• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God's existence necessary?

Is God's existence necessary?

• Total voters

Shad

Veteran Member
Atheism indeed does have everything to do with evolution.

Nope as there were atheists before evolution was even an idea. Atheists can merely state their view depends on the lack of evidence and argument theist make.Theists accept evolution as well all while reinterpreting the theory and their scripture to fit their new metaphysical/worldview. Evolution is useful to anyone that accepts it.

Atheism is a positive belief that there is no gods and if there is no gods then there must of necessity be a mechanism to explain all of existence. The mechanism they accept is evolution driven by the forces of nature. Without the nature god they would have absolutely nothing to found their belief system.

Without nature no one would have any worldview. However you need nature too. You need it to support your ID views otherwise you would have no arguments to support your view. All you do is add one more claim/entity/mechanic on top of most ideas which are based on nature and the observations of it. Causality being a primary foundation of ID. You see structure in nature but just make a different conclusion.

KBC1963

An orbit IS a full orbit. That's what the word means. Like the word "circle" means "a whole circle."
Does it really? shall we consult a dictionary?
Definition of orbit
a : a path described by one body in its revolution about another (as by the earth about the sun or by an electron about an atomic nucleus); also : one complete revolution of a body describing such a pathb : a circular path
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/orbit

Huh well lookie there.... the word "orbit" can describe either the path of body OR one complete revolution a body described by the exact same path. So for Merriam Webster they felt that to define the word orbit it should be based first on how its path can be defined and second as possibly a complete revolution. Hum I wonder why that is? what do you think? let's give NASA a shot they should know;

What Is Orbit?
This article is part of the NASA Knows (Grades 5-8) series.
An orbit is a regular, repeating path that one object in space takes around another one.
http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/5-8/features/nasa-knows/what-is-orbit-58.html

Huh... I guess even NASA doesn't know orbit like you do

prometheus11 said:
No, I can't...not on an Internet forum with limited time. Evolutionary science can, though.
Can't even provide some links to scientific papers... of course that is exactly what I have been saying all along.

prometheus11

No, I can provide links on evolution, but I have no interest in it because of your disdain for scientific facts.

You knew what I meant by the word "orbit" as everyone would and does. The dictionary refers to a "path" around another object. If the object isn't orbiting, there's no path, or orbit

I'm also uninterested in playing stupid games with definitions.

Educate yourself on the facts of evolution, and try to prove any of it incorrect. In so doing, you will help further define the theory and you'll be an extremely well known scientist and quite rich.

ArtieE

Because of all religious beliefs out there atheism is the most contradictory. It is the positive assertion for the absence of the unobserved.
Nonsense. It's the absence of belief in the existence of gods and most atheists have this absence of belief because theists haven't provided any scientific evidence for the existence of gods so there's no reason for rational atheists to become theists.

Shad

Veteran Member
Here is a little secret just for you;

Technically, Earth Does Not Orbit Around the Sun
http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/08/technically_the_earth_does_not_orbit_the_sun.html

Can you explain this technicality?

As your article clearly states.

"The rest of the universe certainly doesn't revolve around the Earth, but, like so many topics in science, it's an oversimplification to say that everything orbits around the Sun."

Seems like nitpicking over an oversimplification and semantics.

KBC1963

Nonsense. It's the absence of belief in the existence of gods and most atheists have this absence of belief because theists haven't provided any scientific evidence for the existence of gods so there's no reason for rational atheists to become theists.

Simple Definition of atheist
  • : a person who believes that God does not exist
Full Definition of atheist
  1. : one who believes that there is no deity

ATHEIST Defined for Kids
  1. : a person who believes there is no God
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/atheist
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
atheism
the belief that God does not exist
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/atheism
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

atheist

In this question, atheist is a noun that means someone who denies the existence of god.
An atheist believes there is no such thing as god, or any other deity.
The root -theist means "belief in a god." The prefixes mono-, poly-, and a-, mean "one," "many," and "no," respectively.
So a monotheist is someone who believes in a single god, a polytheist is someone who believes in many gods, and an
atheist is someone who believes there is no god at all.
http://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/atheist

KBC1963

As your article clearly states.
"The rest of the universe certainly doesn't revolve around the Earth, but, like so many topics in science, it's an oversimplification to say that everything orbits around the Sun."
Seems like nitpicking over an oversimplification and semantics.

