• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it OK to make fun of religions?

That is because Russell is not very relevant for most of today's atheist. Most never even heard of him.

Now if I were to call Richard Dawkins a sexist, misogynistic little pig (which he is), some atheists get very perturbed that I could even suggest such a thing.

Who is Richard Dawkins?

It seems that in some societies it's ok to make fun of religions while it is not ok in other societies. So, what are your feelings about making fun of religions? Would a prohibition on making fun of religions in your society amount to according religions a special status that few, if any, other institutions in your society are accorded? Would a prohibition be a good thing? Why or why not?

Should there by any limits on how much or what kind of fun can be made of religions?

It is humor's place to mock the king, whatever throne that king may sit on. It is the way we keep things in check. Not only should it be allowed, but I feel it is necessary.

Furthermore, we are talking about freedom of expression. You have to take the good with the bad or it does't work. As a gay man, I have had to listen to plenty of jokes about homosexuals. People love to tell gay jokes and it is non stop. I do understand that these joke can be harmful. But I also understand that there is a bigger issue here and I would never try to restrict freedom of expression. That is not the healthy way to deal with it. We have to be patient and try our best to educate people using our own freedom of expression.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I suspect that you've never been the lone kid with a kippah or the lone girl with a hijab faced with others mocking your religion.

My statement was misleading. I meant, "to confuse every kind of making fun of religion with abuse and bullying is even more weird". However, I committed a typo and wrote "any" rather than "every". Sorry about the confusion. Of course, there are cases in which making fun of religion constitutes abuse and bullying. But those cases do not prove that all cases of making fun of religion constitutes abuse and bullying.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The problem I have with this is it is not fair to those who are actually religious about their religion. It is my opinion that religion is supposed to be an all-encompassing way of life, not something you compartmentalize from the rest of your life. It is something that is inseparable from who you are and what you do as a person, and as such, if making fun of those who are actually religious is not different from making fun of the person and their way of life. This isn't conflating things, this isn't immature, it's a deeper expression of religiosity that some people genuinely have.

I think Jiddu Krishnamurti was correct when he described such religiosity as a mere aggrandizement of the ego. Consequently, I see it as unfortunate. But of course I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
Yes it's OK to make fun of religions on the basis of either the God of that particular religion is real, or it is not. And if it is, it doesn't need anyone to defend it.

Of course, it's also OK to make fun of both religion and atheism:

10174867_786016418152730_1394112840_n.jpg

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
If it's okay for the media to push all kinds of nonsense about Satanism and other Left-Hand Path systems, then it should be fine to treat other religions the same way.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
My statement was misleading. I meant, "to confuse every kind of making fun of religion with abuse and bullying is even more weird". However, I committed a typo and wrote "any" rather than "every". Sorry about the confusion. Of course, there are cases in which making fun of religion constitutes abuse and bullying.
Thanks for the clarification.

But those cases do not prove that all cases of making fun of religion constitutes abuse and bullying.
Agreed.

Could you clarify the intent of the OP for me? I distinguish between
  • It's OK to do X.
and
  • X should be lawful/protected.

CynthiaCypher

If it's okay for the media to push all kinds of nonsense about Satanism and other Left-Hand Path systems, then it should be fine to treat other religions the same way.

They do the same with Islam, so you guys are not alone. In fact the media demonizes Muslims more than it does Satanist.

But still...two wrongs do not make a right.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

It is only ok when you make "fun" of your own religion, and best not do that in the temple or church or mosque or gurdwara but best if to the priest or teacher DIRECTLY or to family.

But not to another religion. Because it is a waste of yuur time and life, time to help or praise the good is better.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Could you clarify the intent of the OP for me? I distinguish between
  • It's OK to do X.
and
  • X should be lawful/protected.

I have edited the OP a bit to perhaps make my original intentions clearer. However, I still didn't address precisely the question you just raised. So, in my view, making fun of religion should generally be legally protected speech. On the other hand, I personally don't think it's always appropriate or wise, and it can be abusive.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I have edited the OP a bit to perhaps make my original intentions clearer. However, I still didn't address precisely the question you just raised. So, in my view, making fun of religion should generally be legally protected speech. On the other hand, I personally don't think it's always appropriate or wise, and it can be abusive.
Thanks, again. Have a great evening.

Skwim

Veteran Member
It seems that in some societies it's ok to make fun of religions while it is not ok in other societies. So, what are your feelings about making fun of religions?
Because religious belief is crucial to the personal welfare of some people I believe making fun of the object of this need is wrong. That said, when people make foolish to asinine claims about the particulars of their belief and expect others to believe them, then I feel they are simply asking that these claims be made fun of.

Would a prohibition on making fun of religions in your society amount to according religions a special status that few, if any, other institutions in your society are accorded? Would a prohibition be a good thing? Why or why not?
In societies where free speech is protected this would be folly.

