• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is graffiti art or vandalism?

Personally I think it can be both, at the same time and independantly.

I used to commute by train to work and I remember one mural being constructed on my way for about a week, which was amazing and cheered me up,at 6am of a morning :D

Eventually it was cleaned up which seemed more like an act of vandalism then decorating the inside of a grey tunnel, to me anyway. What do you think about it, or do you think about it :D

Aquitaine

For the most part, in my opinion, it's vandalism.

If you wanna paint then go buy a canvas. I dunno 'bout you but I'm tired of seeing some Chav's "sig" on the side of a wall somewhere: "Kevaz was ere 2004" or whatever.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I suppose it depends on whether a particular piece has any artistic merit. Like all other forms of visual expression, some of it is art, and most of it is crap.

For the most part, in my opinion, it's vandalism.

If you wanna paint then go buy a canvas. I dunno 'bout you but I'm tired of seeing some Chav's "sig" on the side of a wall somewhere: "Kevaz was ere 2004" or whatever.

I would always rather have something to read than nothing to read, and
kevaz pinxit is a time honoured form of self expression.

Aquitaine

I suppose it depends on whether a particular piece has any artistic merit. Like all other forms of visual expression, some of it is art, and most of it is crap.

Yeah, that's the problem - anything can be "art" but most of the time (like 99%) it's all just garbage.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
Sure it can be art, but I'm biased, living in L.A. we see the best and worst examples of graffiti art. I think street art tends to make dull and ugly urban areas more interesting. This is just on Melrose Ave.:
497496095_72fd96b232_2.jpg

Bansky is everywhere:
883053956_d1834742a5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone (or probably everyone) has read ''The Tipping Point'' by Malcolm Gladwell, he makes some interesting connections between the crime figures in areas where there is graffiti and run down buildings and areas that are graffiti free and well kept. Where there is no other percievable difference the areas without graffiti have less crime.

However, I think it has it's place in a city , I do agree though, that some of it is just scrawl .

Aquitaine

If anyone (or probably everyone) has read ''The Tipping Point'' by Malcolm Gladwell, he makes some interesting connections between the crime figures in areas where there is graffiti and run down buildings and areas that are graffiti free and well kept. Where there is no other percievable difference the areas without graffiti have less crime.

However, I think it has it's place in a city , I do agree though, that some of it is just scrawl .

Oh that reminds me, there's some sort of social theory to it or whatever, erm...... the "broken window effect" or something like that. Basically where there are areas of poorly cleaned streets and other things, there tends to be a sort of lack of any willingness to try to improve/maintain the general area. The feeling of detachment may also contribute to minor crimes maybe? But I dunno.

The thing is though, one can only truelly support Graffiti so long as they acknowledge that after a person has graffitied something similar to what Nepenthe showed, another person immediately after can cover it all with a large grey square of paint - completely blocking and "ruining" it.

Kinda like a good percentage of RF posts. :cool:

:D

I find it interesting that someone saw this one and scribbled on it, I guess where some see a picture they saw a blank space that needed to be filled, much like the first artist no doubt felt when he saw the wall, but I like this layered aspect of it, it's not at arms length behind glass and it won't last forever (unless there's a volcano :D ) It's not about wine and cheese and hmphing and nodding it is just someone's need to express themselves.

dust1n

Zindīq

That's because in more well off area's, the buildings are generally owned and up kept. If someone puts graffiti on them, they are removed. In places of high crime, no one is going to paint over their building.

dust1n

Zindīq
1154594062_18287c020f.jpg

30005-large.jpg

chp_feminist.jpg

political-graffiti.jpg

shopping-cart.jpg

081_votehere%281%29.jpg

Graffiti Art is generally more in tune with the political and social climate of a location than the actual art from the region is.

That's because in more well off area's, the buildings are generally owned and up kept. If someone puts graffiti on them, they are removed. In places of high crime, no one is going to paint over their building.

They weren't more well off areas.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
:D

I find it interesting that someone saw this one and scribbled on it, I guess where some see a picture they saw a blank space that needed to be filled, much like the first artist no doubt felt when he saw the wall, but I like this layered aspect of it, it's not at arms length behind glass and it won't last forever (unless there's a volcano :D ) It's not about wine and cheese and hmphing and nodding it is just someone's need to express themselves.
That's part of the nature of urban art (too pretentious? :p)- there's the understanding that someone will inevitably come along and add, detract or simply paint over your work. That someone may add more depth and color and interest to it, or it might be a 14 year old kid scrawling his gang name. Whatever happens this stuff is always changing. Grafitti art is obsessive compulsive art, they're not content in leaving an empty space and that's why some of it is so detailed and ornate. It's an attempt to distinguish your tag from another's tag. The problem is when even the basic scrawl of a tagged name is considered art; if every form of expression becomes art then it trivializes art in general.

I don't know about that, there is ''art'' outside my house that reads in blue sharpie

Alan is gay and under it in red Sharpie How do you know? , it made me laugh, but I'm not sure it's art :D there are also a collection of penises (peni?) and vaginas from the bus shelter to the city.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
I don't know about that, there is ''art'' outside my house that reads in blue sharpie

Alan is gay and under it in red Sharpie How do you know? , it made me laugh, but I'm not sure it's art :D there are also a collection of penises (peni?) and vaginas from the bus shelter to the city.
Why would the bus shelter employees offer a gift of penises and vaginas to the city? You have the strangest customs there... :confused: