• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Islamophobia bigotry?

VioletVortex

Yes, it is by definition bigotry. The term refers to discrimination or prejudice of others based on the opinions they hold, and "Islamophobia" falls under this. That is irrelevant, though, as given the circumstances, it seems like a natural fear

Akivah

Are people to be blamed for bigotry, or are they just being cautious in light that radical terrorism in the name of islam makes people distrust Muslims in general?

Who's fault is it when people are made to feel that way? Themselves, media, or Islamist jihad?

Islamaphobia is a fake word, that should be expunged from the English language. The word is used by Muslims in an attempt to portray accusations against them as being psychotic or irrational. Given the terrorism and warfare generated by Muslim adherents, anti-muslim thought and belief is perfectly valid in response to their actions.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Yes, it is by definition bigotry. The term refers to discrimination or prejudice of others based on the opinions they hold, and "Islamophobia" falls under this. That is irrelevant, though, as given the circumstances, it seems like a natural fear

I disagree. Because 'Islamophobia' does not have a widely agreed upon definition it is so often applied against reasonable criticism of Islam or Muslim behaviours resulting from belief in Islam. The term actually takes advantage of genuine instances of Muslim persecution (like the Rohingya in Burma or Shia Muslims in Iraq & Syria) and twists these into a weapon aimed at those who speak out against the faith; presumably to make it look as though they're spreading misinformation. There's also the problem of Islamophiles being too slow to appreciate that you can criticise a belief system without attacking the people who adhere to it.

The Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain, a group which helps ex-Muslims and those wish to leave the faith do so safely, has recently been accused of 'Islamophobia' because they took part in a Pride march in London carrying signs with slogans like 'Allah is gay', 'Throw Isis off rooftops', 'Green Lanes mosque incites murder of LGBT', 'We're here, we're kaffir, get used to it!'.

The Islamophilia brigade was out in force assuming offence on behalf of Muslims even though they didn't take the time to give signs like 'Jesus had two daddies' any kind of scrutiny and demanding that the CEMB be shut out of the march or, at the very least, have their signs 'Allah is gay' confiscated.

Last edited:

VioletVortex

I disagree. 'Islamophobia' does not have a widely agreed upon definition it is so often applied against reasonable criticism of Islam or Muslim behaviours resulting from belief in Islam. The term actually takes advantage of genuine instances of Muslim persecution (like the Rohingya in Burma or Shia Muslims in Iraq & Syria) and twists these into a weapon aimed at those who speak out against the faith; presumably to make it look as though they're spreading misinformation. There's also the problem of Islamophiles being too slow to appreciate that you can criticise a belief system without attacking the people who adhere to it.

The Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain, a group which helps ex-Muslims and those wish to leave the faith do so safely, has recently been accused of 'Islamophobia' because they took part in a Pride march in London carrying signs with slogans like 'Allah is gay', 'Throw Isis off rooftops', 'Green Lanes mosque incites murder of LGBT', 'We're here, we're kaffir, get used to it!'.

The Islamophilia brigade was out in force assuming offence on behalf of Muslims even though they didn't take the time to give signs like 'Jesus had two daddies' any kind of scrutiny and demanding that the CEMB be shut out of the march or, at the very least, have their signs 'Allah is gay' confiscated.

Valid point; the term is often applied to simple criticism of the religion from a factual standpoint. Having prejudice towards anyone of any religion based on the religion practiced is by definition bigotry, but that's where it gets weird and easy to throw around. That's why I never use the term; it's worthless in pointing out actual issues.

The way I see it, Christianity and Islam are both puppets of the same main objective with some aspects creating intentional foils to result in conflict. At the core, they are the same thing.

Flankerl

Obviously, there are some disgruntled people in this world who want our attention and want to be listened to. But what are they saying?

blkkyig7.jpg

rpixr7yx.jpg

HonestJoe

I'm saying they have legitimate reasons to be suspicious, paranoid, and on edge. Of course they wouldn't fear all Muslims...
That's the point though. The OP suggests fearing all Muslims could be justified but you give a great example of how irrational that is. There's nothing wrong with caution in relation to defined threats and even fear is understandable, but that isn't what the OP is talking about.

Milton Platt

Are people to be blamed for bigotry, or are they just being cautious in light that radical terrorism in the name of islam makes people distrust Muslims in general?

Who's fault is it when people are made to feel that way? Themselves, media, or Islamist jihad?

Definition of bigot
  1. : a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance. Pretty much all religious groups tend to fall under this definition....not, not all members.....but usually the group as a whole.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I'm saying they have legitimate reasons to be suspicious, paranoid, and on edge. Of course they wouldn't fear all Muslims, but given Shia and Sunni Muslims have a long history of not getting along, and given ISIS is a Sunni extremist group, yes, it becomes understandable if certain things, including Sunni identity, may trigger them to a degree. That is why I said it's hard to call it bigotry rather than survival. It's a completely different situation than what we know in Europe and North America.
However, here in America, everyone can **** off about it. For Americans, Muslims terrorists just aren't going to be your death. It happens to a few, but drunk drivers killed more people during 2001 than those few Muslim terrorists who carried out the 9/11 attack. Here, if you are are scared, suspicious, or paranoid, you have no real or legitimate purpose or reason for feeling so.

I think you have to let the topic of terrorism go. It is more or less a red herring.

Instead, focus on how Islam's core values compare to the West's. Explore why the world's Islamic leaders refused to accept the Universal Declaraion on Human Rights, and created a Sharia-friendly version instead (the Cairo Declaration on Human Rights in Islam). Compare those two documents, and see how strongly many Muslims cling to ideas like blasphemy and apostasy as being crimes. This isn't terrorism, it's a clash of important fundamental values.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I think you have to let the topic of terrorism go. It is more or less a red herring.