No one is saying that everything does orbit the sun. It should be a simple thing to tell me why technically the earth isn't orbiting the sun.
there is a reason why the technicality exists and if it was a simple semantic thing then why would they write the article? You have the choice to expand your understanding read it and then tell me the answer.

prometheus11

A = Greek prefix "without/not"

Theos = Greek root word meaning "God/pertaining to God"

Ism = suffix "belief"

A without / theos God / ism belief.

Without...God...belief.

Simple.

That unbelief would change if any proposed God were demonstrated.

prometheus11

No one is saying that everything does orbit the sun. It should be a simple thing to tell me why technically the earth isn't orbiting the sun.
there is a reason why the technicality exists and if it was a simple semantic thing then why would they write the article? You have the choice to expand your understanding read it and then tell me the answer.

It's orbiting the center of mass in the solar system. The center of mass is NOT the center of the sun, but it's not far off.

Lighthouse

Exactly what I said: if something exists, something exists that cannot not exist. And, unless you prefer to engage in magical thinking (like atheists), that something must be more or different than pure mechanism or chance.

Sometimes it seems that spontaneous and against all odds seem to apply as being more magical and supernatural being honest with myself.

ArtieE

Simple Definition of atheist
a person who believes that God does not exist
"Atheism is usually defined incorrectly as a belief system. Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods. Older dictionaries define atheism as "a belief that there is no God." Some dictionaries even go so far as to define Atheism as "wickedness," "sinfulness," and other derogatory adjectives. Clearly, theistic influence taints dictionaries. People cannot trust these dictionaries to define atheism. The fact that dictionaries define Atheism as "there is no God" betrays the (mono)theistic influence...
https://atheists.org/activism/resources/what-is-atheism

"The more common understanding of atheism among atheists is "not believing in any gods." No claims or denials are made - an atheist is any person who is not a theist. Sometimes this broader understanding is called "weak" or "implicit" atheism. There is also a narrower sort of atheism, sometimes called "strong" or "explicit" atheism. Here, the atheist explicitly denies the existence of any gods - making a strong claim which will deserve support at some point. What is Atheism..."
http://atheism.about.com/od/aboutatheism/p/atheism101.htm

Atheism (weak atheism) is an absence of belief in gods. Strong atheism is the belief that gods don't exist. Learn the difference.

Lighthouse

A = Greek prefix "without/not"

Theos = Greek root word meaning "God/pertaining to God"

Ism = suffix "belief"

A without / theos God / ism belief.

Without...God...belief.

Simple.

That unbelief would change if any proposed God were demonstrated.

Going to a dictionary or using your mind, how would you define theos or God?

ArtieE

atheist

In this question, atheist is a noun that means someone who denies the existence of god.
An atheist believes there is no such thing as god, or any other deity.
The root -theist means "belief in a god." The prefixes mono-, poly-, and a-, mean "one," "many," and "no," respectively.
So a monotheist is someone who believes in a single god, a polytheist is someone who believes in many gods, and an
atheist is someone who believes there is no god at all.
http://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/atheist
If "-theist" means "belief in a god" and the prefix a- means "no" then atheist means literally "no belief in a god" and not "belief that there's no god". Next time you quote something make sure that what you quote makes sense first otherwise it reflects badly on you.

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member

The tactic was a red herring since you nitpick a definition of a word rather than if people believe Pluto orbits anything be it the Sun or a baycenter. You then demand similar evidence for evolution all while obvious to the fact that these are different fields of study.

Math is used for evolution as well. Genetics becomes reduced to math if one wishes.

http://educ.jmu.edu/~rosenhjd/sewell.pdf

prometheus11

Shad is correct.

I bring up the orbit of Pluto to creationists who complain that science has not witnessed all of evolutionary history and seen it repeated. The fact is that there is much more evidence for evolution than there is for pluto's orbit, yet creationists don't doubt pluto's orbit even though it has not been observed and we've certainly not seen it orbit twice.

We extrapolate from the data and conclude it orbits the sun (or the solar system's center of mass slightly off center of the sun's mass). We understand evolution from the billions of data points without seeing it happen over again just like we infer the orbit of Pluto.