• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Happiness the Meaning and Purpose of Life?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence.”

- Aristotle

Is happiness the meaning and purpose of life? Why or why not?
It's worth noting that Aristotle's view of happiness was broader than the word means now. "Happiness" is not a perfect translation of what he meant.
Aristotle's goal, like many of his contemporaries, was about eudaimonia.

Rather than simply talking about the subjective feeling of happiness, he meant a sense of happiness worth having- happiness that is based on truth and virtue. His view of a "happy" or "eudaimon" person was someone who was virtuous in the sense that they are courageous, wise, skilled, and disciplined, and that they felt great achievement from who they are and what they've done. Someone can even be somewhat eudaimon even if they are fairly subjectively unhappy- like if they suffer great misfortune but they dealt with it in an honorable or fitting way.

I agree with Aristotle, and I agree with him more than with his contemporaries on this matter. I wouldn't particularly use the words "meaning and purpose", especially in a biological sense, but they are applicable in a philosophical sense.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It sounds to be in complete harmony with LDS doctrine: "Men are that they might have joy."

idea

Question Everything
Yes, it's all about finding joy - there is quite a lot involved in attaining a deep fullness of joy though... personal triumphs, inner peace, to love and be loved... is there an upper bound in how much joy you can attain? an eternal endeavor with unlimited potential for infinite progression - no upper bound in how much joy you can experience... that's the beauty of it.

sky dancer

And so what's the point of it all? The meaning of life is to prepare for nothingness?
No. I didn't say that. You're the one who says dying is nothingness.

If you live each moment as if it you weren't sure if it was your last, you will be happy.

Last edited:

idea

Question Everything
The meaning of life is to prepare to die. When we die, we leave it all behind.

learning to let go is a gateway to happiness...

ever desiring, grasping, never content...

or letting go of it all...

for me "letting go of desires" = "putting it in God's hands" .. having faith/trust in God... the more I can trust God with it all, the more I can let go of it all, and the happier I become.

sky dancer

It's not necessary to believe in God in order to let go. When we die, we leave everything we are attached to behind. Our bodies, our families and loved ones, our wealth, our personality.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Sunstone,

“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence.”- Aristotle

Could add that *man is born happy to remain so; but lays his own trap, to be sad!*

LOve & rgds

idea

Question Everything
Friend Sunstone,

Could add that *man is born happy to remain so; but lays his own trap, to be sad!*

LOve & rgds

we are born happy, but I think there is a greater joy which can only be achieved on the other side of sad... sadness fosters appreciation. ... like a cup of water, the thirstier you get, the more you appreciate the water... so perhaps the sadder you get, the happier you can become?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend idea,

You missed the point.
You have started to think which is exactly what the whole idea of happiness is all about. STILL the THOUGHTS!
When one is born thoughts are still and slowly as thoughts drive the child he is swayed away from happiness.
Thoughts are what keeps one away from happiness.

Love & rgds

sky dancer

we are born happy, but I think there is a greater joy which can only be achieved on the other side of sad... sadness fosters appreciation. ... like a cup of water, the thirstier you get, the more you appreciate the water... so perhaps the sadder you get, the happier you can become?
We aren't born happy. Birth is pretty uncomfortable.

idea

Question Everything
Friend idea,
You have started to think which is exactly what the whole idea of happiness is all about.

some thoughts keep us from happiness, others bring happiness..
for me it's not a matter of getting rid of all thoughts, but controlling what stays and what you let go of... it brings me peace and happiness to think about the ocean, about the stars, about my children, about all the simple pure beautiful things in life. Keep and more fully explore the good, get rid of the bad...

Cordoba

“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence.”

- Aristotle

Is happiness the meaning and purpose of life? Why or why not?

Yes, but that includes the afterlife, not only this life

To live a happy life here and in the Hereafter for a believer means to get to know our Creator and follow His Guidance in order to find peace

idea

Question Everything
We aren't born happy. Birth is pretty uncomfortable.

LOL, yes, metaphorically speaking though, childhood can be a pretty happy time. Jesus and many others council us to become as children for a reason... many older people do just that, and it is a beautiful thing to see them leave the world with the same mindset that they came into it with.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend idea,

some thoughts keep us from happiness, others bring happiness..

Kindly do not take it personally.
Am not against any one but only trying to point the fact that THOUGHTS are what keeps the individual away from being happy from being in the garden of eden from heaven. It is all HERE-NOW.
No thought brings happiness as that happiness you speak of is also an illusion a mental creation. mind [satan] is very cleaver in creating illusions even creates heaven with fairies and bar girls etc.
Only when the mind is stilled and thought waves do not generate to distort the true reality till such times it is an illusionary world.

Love & rgds