• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it Delusional to Believe You can Love Everyone?

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Is it delusional to believe you can love everyone? Why or why not?

yes i definitely think a person can love everyone. wait, no- a PERSON cant, because a person has a mind which naturally cuts the world up into good and bad, and wants to love the good and condemn the bad. but if a person knows this is illusion, and identifies as an infinite being, of which that is all there is, then they know that they are the very same existence as the ones who they would condemn.

and then all that remains is love!
Greetings. It is possible to love all and this is not delusional. Such love comes from nondual wisdom.

Why? Ranjana already explained it in one way. In nondual wisdom, one realizes that one is the very same existence as all 'others' and then all that remains is love.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I believe real love is reserved for a precious few in our lives, such as a partner/spouse, children, family, friends. But I also believe it is possible to show love to everyone, so in a way, yes it is possible.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Maybe not, but as a victim I would have to say forgiveness was the most beneficial thing I could have ever done. We don't forgive to benefit the perpetrator, we forgive to benefit ourselves. Carrying hatred or revenge in our hearts makes them cold and bitter. When in that state, we cannot love or feel the love of others imo. Then we are allowing further abuse after the fact. Besides forgiveness does not mean you have to condone the act. It is more a self benediction I guess. Not sure I'm communicating this very well.........

The problem is that, as horrific a crime rape is, it goes largely unreported and unpunished, and this forgive and forget nonsense would seem to help perpetuate the culture of silence that they thrive in. Also, wouldn't you think the idea that we should be obliged to love such subhuman filth actually degrades love itself?

lunamoth

Will to love
The problem is that, as horrific a crime rape is, it goes largely unreported and unpunished, and this forgive and forget nonsense would seem to help perpetuate the culture of silence that they thrive in. Also, wouldn't you think the idea that we should be obliged to love such subhuman filth actually degrades love itself?

He's not saying forgive and forget. A rape victim absolutely should report and get help and expect that there will be a consequence if the rapist is apprehended. Forgiveness does not mean no consequence. Forgiveness is not saying that no wrong has been done. As challupa said, it is putting down the hatred, which is otherwise a burden on the heart.

challupa

He's not saying forgive and forget. A rape victim absolutely should report and get help and expect that there will be a consequence if the rapist is apprehended. Forgiveness does not mean no consequence. Forgiveness is not saying that no wrong has been done. As challupa said, it is putting down the hatred, which is otherwise a burden on the heart.
Yes,that's exactly what I meant. Forgiveness isn't about the offender, it's about the victim. For sure there should be consequences. But I also know that if you don't let the hatred go, it will eat you alive. Letting it go really does give you back your joy of life. Without that you keep being the victim long after the offense has happened and that just shouldn't be. Then the offender wins forever. You need to take back your life and that only happens within. Thank you Luna for pointing that important piece out.

capslockf9

Actually, I greatly admire those who can forgive folks who commit such acts. I think of the Amish, specifically. Remember a few years when that guy held up, raped, and killed those Amish kids, then shot himself? I was taken aback when I heard that the parents of those kids actually went to the guy's funeral and offered consolation to the family of the murderer.

That kind of love and forgiveness is beyond the norm and I can't help but admire it.

I see the amish performing such act not from clarity and enlightenment but out of fear.

Ozzie

doppelgänger;1335449 said:
Yes. Because there'd be no "me" left. We are, each of us, at the crossroads of divinity and humanity - and they necessarily complete one another.
Do you think there are times when you feel that you love someone so much, there is no "me" left? If yes, isn't it possible to love the whole world given that who you are with is completely circumstancial?

capslockf9

First the mind needs to shut-up. That is to say let go of identity, aversions, concepts, fears, distractions, illusions. The same things that keep one from enlightenment also keep one from exuding love.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Depends on how you define love. If it's defined in the relationship that "one" has to the all-encompassing, then love is necessary to complete the picture.

Smoke

Done here.
No-one loves everyone.
I agree. I just don't think it's possible. Once in a while you might feel that you really do love everyone, but it seems impossible to sustain that feeling.

No-one loves everyone. No-one loves terrorists, murderers, rapists, paedophiles etc...

If you do...Your sick!
I think most of those people do have someone who loves them. I think of Marguerite Oswald; she said something like, "Everybody feels sorry for Mrs. Kennedy, but I lost my son, too."