• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it OK to make fun of religions?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm not sure if that's in the same category, though. The media spreading lies and misinformation isn't necessarily the same as mocking a religious belief or doctrine.

What I'm thinking of are the times when I see those bumper stickers that say "I'm not perfect. Just saved." (which is kind of arrogant and snarky toward non-Christians)

And I like to respond (in mockery) by saying "Yeah, you're saved. From personal responsibility."

Something just occurred to me: in the case of some Christians, specifically those who falsely think they're being persecuted and don't realize their own level of privilege, they may see mockery of their own religion as kicking someone when they're down. OTOH, those doing the mocking probably don't think that the Christian is being persecuted at all and see what they're doing as taking the powerful down a peg.

IOW, I think that maybe the disagreement over whether mockery is okay is sometimes less about the underlying ethics and more about different understandings of the facts.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Something just occurred to me: in the case of some Christians, specifically those who falsely think they're being persecuted and don't realize their own level of privilege, they may see mockery of their own religion as kicking someone when they're down. OTOH, those doing the mocking probably don't think that the Christian is being persecuted at all and see what they're doing as taking the powerful down a peg.

IOW, I think that maybe the disagreement over whether mockery is okay is sometimes less about the underlying ethics and more about different understandings of the facts.

That's entirely possible.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
It seems that in some societies it's ok to make fun of religions while it is not ok in other societies. So, what are your feelings about making fun of religions? Would a legal or informal prohibition on making fun of religions in your society amount to according religions a special status that few, if any, other institutions in your society are accorded? Would a legal or informal prohibition be a good thing? Why or why not?

Should there by any limits -- legal or informal -- on how much or what kind of fun can be made of religions?

I think certain sorts of religion mock other religions in a rather "polished" way by designating them as lies, stating their followers will go to hell, looking down on their teachings as inferior, etc. So if mockery of religion were made illegal, I think that would entail curtailing freedom of belief for many religious people just as it would curtail the freedom of the comedian or satirist who takes jabs at any given religion.

The line should be drawn where making fun of someone's beliefs—any beliefs, not necessarily religious ones—clearly amounts to bullying them, in my opinion. Otherwise, I don't think jokes should be made illegal or considered taboo.

I'm saying this as someone who belongs to ethnic and religious (for lack of a better word) groups that are frequently stereotyped, too. I find that self-irony sometimes serves to erode stereotypes and show disregard toward them just as much as and possibly even more than "serious" criticism does; humor can be a great tool for tackling taboo and sensitive subjects.

Last edited:

Pastek

Sunni muslim
It seems that in some societies it's ok to make fun of religions while it is not ok in other societies. So, what are your feelings about making fun of religions?

I think it's ok to make fun of religion or religious people, if it's without insulting other faiths and without being vulgar. Just having some limits like with other subjects.

I'm sometimes not at ease when i see christianity always being mocked (i live in europe). And sometimes it's very vulgar, i don't like that.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Even taking all that as given, why should religion be MORE exempt from being made fun of than political affiliation (something that could be described the way you describe religion) or sports affiliation (something that often is all-encompassing, regardless of whether it should be)?

Politics is often an expression of our most deeply-held values... but it's considered fair game for jokes and mockery all the time. Even if religion is also an expression of a person's most deeply-held values, so what?

I, personally, never said religion should be "more exempt." I said in an earlier post that I regard any humor at someone else's expense to be in poor taste (at best), regardless of subject. However, I would add to that I find this to be especially the case for any deeply-held values or emotionally important aspects of that person's life. Certain life aspects are obvious potential candidates for that which one wants to be cautious around. Don't mock someone's religion, someone's political stance, someone's marriage, someone's children, etc. Honestly, just... be nice and courteous instead.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I think certain sorts of religion mock other religions in a rather "polished" way by designating them as lies, stating their followers will go to hell, looking down on their teachings as inferior, etc. So if mockery of religion were made illegal, I think that would entail curtailing freedom of belief for many religious people just as it would curtail the freedom of the comedian or satirist who takes jabs at any given religion.

The line should be drawn where making fun of someone's beliefs—any beliefs, not necessarily religious ones—clearly amounts to bullying them, in my opinion. Otherwise, I don't think jokes should be made illegal or considered taboo.

I'm saying this as someone who belongs to ethnic and religious (for lack of a better word) groups that are frequently stereotyped, too. I find that self-irony sometimes serves to erode stereotypes and show disregard toward them just as much and possibly even more than "serious" criticism does; humor can be a great tool for tackling taboo and sensitive subjects.
Great post.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
It seems that in some societies it's ok to make fun of religions while it is not ok in other societies. So, what are your feelings about making fun of religions? Would a legal or informal prohibition on making fun of religions in your society amount to according religions a special status that few, if any, other institutions in your society are accorded? Would a legal or informal prohibition be a good thing? Why or why not?

Should there by any limits -- legal or informal -- on how much or what kind of fun can be made of religions?

The freedom of expression trumps anyone's sense of indignity. Make fun of whatever you like.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The freedom of expression trumps anyone's sense of indignity. Make fun of whatever you like.
It strikes me that that those incapable of distinguishing between
  1. "Is it OK to do X?" … and
  2. "Should we be allowed to do X?"
are precisely those most likely to create, promote, or allow the abuse of the freedom of expression.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
So, what are your feelings about making fun of religions?
Depends upon how funny it is...

Would a legal or informal prohibition on making fun of religions in your society amount to according religions a special status that few, if any, other institutions in your society are accorded?
Yes, it would.

Would a legal or informal prohibition be a good thing? Why or why not?
No.
Mainly because there is really no "fair" way to regulate and enforce it.

No more than what is already on the books for everything else.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you know of anything -- besides stating that the sky is blue -- that doesn't hurt at least one other person's feelings in this crazy world?

Do you know of any human that is able to communicate with every single person on the planet at once?

I doubt that Aupmanyav intended his words to apply to every single person on the planet. It is not only impossible to speak to every single person on the planet at once, their existence or opinions are not relevant with respect to how we conduct ourselves in virtually every area of our lives. I think the sample frame needs to be adjusted a bit here in order to be more realistic and reasonable.

steeltoes

Who is to say that we should not make fun of religion or any ideology that emerges?

Who wants to control us?

In my opinion, religions are a joke and the only reasonable thing to do is to make fun of them.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Let's be careful here. Are we talking about "making fun" as in lighthearted joshing that is acceptable to the other person? Or are we talking about bullying behavior (the sort of truly demeaning, dissing, deprecating stuff that seems to happen so often in this forum)? The first is fine. The second is reprehensible.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

I think people should be allowed to make fun of anything, but don't expect any special treatment. That means; don't think you should be able to get away with making fun of religions in their face and also think that a religious person shouldn't be able to get away with making fun of homosexuality in their face.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen

Yes, it's okay to make fun of religions or the religious as long as such action does not infringe upon the rights of others.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Who is to say that we should not make fun of religion or any ideology that emerges?

Who wants to control us?

In my opinion, religions are a joke and the only reasonable thing to do is to make fun of them.
It's not a matter of control, it's a matter of maturity.

So, in your opinion, bullying people is not only acceptable, but reasonable? Yes?