Should there by any limits on how much or what kind of fun can be made of religions?
No more so than making fun of anything else is. A person is not obligated to accept the ridicule made of their belief. I always take the position that everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter what form it takes, and in turn I have the choice of granting that opinion significance or not. Often this is based on my respect of the person and their knowledge of the subject at hand..

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It seems that in some societies it's ok to make fun of religions while it is not ok in other societies. So, what are your feelings about making fun of religions? Would a legal or informal prohibition on making fun of religions in your society amount to according religions a special status that few, if any, other institutions in your society are accorded? Would a legal or informal prohibition be a good thing? Why or why not?

Should there by any limits -- legal or informal -- on how much or what kind of fun can be made of religions?
It is my sacred duty to make fun of religion. If anyone tries to prohibit me from satirizing Catholics and Muslims I will rape an altar boy and blow myself up in a mosque as protest.

It is our moral duty to challenge and prevent immoral behavior. Religions often inspire, condone, or facilitate evil. From biting satire to crude black humor, making fun is often the best peaceful method of fighting evil. Anyone from a judge in India to the BBC to a preacher in Mississippi who tries to prevent it is admitting that religion deserves the treatment. If not, the humor would fall flat. They wouldn't need to pass any laws.

That is what makes satire so effective. If nobody got the joke it wouldn't matter. When people try to censor you know it matters.

Check out jesusandmo.net

Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It is humor's place to mock the king, whatever throne that king may sit on. It is the way we keep things in check. Not only should it be allow, but I feel it is necessary.

Furthermore, we are talking about freedom of expression. You have to take the good with the bad or it does't work. As a gay man, I have had to listen and to plenty of jokes about homosexuals. People love to tell gay jokes and it is non stop. I do understand that these joke can be harmful. But I also understand that there is a bigger issue here and I would never try to restrict freedom of expression. That is not the healthy way to deal with it. We have to be patient and try our best to educate people using our own freedom of expression.
Then there is this.
Until religionists stop making fun of people they will keep getting made fun of by me.

Tom

chinu

chinu
Of course, we all have the equal right to choose and support what is right, or what sounds us right, but we should never try to make fun of something/somebody which sounds us un-right because we can never know the helplessness which is behind that. Who knows I have to bear the same kind of situation any day ?

Thus, Imo its even dangerous to make fun of any religion, or anybody which is funny in real. Making-fun of something/someone isn't our right at all.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

I'm not sure if that's in the same category, though. The media spreading lies and misinformation isn't necessarily the same as mocking a religious belief or doctrine.

What I'm thinking of are the times when I see those bumper stickers that say "I'm not perfect. Just saved." (which is kind of arrogant and snarky toward non-Christians)

And I like to respond (in mockery) by saying "Yeah, you're saved. From personal responsibility."

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
It is humor's place to mock the king, whatever throne that king may sit on. It is the way we keep things in check. Not only should it be allowed, but I feel it is necessary.

Furthermore, we are talking about freedom of expression. You have to take the good with the bad or it does't work. As a gay man, I have had to listen to plenty of jokes about homosexuals. People love to tell gay jokes and it is non stop. I do understand that these joke can be harmful. But I also understand that there is a bigger issue here and I would never try to restrict freedom of expression. That is not the healthy way to deal with it. We have to be patient and try our best to educate people using our own freedom of expression.

I'd like to highlight this, and also expand a bit from my own POV.

For me, and for others who think mockery is fine, I think it stems from the powerlessness a majority or state-sanctioned (or state-tolerated) discrimination, absurdity, and/or abuse when peaceful protest is either slow in resulting in change or if those channels make no headway at all.

These are situations in reality that - it can go without mentioning, though - are incredibly stressful for the out-groups of the religions that are able to restrict freedoms and liberties of others simply as a matter of course of their doctrine. When agreeing to disagree, taking part in voting, peaceful assembly, letter-writing, media campaigns, documentary-making, and even when taking a megaphone and blaring anger toward the mob doesn't create cultural change....the out-groups cope in various ways with it.

"Gallows humor", which will seem inappropriate by most people's standards, is a method of coping with incredibly grim situations. Those who have been silenced in the legal sphere of having the same rights as others, often utilize humor to cope.

It's better than suicide. Ya think?

Back to my bumper sticker example...if a religion is telling me that I'm weaker than a man and must hand over my autonomy to him because he has a penis, that I'm not worthy to enter paradise or heaven simply because of my worldview, that my orientation is sick and an abomination, and on and on and on....and all with a straight face and in all seriousness....then it can handle some mockery back from me as far as I'm concerned.

Call me a whore and an abomination. Act on it. Vote on it. Fine. But if you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen.