• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Happiness the Meaning and Purpose of Life?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence.”

- Aristotle

Is happiness the meaning and purpose of life? Why or why not?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence.”

- Aristotle

I think that people who constantly seek to be happy, will never be, the same with people who constantly seek freedom. the full life is a life of happiness, sadness, and a variety of other experiences, 'happiness' and freedom arrive through discipline.

dust1n

Zindīq

- Aristotle

No, because there is no meaning and purpose.

However, there is two ways to look at that quote. One being that the whole aim and end of human existence, being that the whole reasons human exist, is happiness. That one I disagree with. Though, if he is saying that humans have made happiness the aim and end of human existence, then I agree. And I think that is really naive of humankind.

Also agree with Caladan. The more your look for happiness, the further away from it you will go. Why? Happiness is not willed, it's an emotional reaction to stimuli, and as an experience, it is basically like forgetting everything more so than it be joyous. So if you are happy when you forget everything that makes you unhappy, then examining yourself in search for happiness is self-defeating, because it is the searching that brings to light all the bad ****. Happiness is a dull and unproductive state, necessary of course, but you can imagine how terrible things would get real quick if everyone in the world just started being happy.

As I have said before, happiness and sadness is not a paradigm.. they are inevitable circumstances, so why one would go bother looking for happiness when it will show up on its own time anyways is beyond me.

The real feeling of life is not happiness, the real feeling of life is to have the widest range of emotions.

Last edited:

Onkara

In Vedanta, a philosophical branch of Sanatana Dharma, Brahman (the Universal Supreme Being) consists of Sat Chit Ananda. Sat is being. Chit is consciousness and Ananda is bliss or happiness.

These are the core, unchanging aspects of Brahman. Humans, due to maya, do not recognise Ananda or bliss/happiness in themselves as a core aspect, so they go in search for happiness outside of them, in material pleasures.

For one school of Vedanta, Sat and Chit are already known so the an aim is to realise Ananda. This realisation brings lasting happiness (whilst living).

Without realising Ananda for oneself, one continues to act in search for happiness without any lasting success because all of life's sensual pleasures have an end.

So yes, for that school of Vedanta, happiness is a part of the meaning of life's purpose.

CarlinKnew

- Aristotle

Sure. My brain is evolutionarily designed to make me feel good (happy) for everything that moves me toward increasing my statistical probability of survival and reproduction.

Diederick

This question can be answered differently by different persons, though I think there is an answer which is better than others.

We as humans are a sorry bunch, sitting around here wondering what the hell is happening and, most troubling, why. The curse of the naked ape is his eternal quest for answers to everything. Sadly there is no ultimate answer to everything (like 42) and things are so complex no one human could possibly have an understanding of it all. It probably won't fit in our brains.

Most people don't bother with questions about why we are here and what we are supposed to do with 'the time we are given'. They either don't get that deep or adhere to some system of belief and leave it at that, comfortable the system answers their questions. Those who do look for an answer, struggle.

Spiritual considerations aside (I don't do spirituality), I think we can look at the question of "why are we here" from a very materialistic perspective. We are a social animal species, we all (unless we have a neurological defect) care for others in a very special way. Our altruism actually extends beyond our own species. Considering that, it seems obvious we are rigged to care for each other, attempt to support each other in leading a good life. "Good" can mean many things, but to me, it seems "good" is leading a life which was of profit to the species and to the individual. Because we all die which ultimately leaves us without use of the eventual profit, I think the profit to the species is primary. An individual should lead a life which is fulfilling, and as happy as possible.

So yes, I guess we do live for the happiness of us and our kin.

"An it harm none, do what ye will." ...is a vital suggestion.

mohammed_beiruti

- Aristotle

self Satisfaction, which necessarly produce peace of mind.

you may look for temporary happiness, but you rather look for permanent.

no scriptures, it is just my opinion

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
We as humans are a sorry bunch, sitting around here wondering what the hell is happening and, most troubling, why. The curse of the naked ape is his eternal quest for answers to everything. Sadly there is no ultimate answer to everything (like 42) and things are so complex no one human could possibly have an understanding of it all. It probably won't fit in our brains.

I liken our quest to understand the natural world and our place in it to a grand architectural project. Small projects can be completed within an individual lifetime and may even be built and designed by one person, but grand projects like cathedrals may take generations. Hundereds of people may have a say in the building's design and overall finished look. The building may be too large and detailed for any one person to behold completely, (I can only see one side of the building at a time and can't see both the inside and the outside simultaneously) but many people might be able to put their knowledge together to form a complete description.

Midnight Pete

Isn't the pursuit of happiness what we all make of our lives? The difference is how we define that happiness, how we pursue it, and what effect that pursut has on others.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
If HAPPINESS is defined as “peace of mind”, which I think is how Aristotle (fan of balance) saw it; I believe it could be.
And, though my own peace of mind is dependent on the context of my life, much of it, is up to me: I can search for a better understanding of reality and contribute to harmonious human interaction; I can refrain from acting against my [socially fabricated] conscience; I can replace personal views which are not constructive [in creating peace of mind]; etc.
Life will eventually make one who pays attention realise, that no lasting happiness is possible if causing unhappiness elsewhere. Therefore, even personal happiness, in fact requires a hint of selflessness. This is a lesson which can take long to learn and some, perhaps, never have the pleasure of doing so.
Once attained, the happiness of peace of mind is however the sort that generates positive beings and, these people are undoubtedly experts in spreading the joy!
Acquiring [happiness of] peace of mind then, may well be worth the effort. So, why not make it the meaning and purpose of life? J

BruceDLimber

Ultimately and indirectly, yes!

But we're given specific guidance on what we need to be doing here and now to achieve this ultimate happiness.

The Baha'i Faith states that our purpose here is twofold:

· As individuals we are to acquire the spiritual virtues we'll need both here and in the Next Life.
· In aggregate, we're to carry forward an ever-advancing, spiritually-based civilization.

And the purpose of religion is to show us HOW to go about this!

Peace, :)

Bruce

St Giordano Bruno

I think the purpose in life is to just merely exist and to perpetuate our genetic information for the survival of our species. During the process of sexual intercourse just happens to be at the climax of pleasure and happiness for many of us, so happiness on that occasion is genetically programmed into us to make it feel as pleasurable as possible to maximize to potential to reproduce ourselves.

lunamoth

Will to love
"Fulfilled" seems like it would be a better descriptor than happy. Happiness on its own just seems a bit empty of content. Fulfilled, to me, implies a life well-lived with interesting and productive work done, loving, lasting relationships created and enjoyed, and satisfying endeavors pursued.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

- Aristotle

I really can't answer the question but there was a passage in a book (this is not word for word). The book was by Louisa May Alcott and it was called Eight Cousins. In it, the young girl Rose (who was the protagonist)was talking to her uncle Alec, who said he had quit smoking for his nephews (7 of them). She asked "was it hard to do?" he replied that, to his shame, it was hard and quoted "it is not necessary to be happy but it is necessary to do what is right" Or something like that.

That is what came into my head when I read the question instead of an answer.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
If it is the meaning and purpose of life, then people in general are not well suited for meaning and purpose, as most people have a much stronger drive to do what works for them, regardless of how happy it makes them.