• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God's existence necessary?

Is God's existence necessary?

• Total voters

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Do you see the little question mark in my post (just like this one) ?
When you see this symbol used it is typically preceded by the actual question being posed.
Scientific inquiry is based on observable evidence and the ability to perform repeatable tests. Now if it is a standard assertion that "survival instinct evolved" what is your reference to the repeatable empirical test that backs such a claim? No one should make an assertion based on what is claimed to be a scientific understanding (evolution) unless one follows the requisite steps of the scientific method which is the foundation of forming a scientific understanding.
Wow ... don't get your panties in a twist, geeze. We see this "survival instinct" or "reproduce or die" instinct in bacteria and viruses, and all other living things for that matter. Bacteria without this instinct isn't seen because, obviously enough, they died out. Via evolution/natural selection, those with this instinct passed along their genetic material. Much later down the line, here we are.

KBC1963

Wow ... don't get your panties in a twist, geeze. We see this "survival instinct" or "reproduce or die" instinct in bacteria and viruses, and all other living things for that matter. Bacteria without this instinct isn't seen because, obviously enough, they died out. Via evolution/natural selection, those with this instinct passed along their genetic material. Much later down the line, here we are.

And the scientific evidence you can provide to show that instinct evolved is...............? None.

You see no one denies that instincts exist, we can point it out all over the place. We can watch birds build a nest they have never seen before and see every type of life having a myriad of instincts to help them continue to exist but there is one thing we don't see..............................................

INSTINCT EVOLVING

Show me evidence of a new instinct evolving otherwise you are doing nothing more or less than any other religious person in the assertion of your beliefs.

outhouse

Atheistically
Show me evidence of a new instinct evolving otherwise you are doing nothing more or less than any other religious person in the assertion of your beliefs.

Would you consider higher intellect in conscious thought, an instinct. The natural ability to think and solve problems at a higher level an instinct ?

It is a fixed action pattern is it not?

prometheus11

And the scientific evidence you can provide to show that instinct evolved is...............? None.

You see no one denies that instincts exist, we can point it out all over the place. We can watch birds build a nest they have never seen before and see every type of life having a myriad of instincts to help them continue to exist but there is one thing we don't see..............................................

INSTINCT EVOLVING

Do you understand how evolution happens and how the brain evolved?

Do you completely discount all evolution?

The reason I ask is because if you deny the fact of evolution, I can't help you understand details within it.

outhouse

Atheistically
The question is, what must be in order for what is to be as it is?

My guess is that a "stable" planet with liquid water cannot hold life back.

Abiogenesis starts out with just a single/few simply life form/s, and look at the sheer diversity after 3.5 B years of evolution. Its amazing knowing more life forms have gone extinct then exist.

Sort of like mold on bread, its just going to happen.

Ive given up on panspermia because it just moves the same questions further back in time.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
My guess is that a "stable" planet with liquid water cannot hold life back.

Abiogenesis starts out with just a single/few simply life form/s, and look at the sheer diversity after 3.5 B years of evolution. Its amazing knowing more life forms have gone extinct then exist.

Sort of like mold on bread, its just going to happen.

Ive given up on panspermia because it just moves the same questions further back in time.
Ok...so non-consciousness creates consciousness....and pigs may fly... :)

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Sorry but hat is the academic stance on the topic at this time.

Many people refuse knowledge in favor of mythology.
I am not knocking all academia....just the myth that non-consciousness can give rise to consciousness... There is always a logical explanation for apparent miracles...I do not buy the miracle naked as it is...

Reflex

Everything in existence just as it is... :) peanut please!
Sure, but I'm not content with "just because." Nor am I content with magical thinking--like believing an effect (like consciousness) can be entirely absent in its cause.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
Nor am I content with magical thinking

None is being used.

That would be using a mythological concept to explain what we don't know with certainty.

"just because."

There is no just because. We might find out in the future that all water planets have life.

like believing an effect (like consciousness) can be entirely absent in its cause.

Nothing magic about evolution from non conscious life forms, to conscious life forms. It is factual evolution.

I like more natural possible explanations over imaginative, but that's me personally.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Sure, but I'm not content with "just because." Nor am I content with magical thinking--like believing an effect (like consciousness) can be entirely absent in its cause.
So let us get serious...what do you mean by...Something has to exist that cannot not exist?

Reflex

So let us get serious...what do you mean by...Something has to exist that cannot not exist?
Exactly what I said: if something exists, something exists that cannot not exist. And, unless you prefer to engage in magical thinking (like atheists), that something must be more or different than pure mechanism or chance.

Last edited:

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Exactly what I said: if something exists, something exists that cannot not exist. And, unless you prefer to engage in magical thinking (like atheists), that something must be more or different than pure mechanism or chance.
Gotya...I agree absolutely... It is so perfectly logical that it seems to me a miracle that atheists can't see it...they must be that they are missing a gene? ....:D

prometheus11

ben d,

Atheists say, "we don't know how it happened, but some process caused it to occur."

People who treat some myth or other as fact say something similar to, "invisible and undetected sky wizard did it with a spoken 'spell'."

Which person is using "magic?"