• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it ever okay to steal?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Mestemia,
When one is born he comes empty handed and when he dies he leaves empty handed.
Nothing belongs to him so how can one claim that something belongs to him is stolen?
The doer has to exhaust his karma and so his karma is dependent on him.
Love & rgds

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Friend Mestemia,
When one is born he comes empty handed and when he dies he leaves empty handed.
Nothing belongs to him so how can one claim that something belongs to him is stolen?
The doer has to exhaust his karma and so his karma is dependent on him.
Love & rgds

If nothing belongs to them isn't everything stolen. We borrow the things we need to live and must ask permission for using them and return them back when we are done. To take without asking or needing is wrong. That is the Tao way.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Mestemia,

Here is a difference in our beliefs.

Have no beliefs but need someone to prove otherwise.
Have stated that one is born empty handed and dies empty handed.
If there is any disagreement, kindly present with reasons.
Love & rgds

Smoke

Done here.
If you found a bag of money--a lot of money in a mall parking lot, say a hundred thousand and you didn't know who it belonged to what would you do? Throw it in your car and drive away and wait to hear news about it? Think the company that lost it would have insurance so no big deal? Or go to the police with it knowing that you might never see it again or hear anything except the police saying they gave it to the rightful owner?
I might not know who it belonged to, and I might have no way of knowing that it would ever get back to the rightful owner, but I think I'd have enough sense to know that it wasn't mine. I'd turn it in to the police.

If I found a twenty dollar bill, though, I'd keep it.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend bobhikes,

If nothing belongs to them isn't everything stolen. We borrow the things we need to live and must ask permission for using them and return them back when we are done. To take without asking or needing is wrong. That is the Tao way.

On similar grounds have stated that it is entirely left to the person doing it as to his own thoughts or no-thoughts.

Robinhood never asked for permission but his actions may not be placed negatively
Love & rgds

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Stealing is always OK if you are the United States Government. Taxing hard working families and giving the money to unproductive members of society is stealing. If this practice was stopped, most of these lazy recipiants would get off their butts and earn a living for themselves.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Stealing is always OK if you are the United States Government. Taxing hard working families and giving the money to unproductive members of society is stealing. If this practice was stopped, most of these lazy recipiants would get off their butts and earn a living for themselves.
ever the optimist...

Draka

Wonder Woman
If there are no other recourses for survival then sometimes stealing is necessary. Example: if you lost your job due to layoffs and consequently lost your home due to non-payment and you are homeless you are in a pickle. Areas like where I live have no shelter for homeless. We have an abused women and children's shelter, but no homeless shelter (there is one being built now, but nothing for the moment). Foodbanks often limit how many times per year one can get food from them. You can't apply for food stamps without a valid address and if you are homeless you have no address. You can't apply for a job with no address and if you are homeless you have no address and cannot get a place to live without an income, which you don't have unless you have a job and you can't get a job without an address. It's a vicious circle. It's not as if these people don't want to work. Many are out there walking the sides of highways and in parking lots just scouring for cans and bottles for refund money so they have something in their pockets. Not to mention that there are homeless out there that will intentionally get caught stealing food or something else just so they can be arrested and have a warm place to stay and warm food for the night. There's a few in this town who do exactly that. Until people who are in a position to really help a person like this will reach out to help them sometimes they have no other recourse. Most of the time it's not that they're lazy, it's that they're trampled by the system.

leahrachelle

I might not know who it belonged to, and I might have no way of knowing that it would ever get back to the rightful owner, but I think I'd have enough sense to know that it wasn't mine. I'd turn it in to the police.

If I found a twenty dollar bill, though, I'd keep it.
How is this different? Just wondering

leahrachelle

Rebulican :) Nice to see more around here

If you found a bag of money--a lot of money in a mall parking lot, say a hundred thousand and you didn't know who it belonged to what would you do?

I’d know the money had to be a gift from God…to me…an answer to my faithful prayers! Wouldn’t want to insult God or show lack of faith by returning the money…that would be sin.

Finders keepers, losers weepers. :)