Instead, focus on how Islam's core values compare to the West's. Explore why the world's Islamic leaders refused to accept the Universal Declaraion on Human Rights, and created a Sharia-friendly version instead (the Cairo Declaration on Human Rights in Islam). Compare those two documents, and see how strongly many Muslims cling to ideas like blasphemy and apostasy as being crimes. This isn't terrorism, it's a clash of important fundamental values.

I think this is one of the best posts in the thread so far. Gun-carrying terrorists are a fringe, conspicuous minority; passive extremism in the form of regressive and inhumane values is more widespread and more insidious, especially when it gets less attention than it should in mainstream media.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
It is always bigoted to ascribe -- without justification -- some attribute to all members of any group because some who might in one sense be part of that group have that attribute. There are Muslims who are radicalized and wish to kill. This does not say anything about all Muslims, any more than saying that there are some priests who like diddling children speaks about the proclivities of all priests.

I personally abhor the missionary Christian who fervently wishes to take away the beliefs and culture of someone else "for their own good," according to their own lights. But I do not suppose that all Christians wish to do that.

We are all individuals, and we all deserve to be treated as individuals. As it happens, I'm gay, but I would be offended if you assumed that therefore I must have a lisp and great artistic talent. (As it happens, by the way, I've struggled with a slight lisp all my life, and have desperately wished that I had any artistic talent at all -- I don't!)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Instead, focus on how Islam's core values compare to the West's.
Yes, but to do that you have to also to consider how Christianity's core values compare to the West's. There are major discrepancies, and ultimately the Bible is fundamentally incompatible with contemporary Western values, more-or-less to the same extent that the Quran is. I'm not trying to dismiss the influence of religion, but rather highlighting there are many more issues to it than that.
Another issue of the practical impossibility of knowing how the "average Joe" of the Muslim world actually feels, because not agreeing full heartedly with the state/Quran runs the risk of breaking blasphemy laws.
I wish it were an easy discussion, but it just can't be dismissed as just an issue or religion, or just an issue of oil, but rather so many factors and variables and the lingering effects of history that about the only things we can say with certainty is that the Quran, just as the Bible, teaches, condones, supports, and mandates inhumane barbarism, and that the current state of the Muslim world is abysmal. It used to not always be so backwards and education-shy, and seemingly "sunk" to a Medieval Europe level.
There is so much psychology, politics, religion, ethnic/tribal conflicts, and such a long history that got them to where they are today that writing a book is pretty much the only suitable way to adequately cover the subject. Religion is but just one piece of the puzzle.

Deidre

I think to assume that all Muslims could be potential terrorists is what I'd consider to be Islamaphobia. It's not wrong to try to keep a country safe from terrorism, but it's wrong to broad brush an entire group of people over the actions of a few.

Notanumber

A Free Man
I think to assume that all Muslims could be potential terrorists is what I'd consider to be Islamaphobia. It's not wrong to try to keep a country safe from terrorism, but it's wrong to broad brush an entire group of people over the actions of a few.

It depends upon the ideology that that group of people follow. I doubt that any new group of people that decided to follow an ideology with similar aims as that of Islam would be treated so kindly in western society.

How is Islam getting away with it?

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I often seen the word Islamophobia being misused to shut down critique of Islam or some interpretation of it. There's nothing wrong with pointing out that some ideas within Islam are horrible and to question whether Muhammad was a good example or not.

There's a difference between disliking the religion and Muslims. One is a set of beliefs, the other is individuals. Individuals vary in how they interpret those beliefs, how they apply them and how they conduct themselves in everyday life. It's irrational to think that critiquing beliefs is the same as hating a group of people.

I find it does a disservice to victims of true anti-Muslim hatred and discrimination to use the term Islamophobia in that way.

Akivah

It depends upon the ideology that that group of people follow. I doubt that any new group of people that decided to follow an ideology with similar aims as that of Islam would be treated so kindly in western society.

They have an excellent grasp on the media.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
True Islamophobia is probably bigotry. But the word is savagely abused and used to mask and discredit quite a lot of very legitimate denouncement and criticism.

By comparision, true Islamophobia is nearly inconsequential, even rare.

Deidre

collective cultural apathy

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

To blame or be scared of over 1 billion people plus and minus the extremists is bigotry. It is equivalent to saying "all blacks are thugs" then continue to cite statistics when the 20 plus African-Americans down the street may not even sneeze on you.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Possibly but its standard and written in the Quran in Islam so the bigotry Inside never change whereas peoples attitude can.

Your avatar is offensive. It reminds me of the coward crusaders that murdered the Muslims and Jews when taking Jerusalem....Not just the men, but women and the children (In my Anakin Skywalker voice). Anyway your Bible talks about a lot of killing and sexist things...

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
To blame or be scared of over 1 billion people plus and minus the extremists is bigotry. It is equivalent to saying "all blacks are thugs" then continue to cite statistics when the 20 plus African-Americans down the street may not even sneeze on you.

Not a very good comparison, though. Islaam is an ideology, not an ethnic group.

And one has to consider what that ideology actually teaches. There is genuine reason to be wary of Islaam.

Your avatar is offensive. It reminds me of the coward crusaders that murdered the Muslims and Jews when taking Jerusalem....Not just the men, but women and the children (In my Anakin Skywalker voice). Anyway your Bible talks about a lot of killing and sexist things...

Excuse me?

Haven't you just called for avoiding prejudgments?

How exactly works the logic that refuses statements that Islaam is to be watched against while at the same time says that it is offensive to use an avatar of a Templar Knight?

Oh, and I am fairly certain that @England my lionheart does not feel any particular connection to the Bible.