• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is graffiti art or vandalism?

Why would the bus shelter employees offer a gift of penises and vaginas to the city? You have the strangest customs there... :confused:

Haha, the deliberately misunderstanding the foreigner schtick, how droll.

4117345422.jpg

Ah. I see. Than I suppose it's taste. :)

I think the point he was making, was that if a area seemed like it was looked after then every level of crime dropped, not just vandalism, whereas the appearance of being unkempt made for higher levels of all crimes.

dust1n

Zindīq
I think the point he was making, was that if a area seemed like it was looked after then every level of crime dropped, not just vandalism, whereas the appearance of being unkempt made for higher levels of all crimes.

I see. I'm going to have to pick it up now.

Did he say whether or not graffiti proceeded the crime rates, or the crime rates proceeded the graffiti?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I enjoy murals..

But I will say that I would consider it criminal if any Joe Blow decided that my brick walls of my house was for them to draw on for artistic expression..

Love

Dallas

dust1n

Zindīq
I enjoy murals..

But I will say that I would consider it criminal if any Joe Blow decided that my brick walls of my house was for them to draw on for artistic expression..

Love

Dallas

That's understandable. But most graffiti lands on businesses or apartment buildings.

dust1n

Zindīq
What if I own the business or apratment building?

Love

Dallas

I would be more concerned with the people who work in the office or live in the apartment building.

I honestly don't see what the big deal is, unless the art is so completely obscene that it becomes inappropriate for it's location. Personally, I rather see art covering the buildings than the advertisements that do legally.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I would be more concerned with the people who work in the office or live in the apartment building.

I honestly don't see what the big deal is, unless the art is so completely obscene that it becomes inappropriate for it's location. Personally, I rather see art covering the buildings than the advertisements that do legally.

The big deal is I dont want my property covered in art work that I did not assign or approve of.

If you "personally " dont care thats fine..Let your property be covered by strangers who decided to cover it..There is nothing wrong with that since you dont care..

As well as I never said I didnt care about the workers or the inhabitants..They care too..

Love

Dallas

dust1n

Zindīq
The big deal is I dont want my property covered in art work that I did not assign or approve of.

If you "personally " dont care thats fine..Let your property be covered by strangers who decided to cover it..There is nothing wrong with that since you dont care..

As well as I never said I didnt care about the workers or the inhabitants..They care too..

Love

Dallas

LOL. Ok.

Personally, I don't want to look at private advertisements when I'm using a public system; but ya know.. people do things we don't want regardless.

Peacewise

For me the picture/tag/paintwork is art, whilst putting it on someone else's property makes it vandalism.
Hence I think criminal art might be a decent enough term. I do appreciate the technical skill of some graffiti but I am totally against using someone else's property as the medium to display that skill.

If the graffiti artist had deep respect for their art they wouldn't use an impermanent medium that they have no control over for it's display surface.'

As for the name tags... well all I will say about them is TOY.

Wannabe Yogi

Sure it can be art, but I'm biased, living in L.A. we see the best and worst examples of graffiti art. I think street art tends to make dull and ugly urban areas more interesting.

San Fransico has the same kind history as LA. In fact people now give tours of the murals in the mission district. It's one of the beautiful gifts of Latino culture. It's art for the people.

PrecitaEyesMuralCenter.jpg

mission_mural_10.jpg

dust1n

Zindīq

Love

Dallas

Here's a fun question;

What about public property? Post offices, court houses, etc.

Kerr

Personally I think it can be both, at the same time and independantly.

I used to commute by train to work and I remember one mural being constructed on my way for about a week, which was amazing and cheered me up,at 6am of a morning :D

Eventually it was cleaned up which seemed more like an act of vandalism then decorating the inside of a grey tunnel, to me anyway. What do you think about it, or do you think about it :D
It is both... it all depends on the context I guess.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Here's an interesting photo I took at the temple of Philae in Southern Egypt.

DSC04435.jpg

I've seen a graffiti by one of the most influential researchers of ancient Egypt who is known to have deciphered the Egyptian hieroglyphs.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Monta,
Is graffiti art or vandalism?

The following is what could be gathered and understood on the subject:

Graffiti is the name given to drawings, paintings or images or lettering scratched, scrawled, painted or marked in any manner on property (either legally or illegally).
Graffiti is regarded as art by those who create it, or as vandalism by many recipients. When painted like the images on this page, there is no doubt that graffiti is a form of art for sure.
Graffiti has existed since ancient times, with examples going back to Aincient Greece.
Graffiti art ranges from simple scratch marks to elaborate wall paintings.
In modern times, the materials used are spray paints and markers.
A lot of the time, graffiti is used by young people to communicate social and political messages.
To some, it is an art form worthy of display in galleries and exhibitions, to others it is merely vandalism.
There are many different types and styles of graffiti and it is a rapidly evolving artform.
[sorry could not upload the pictures]

Finally its the viewer's own perspective that decides what *graffiti* is for him/her and which could also be evolving/changing according to time, place, situation, the graffiti itself etc.

Love & rgds