• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it best to find a religion and stick to it or swap around?

Onkara

Yes, thanks again, Eselem.
Madhuri (and you) are spot on in my opinion also. It is doubt or "ignorance" which makes us restless. Proper study and time are probably the remedy. :)

Is it better for people to chose a religion in the first place or not? To what extent does the word 'choose' apply? Are subsequent changes in religion good? Does the value of these changes depend on the circumstances of the initial religious status? Does the value of these choices boil down to what the individual really wants at any specific moment in time? Does the individual always know what is best for themselves? Even if not, is the process of mistake and learning the real value?
Why might an individual ever choose to subscribe to any religion? To what extent is both sticking to any one religion, and moving between different religions demonstrating a misconception that spiritual enlightenment is dependant on an established religion?

Not sure why i answered totally in questions, i think my mind leans that way today. :p

I believe in God, that doesn't mean I have a defeatest attitude about religions that differ from mine. Unless those religions are causing harm or pain to innocent people.

chinu

chinu
In your personal opinion, is it better to find a religion and stick to it and make it work for you, or is it better to switch religions when you feel like it?

Of course if the religion works for you already, would it make sense to not compare it with others but rather concentrate on it specifically?

Just wondering what you might think :)

"Tainu chor nal ki,
Tainu sadh nal ki,
Tu apani Muka,
Tainu hor nal ki."

English: Do not bother for sinner or any religious person, just think about yourself.

_/\_ Chinu.

Onkara

Thank you Chinu Ji
Where is that quote from, or is it your own? :)

My impression today is that we should embrace all, and take what we can to help us, but there is no limitation if we follow a single religion, as long as that religion does not limit our learning from all religions.

SLAMH

In your personal opinion, is it better to find a religion and stick to it and make it work for you, or is it better to switch religions when you feel like it?

Good question, I think it depends on. First, I don't think we should make religion work for us as it will be kind of making an illusion a fact by nothing, but a mere acceptance and radical view. I think it is better to shift your position whenever you need to. If you think the religion you are following is flawed, then never hesitate to look for the truer path to take.

Of course if the religion works for you already, would it make sense to not compare it with others but rather concentrate on it specifically?

Again, I can't frame what you mean by making religion work for us, anyway you should compare it with other religions as another way to prove it or otherwise to find it to be refuted by this comparison. At anyway you will confirm your faith and know if you need to convert or not.

Alceste

Vagabond
The most important thing is to know yourself. Once you know yourself, you can determine whether you need religion in your life, and which religion suits you best.

Onkara

The most important thing is to know yourself. Once you know yourself, you can determine whether you need religion in your life, and which religion suits you best.

Thanks Alceste, in which way should one know oneself to know one's religion? Do you mean likes and dislikes or something else?

Onkara

Good question, I think it depends on. First, I don't think we should make religion work for us as it will be kind of making an illusion a fact by nothing, but a mere acceptance and radical view. I think it is better to shift your position whenever you need to. If you think the religion you are following is flawed, then never hesitate to look for the truer path to take.

Again, I can't frame what you mean by making religion work for us, anyway you should compare it with other religions as another way to prove it or otherwise to find it to be refuted by this comparison. At anyway you will confirm your faith and know if you need to convert or not.

Thanks SLAMH
I can see your point, if you mean that the religion should be perfect, it should fit us. The thing I see is that many people find parts of religion harder to accept than the whole religion and these little things, such as diet, or clothes, mean the person is put off the religion. Perhaps these people should stick to it anyway and make it fit them eventually.

chinu

chinu
Thank you Chinu Ji
Where is that quote from, or is it your own? :)
I hope you can understand puinjabi :)
The quote is devloped by old punjabi sages.
My impression today is that we should embrace all, and take what we can to help us, but there is no limitation if we follow a single religion, as long as that religion does not limit our learning from all religions.
You are a real "Sikh"
"Sikh" means "Seeker" or "Who always try to learn good things" :)

Onkara ji, "Sat Shri Akal" by Chinu.

Onkara

Sat Sir Akal Chinu Ji
I cannot speak Punjabi, it would be good if I could learn Punjabi one day to help me enjoy kirtan and Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji much more.
I like the definition of Sikh, as seeker of truth and good things :D

Alceste

Vagabond
Thanks Alceste, in which way should one know oneself to know one's religion? Do you mean likes and dislikes or something else?

I think that a reasonable period of quiet contemplation, keeping a journal and observing the natural world with an open heart and mind will usually result in some kind of metaphysical impression or cosmology and a basic philosophy that is in harmony with your nature. Then there may be a religion that seems to share this cosmology and philosophy, or there may not. If there is, and you desire to be involved in a spiritual community, then obviously it makes sense to join it.

SLAMH

The thing I see is that many people find parts of religion harder to accept than the whole religion.

and this a horrible thing, choosing to be religious or choosing not to embrace any religion must stem of the fact that you really think the choice that you made is true, whether you like it or you don't like it is not the case. There are too many things which I don't like in Islam, but because I know that life doesn't work for my desires and because I have not found any other philosophy that seems to be truer than what I found in Islam, I'm accepting them and doing what I can do to fulfill them.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Just wondering what you might think :)

Honestly I am of the opinion that you should stick with whatever religion you personally choose, until such a time arrives by which you simply cannot stick with it any longer. ;0)

Hi! Holy Scriptures encourage us to examine Scriptures (Acts 17:11, 12)
So, when the time goes by, and you come to understanding that you disagree with some of the religious concepts you have been taught from your childhood, it is good to look for what is right in God's eyes. Searching for true religion means looking for ways to please God. In the same time, the true religion is one, and that is one whose followers live up by Bible's standards. (Matthew 7:16, 17)

ConfusedKuri

What I have come to realise is there will always be things in a religion that will bother you, but you have to learn to deal with them, accept them or accept them not, but if I switch from one faith to another you will always be displeased somehow.
I also agree with Alceste's view on knowing oneself and one's desires.

Speaking for myself I have come to the conclusion that I really love Islam, but I just don't get along with Muslims at all.

Onkara

Thanks all, for the additional replies. My feeling, based on these replies, is there comes a point, despite the wonder of comparative religions and an interest in them all, that it helps to steady the mind by focusing on one. This should be done privately, for oneself and until that path feels that it has served it point (to arrive at 'God' or the ultimate truth). :)

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Do you think it leads to specific problems?

I think it's best to examine all religions, philosophies, ideologies, etc. from an objective, analytical perspective, and take from them only the useful aspects while tossing the useless aspects aside, and continue to build and grow from that.