• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible for believers to believe the Bible has mistakes in it?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I was going to name the thread "Is it possible the Bible has mistakes in it". And I heard a little voice in my head say "Dah?".

Then I had to add "believers" to the title.

If nothing else, it's funny.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is believing there are no mistakes in the Bible a prerequisite for believing it?

Unbelievers know it carries maistakes. They might not know which scriptures are misunderstood and which aren't but they know it is not possible that it is perfect.

The Christian believers I have met seem to think it is perfect just the way it is.

Can we talk about that?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Unbelievers know it carries maistakes. They might not know which scriptures are misunderstood and which aren't but they know it is not possible that it is perfect.

Unbelievers are usually mistaken. There's a reason for that. They are unfamiliar with the style of writing and textual reference. They actually, are the worst on average at reading Scripture, not the best.

Greetings,

All stories have "mistakes." What one does with mistakes and "truth" is separate from accepting that after all it is a collection of words meant to convey certain thoughts and/or inspirations.

best,
swampy

Sees

Dragonslayer
Do you think a person has to believe in the Bible at all to believe in Jesus and/or the Jewish/Christian God? I think it is taken for granted that it is basically the same thing, leading to the Bible becoming a divine entity of its own.

That which one believes and wants to believe are often in contradiction, the actions of the one reveal the beliefs.

best,
swampy

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I believe that the original untranslated Bible until the crucifixion had no mistakes in it. I unfortunately can't say the same for it after that.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Do you think a person has to believe in the Bible at all to believe in Jesus and/or the Jewish/Christian God?

I think a person need not believe in the Bible to believe in Jesus but I think that to understand Jesus a person must trust the Bible. But they trust it is perfect. I think I have proved to myself that it is not perfect. Knowing it is not perfect does not lessen my repect for it. Actually knowing it is not perfect might heighten my respect for it.
I think it is taken for granted that it is basically the same thing, leading to the Bible becoming a divine entity of its own.

Yes the same is treading on dangerous ground I think.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe that the original untranslated Bible until the crucifixion had no mistakes in it. I unfortunately can't say the same for it after that.

I tend to agree. Though I am sure the understanding of it had mistakes. Is the misunderstanding of it not what Jesus meant when he said he came to save the lost ones? The teaching of it had become the cause of the lost souls Jesus came to save.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Unbelievers are usually mistaken. There's a reason for that. They are unfamiliar with the style of writing and textual reference. They actually, are the worst on average at reading Scripture, not the best.

This is not a nice, nor a true, thing to say about people. For instance, it would be a rude insult to an unbelieving police profiler to say this to her. She could read everything that is written about what Jesus said and who Jesus was and come to the conclusion he did not say "I never knew you, get away from me" but she doesn't think it is important and knows no one would listen to her anyway.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Performing that which one teaches is believing.

best regards,
swampy

A new definition of believing! Good, if it was true. I see by your comment that the Pharisees did not believe. I disagree, I think most religious believers are genuine, just misguided.

One can be a misguided believer, but acts accordingly, else it is just words and thoughts conveying no truth of the heart.

best,
swampy

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Not the best I can see, but "the worst" we can hardly be.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Do you think it is possible that Christianity could have a duty to improve upon the original untranslated Bible instead of feeling bound by it?