it does not know the origin of life on Earth, or where the big bang singularity came from, or why the singularity came.at all.. In the mean time, there are levels of evolutionary development beyond human dualistic consciousness where full understanding already exists...but for those lazy ones who await physical science to find the answer, sleep on.....

outhouse

Atheistically
Haha...I just love your pride in the facts that science honestly admits it does not know the origin of life on Earth, or where the big bang singularity came from, or why the singularity came.at all.. In the mean time, there are levels of evolutionary development beyond human dualistic consciousness where full understanding already exists...but for those lazy ones who await physical science to find the answer, sleep on.....

Mythology is not a credible replacement for academic knowledge.

Nor do you get to a put a god in the gap of knowledge science has not figured out in full.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Mythology is not a credible replacement for academic knowledge.

Nor do you get to a put a god in the gap of knowledge science has not figured out in full.
Strawman alert...who said anything about mythology? And who said anything about God filling gaps, etc? Atheists are just so fearful of something they don't believe in, they imagine it where it isn't... relax, a wooden crucifix won't hurt you... Science is fine, but on Earth, contemporary science progresses slowly and people are not all at the same level of evolutionary development...

Reflex

The part about the sky wizard is a strawman.....let is stay with the atheists who say they do not know how, but some process caused it to occur.... This is silly anthropomorphic talk....the universe is eternal and consciousness never had a beginning...nor will it have an ending...
Criticism, straw men and red herrings are the only things atheists here have to offer. NEVER do they posit a working hypothesis; all they have to offer is chance, "just because" and "I dunno."

prometheus11

Criticism, straw men and red herrings are the only things atheists here have to offer. NEVER do they posit anything other than chance or "just because."

Incorrect.

We know some things. We don't know others. We're honest about what we know and what we don't. A mythological story isn't any better of an answer than any other mythological story.

Game over.