• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is hell fair?

DarkSun

:eltiT
Thanks for that link Km.

I've just skimmed through that link. Thanks for the information.

:eek:

It was the Gospel of Luke that I was referring to, just for clarification. It was intended for a different audience compared to the others, and in it, Jesus refers to Hell, more so than in Matthew, Mark and John.

I mean really,you won't find a piece of text like this in the other Gospels:

LUKE 13
25 "Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, 'Sir, open the door for us.'
"But he will answer, 'I don't know you or where you come from.'
"Then you will say, 'We ate and drank with you, and you taught in our streets.'
"But he will reply, 'I don't know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!'
"There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but you yourselves thrown out. 29People will come from east and west and north and south, and will take their places at the feast in the kingdom of God."

It just goes to show how time and place effects what a person is going to say. The other three members of the canon never put as much emphasis on Hell as Luke did. It's pretty logical to connect the fact that Luke was writing for a different audience, and then deduce that the concept of Hell was just used for some human reason. If it weren't, the other Gospels would have been the same as Luke.

Again, I'm sorry to anyone I've offended by saying this. This is just what it looks like to me.

:sorry1:

vandervalley

Q. Say someone died 6,000 years ago, and went to this eternal hell. Then they will be always 6,000 years ahead of an unsaved person who dies today. Don't you think 6,000 years of extra torture is unfair of God?

I answer that,

After another six thousand years, the first person will have 12,000 years of torture, and the second will have 6,000 years of torture. That means the first person will have twice as much torture as the second person.

Another six thousand years after that, the first person will have 18,000 years of torture, and the second person will have 12,000 years of torture. That means the first person will have (18,000/12,000)= 1.5 times as much torture as the second person.

Say a million years have gone by. The first person will have 1,006,000 years of torture, divided by the million years of torture of the second person, for a ratio of 1.006.

You see that as you approach infinity, the amount of torture the second person suffers approaches the same amount of torture the first person suffers. So it is fair of God after all.

ur theory is mathematically incorrect.

infinity over infinity is undefined.

which means the unfairness of Christian hell is undefined.

Try Buddhist hell; where everyone gets the chance to be reborn again after they served their time :D

DarkSun

Um... no.

Her maths is actually spot on.

^_^ '

That much I agree with.

And Buddhists don't actually have "Hell" as such. They believe that the only "Hell" is created by man on earth. It's called Dhakka, I believe.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Buddhist hell came from... :)

Hinduism(right?)

And Buddhists don't actually have "Hell" as such. They believe that the only "Hell" is created by man on earth. It's called Dhakka, I believe.

Not true, there are many different schools of Buddhism and some of them do believe in a Hell in which one who has done really bad goes to it and suffers till the pay there do and then is reborn.

kai

ragamuffin
Hell does not really exist, does it? I always had the idea that hell and heaven was on earth.

dont worry about it penguino you wont be alone down there,,,,,,,,why is it always down there? why is down bad up good?

DarkSun

Not true, there are many different schools of Buddhism and some of them do believe in a Hell in which one who has done really bad goes to it and suffers till the pay there do and then is reborn.

Theravada Buddhists are humanistic in that they believe that suffering is primarily caused by a person's own actions.

<Buddhism Lecture>

You may want to close your eyes.

=P

Sin and suffering are known as Dhakka. Dhakka, whether caused by an individual, or another around them, is believed to have an effect on the Kharma of that individual. The life they lead, when being reborn after death, is believed to be caused by the Kharma possessed by the individual in their previous life. The cycle of death, rebirth and back again is known as Samsara. Samsara only ends when a person has reached enlightenment, and enlightenment can be obtained through obeying/respecting the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path. The final resting place for one who has obtained enlightnement is known as Nirvana.

</Buddhism Lecture>

Mahayana Buddhists acknowledge a few other doctrines, though, from what I've heard. You're probably right there, but I'm not sure.

I was generalising, though. I meant Theravada Buddhism....

^_^ \/

astarath

Regardless of the definition of hell, as Christians our focus should never be the definition and propaghandisation of hell but rather our focus and actions should reflect the message of love and acceptance that Christ came, lived and died for. This constant fear tactic of "face the truth or burn" is not how Jesus spoke to those in need!