• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it Delusional to Believe You can Love Everyone?

Heneni

Miss Independent
Its not possible to hate everybody. If anything most people who love themselves truly well dont like others too much. Its takes some of their spotlight.

Its not possible to love everybody while busy hating some. Give up hate and love is the only other alternative. Some people think that love means 'let me do whatever i want'. So they will feel most people who dont let them do whatever they want are hateful.

Heneni

Truth_Faith13

No I dont think it is because there are people out there who do and they are superhuman! Interestingly it is usually the Amish who can and forgive everything which happens and still love the people who wronged them.

Personally I dont, but then I am only human and non of us are perfect!

gnostic

The Lost One
I could certainly hate whole-heartedly, those who rape women and molest children. I could certainly not love them.

Can you?

Give me a knife, I would cut off their balls, penis and hands, and gouge out their eyes. And even that punishment is not enough.

These people don't deserve love or forgiveness.

I could not understand if anyone could love everyone, such as the criminals mentioned above.

Last edited:

tomspug

Absorbant
Love is an action, not an idea. So you only have the ability to love as many people as you come in contact with (or indirect contact).

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
doppelgänger;1335449 said:
Yes. Because there'd be no "me" left.

Damn! Another post that makes me wish I hadn't squandered all my frubals last night on acts of self-love.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I say it is not delusional. Love is an experience, and there are times that I experience myself as being part of a majestic reality of which my fellow "reality sharers" are intricately a part.

If I can love myself, I can love the world that I sometimes wholeheartedly embrace.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Is it delusional to believe you can love everyone? Why or why not?
I definately don't love everyone. There are some people Will Rodgers never met.
41HNrITKrZL._SL500_AA280_.gif

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Let's try this: Like is truly love. Anyone you don't hate you either like or love. That means that everyone you don't hate, you love. So if you hate no one, then you love everyone (Okay, so this is flawed logic, but I never said I was logical. )

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I could certainly hate whole-heartedly, those who rape women and molest children. I could certainly not love them.

Can you?

Give me a knife, I would cut off their balls, penis and hands, and gouge out their eyes. And even that punishment is not enough.

What he said.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I think it's more likely to be able to love everyone than to hate everyone.

Going around hating everyone is gonna get you killed before you meet everyone.

Can you?

But that's not really curing the problem, only the symptom.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

Can you?

Actually, I greatly admire those who can forgive folks who commit such acts. I think of the Amish, specifically. Remember a few years when that guy held up, raped, and killed those Amish kids, then shot himself? I was taken aback when I heard that the parents of those kids actually went to the guy's funeral and offered consolation to the family of the murderer.

That kind of love and forgiveness is beyond the norm and I can't help but admire it.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Actually, I greatly admire those who can forgive folks who commit such acts. I think of the Amish, specifically. Remember a few years when that guy held up, raped, and killed those Amish kids, then shot himself? I was taken aback when I heard that the parents of those kids actually went to the guy's funeral and offered consolation to the family of the murderer.

That kind of love and forgiveness is beyond the norm and I can't help but admire it.

That's precious, but do you feel that all victims of rape and abuse should be obligated to forgive and forget and give their attackers a kiss on the cheek?

challupa

That's precious, but do you feel that all victims of rape and abuse should be obligated to forgive and forget and give their attackers a kiss on the cheek?
Maybe not, but as a victim I would have to say forgiveness was the most beneficial thing I could have ever done. We don't forgive to benefit the perpetrator, we forgive to benefit ourselves. Carrying hatred or revenge in our hearts makes them cold and bitter. When in that state, we cannot love or feel the love of others imo. Then we are allowing further abuse after the fact. Besides forgiveness does not mean you have to condone the act. It is more a self benediction I guess. Not sure I'm communicating this very well.........