• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it fair to call belief in YHWH an illusion?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
doppelgänger;893838 said:
What's wrong with illusions? Humans are inspired by all kinds of art, aren't we? Why is religion being regarding as a product of creative imagination considered as derogatory by either "side" in a debate?
Because all sides attach themselves to specific illusions/delusions and justify them with or without emperical evidence. Even Sam Harris...:yes:

Quiddity

doppelgänger;893844 said:
That's doesn't answer my question, Victor.
Let's try again.

It is our own attachments that cause intolerance and hence see other attachments (illusions) at best incomplete or flawed. It's inescapable.

Quiddity

doppelgänger;893850 said:
Which makes the "discussion" rather silly . . . :areyoucra
If you say so...

But really that would make most all discussions silly.

Runt

Is it fair to compare belief in YHWH to belief in Zeus?
It is this very question that led me, at the age of about 10, to argue myself into atheism. I began thinking of the various myths I'd been reading and laughing about in my giant Encyclopedia of Mythology. I found the stories extremely intriguing, the various deities as interesting and endearing as characters in my favorite fairy tales, and the supernatural explanations of natural phenomena which even I---a little kid---understood absolutely hilarious. I could not believe, for example, that people used to think that the sun was dragged across the sky by Apollo's chariot or Ra's boat. I mean really, I'd seen and read "The Magic School Bus" and it had told me everything I needed to know about the solar system! Everyone knew that the earth revolved around the sun; what were those silly ancient people thinking?!

Then it occurred to me: although for the most part people today regard these myths to be completely fictional and, indeed, often even amusing and foolish, there nevertheless are MILLIONS of people who believe other stories which seem equally fantastical. The Bible, the Vedas, the Koran... all of these are filled with such stories, and yet these stories are often regarded as solid fact despite their similarity to ancient myths and their condradiction of what I considered to be established scientific knowledge.

Were the stories really that different, I wondered? Icarus tried to ascend to heaven with makeshift wings and instead fell and drowned; the builders of the Tower of Babel tried to reach heaven and instead were scattered. Promethius gave humans fire and was chained to a rock and eaten by an eagle for eternity; the Serpent convinced humans to eat from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil and was forced to crawl on his belly and be stomped on the head by humans for eternity. How different, I wondered, were the stories of Hercules and David? Why, I wondered, was one set of mythologies regarded as foolish fiction and the other as sacred truth???

I decided that it was hypocritical to scoff at one religion's fantastical stories and believe another's. Better, I decided, to scoff at ALL myths and, indeed, at all religions.

Then I discovered the value of figurative interpretation, and everything changed... but that's another story. ;)

Quiddity

doppelgänger;893856 said:
Ummm . . . still not answering my question.
I guess I must have misunderstood you then. As I see it, it certainly does answer your question.

jonny

Why? Don't you, in fact, think that a belief in Zeus, or even in the orthodox Trinity, is delusive? Do think it's impossible to say so without being hostile?

I believe differently than they do, but I'm not about to go and insult them by telling them that their beliefs are "an illusion." They could say the same thing about mine, and where does that leave us?

Nothing is impossible, but I probably wouldn't use that line of reasoning with someone because I doubt that it would get me anywhere.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Huh? Are you assuming that those who believe in YHWH believe it is an illusion and are pretending to believe that it is true?
Oh, I'm not assuming anything on behalf of all "believers." Some no doubt, though, have a mystic's view on reality and still choose to participate in (not "pretend") the truth and the illusion. (It's kind of hard not to, shy of asceticizing yourself to death.)

Even illusion contains truth.