• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Happiness the Meaning and Purpose of Life?

Walkntune

I don't think happiness is the meaning and purpose of life but I believe it is to walk in Love.
Happiness and joy come along as a benefit. Love is more than a feeling but it is a wholeness and completeness where you learn to let go of all separation which starts in the mind as thoughts.Thoughts create separation between the right and left brain and from there choices and conflict.When you walk in love there is no separation and you are whole and complete.

idea

Question Everything
the true reality

For now we see through a glass, darkly; ...
(1 Corinthians 13:12)

there are illusions, and our minds can play tricks on us,
but there is something under it all

"it is like trying to savor the delicate flavor of a grape while eating a jalapeño pepper. Both flavors are present, but one completely overpowers the other." - link

just a matter of getting rid of the jalapeños.

idea

Question Everything
I don't think happiness is the meaning and purpose of life but I believe it is to walk in Love..

I thought that too... but then love and happiness (the real kind of happiness) are rather inseparably connected... so finding one, is finding the other, and visa versa.

Walkntune

I thought that too... but then love and happiness (the real kind of happiness) are rather inseparably connected... so finding one, is finding the other, and visa versa.
The difference is happiness is circumstantial while to love is choice.But I agree happiness or i would rather say true joy comes from love.

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
To achieve happiness wouldn't you just have to be happy? Do whatever to make you happy, and if you are sad you will just have to try to make it better or live with it.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
To achieve happiness wouldn't you just have to be happy? Do whatever to make you happy, and if you are sad you will just have to try to make it better or live with it.
Originally Posted by sky dancer
Funny, how people think happiness is the absence of pain and sorrow.

The Sum of Awe said:
sky dancer said:
Funny, how people think happiness is the absence of pain and sorrow.
What is it if that's not it? If that is not what happiness is, I don't want happiness.

Dear The Sum of Awe,
Though things are never so complicated, really; perhaps they are less shallow? http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/2469551-post12.html

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence.”

- Aristotle

Is happiness the meaning and purpose of life? Why or why not?

Not directly. The meaning or purpose of life is about growth and maturity, realisation and wisdom and evolution of the Self. Happiness is a natural consequence of reaching one's greatest potential on the path of Realisation. imo.

Wombat

“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence.”

- Aristotle

Is happiness the meaning and purpose of life? Why or why not?

I don't believe it is "the meaning and purpose of life"...but it is certainly a reasonable focus and objective-

"O God! Refresh and gladden my spirit. Purify my heart. Illumine my powers. I lay all my affairs in Thy hand. Thou art my Guide and my Refuge. I will no longer be sorrowful and grieved; I will be a happy and joyful being. O God! I will no longer be full of anxiety, nor will I let trouble harass me. I will not dwell on the unpleasant things of life.
O God! Thou art more friend to me than I am to myself. I dedicate myself to Thee, O Lord." 'Abdu'l-Bahá

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
No. I didn't say that. You're the one who says dying is nothingness.
I'm sorry if it appeared I put words into your mouth. But if you leave it all behind, what's left besides nothing?

If you live each moment as if it you weren't sure if it was your last, you will be happy.
You will be happy until you die and leave it all behind. It's good if you can look at it that way. The lack of permanace would be really hard on me.

youfaith

Happiness is a moving target. If you can achieve and maintain it, then you're sitting in an enviable position.