• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible that Christianity is true, yet the Bible contains errors?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
What is known of Christianity apart from the Bible that would make it possible that it is all true?

What is Christianity defined as apart from the Bible?

There is very little information about Jesus apart from the Bible.

Firenze

Premium Member
I'm sure this has been asked before. But not since I joined. I'm mainly concerned with Biblical authority and/or inerrancy. What's the verdict so far as you can tell?

Is Christianity true because the Bible says so?

Or does the Bible say so because it describes the truth of Christianity?
No. And not because of simple ‘errors’, but because of outright fraud and fabrication. The attributes of the Messiah were well delineated by the indisputable experts on the subject - the Jews who actually wrote them. They do not include:
A virgin birth
A crucifixion
A resurrection
Any divine attributes.

The gospel authors knew this, but decided to lie about it anyway, inventing their own ‘attributes’ and squeezing Jesus into them.

Isaiah 7:14 by itself shows the insidiousness of this fraud. It’s not messianic, and it’s not about a virgin birth - and as ‘prophesy’ about the actual subject of the verses, King Ahaz, it failed.

The Jews told everyone these facts long ago. We have seen the results - from the antisemitism of the gospels to the related demonization of the ‘Christ Killers’ resulting in the Holocaust.

Christianity has much to answer for.

vulcanlogician

The gospel authors knew this, but decided to lie about it anyway, inventing their own ‘attributes’ and squeezing Jesus into them.

While I tend to agree with your general thesis, I don't think we can readily conclude that the Gospel authors had malicious intent. According to most scholars, the Gospels were transmitted through word of mouth for several decades before finally being put to pen. This could place the onus of the "misinformation" on storytellers throughout the years.

Exceptions could be made for Matthew (who obviously had an agenda to relate Jewish scripture with Jesus being the Messiah). And John (who obviously wanted to make clear the divinity of Christ). Other than that (and certain changes made to the texts by scribes, much of the hyperbole and legend can be explained by how people tell stories.

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
I'm sure this has been asked before. But not since I joined. I'm mainly concerned with Biblical authority and/or inerrancy. What's the verdict so far as you can tell?

Is Christianity true because the Bible says so?

Or does the Bible say so because it describes the truth of Christianity?
Bible is true, because God gave it as guidance to humanity.. God would not have given a false Book.
How true Christianity is, that depends on how well it understood and followed the Bible.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Bible is true, because God gave it as guidance to humanity.. God would not have given a false Book.
How true Christianity is, that depends on how well it understood and followed the Bible.
That is not a reason that is a claim. How do you show that God had anything to do with the Bible at all?

vulcanlogician

I've known a lot of Christians. They are always surprised at what God allows. God will let a 9 year old girl die of cancer. Despite countless prayers. You wouldn't think he would. But he has numerous times.

What makes you think he won't let a few errors into your special book?

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
I've known a lot of Christians. They are always surprised at what God allows. God will let a 9 year old girl die of cancer. Despite countless prayers. You wouldn't think he would. But he has numerous times.

What makes you think he won't let a few errors into your special book?
Because Death and Life is natural part of this life, and God has created the nature as such, so, why would God interfere with what He had already created? Beside this, in reality no one dies, because the Soul does not die. It is the body that dies, and soul continue to live on.

But if God has given the Bible for guidance to humanity, how could He allow humanity to follow a false Book thinking it is given by their God to them as a gift and guidance?

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
Why would anyone assume that? Why not a assume that George Burns was the Messiah, oh wait, he's dead. Okay, how about Halle Berry? She's hot.
Because God did not say, those two who you are naming, were Messiah. But God did say, Jesus was the Messiah.
Assuming there is a God, who had spoken of Messiah to come.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Because God did not say, those two who you are naming, were Messiah. But God did say, Jesus was the Messiah.
Assuming there is a God, who had spoken of Messiah to come.
You keep making the error of assuming that the Bible is from God. With all of the errors in it why do you have that belief?

And where did God say that Jesus was the Messiah? I must have missed that.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You need to prove there are errors in it.

We have. genesis is a book of myths. Exodus never happened anything like in the Bible.

But let's get more recent. When was Jesus born, roughly. Can you tell me within a year or two?
God said it in the Bible. Assuming the Bible is from God.
Well that is a silly assumption. Because then you are assuming that God is a liar. At least if you read the Bible literally.

vulcanlogician

Because Death and Life is natural part of this life, and God has created the nature as such, so, why would God interfere with what He had already created? Beside this, in reality no one dies, because the Soul does not die. It is the body that dies, and soul continue to live on.

But if God has given the Bible for guidance to humanity, how could He allow humanity to follow a false Book thinking it is given by their God to them as a gift and guidance?

Have you ever considered the possibility that God put his truth into the Bible and called it a day? Maybe he didn't go back and ensure it was inerrant... just so folks like you could feel brash and secure in their statements. Isn't that a possibility?

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
Have you ever considered the possibility that God put his truth into the Bible and called it a day? Maybe he didn't go back and ensure it was inerrant... just so folks like you could feel brash and secure in their statements. Isn't that a possibility?
If Bible was originally from God, then He protected it. Unless, you say, maybe it was never from God, and Jesus was not the Messiah. Now, that's a possibility to consider.

Firenze

Premium Member
You need to prove there are errors in it.

God said it in the Bible. Assuming the Bible is from God.
No, it didn't. The gospel authors said it, after spitting on the OT and the clear attributes of the Messiah it delineated, then inventing their own 'attributes' and squeezing Jesus into them.