• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible that more than one religion is true?

Is it possible that more than one relgion is true?

• Yes

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • They all have part of the truth

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters
Not all relgions contradict each other, and even some of the early forms of Abrahamic relgions where very close to the pagan religions. As relgions age many seem to go towards a Universilist concept. Could it be possible that more than one religion is true.

Etritonakin

There is some truth in every religion, but what and where do they get you and everyone else?

Truth and correct practices should lead to the greatest possible well-being in the short and long term -though favoring the long term -all things considered.

True religion would be a set of accurate beliefs and practices which would bring about the most good -and would be defined by any knowledgeable and benevolent deity which actually existed.

In the absence of such a deity, presently-known truths would allow for the most informed decisions by leadership which was hopefully benevolent.

A little truth can be a dangerous thing. Truths and correct principles have often been used to sell untruths and incorrect principles.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Not all relgions contradict each other, and even some of the early forms of Abrahamic relgions where very close to the pagan religions. As relgions age many seem to go towards a Universilist concept. Could it be possible that more than one religion is true.

No.

I revere creation not a Creator. My faith does not mix with abrahamics at all not even partial. Id have to compremise my view of the earth and imagine an entity behind it all.

Abrahamics dont believe in more than one God that they would serve. Any faith that has more than one God or another object of worship cannot mix in part because abrahamics one must love all of God. His commandments arent impartial.

There cannot be a Wiccan Christian. If one believes there is a goddess that is al automatic knock out from abrahamics. If one puts creation above or on the same level as abrahamic God, thats a contradiction too.

My faith is not compatible with deities. Nature takes care of us. The spirits watch over us. I am here regardless of a Creator.

Strong polythiesm and monotheism are contradictary in terms. Given the meaning by itself unless one is a monopolytheist. They believe in one God only yet many Gods at the same time? This is based on logic.

If you are Jewish (by faith) you cant believe that Jesus Is the God you serve in judaism.

A lot of loop holes. The closer you get to modern faiths, people feel they can be in two places at the same time.

We can accept that people have their own truths. However, is there belief THE truth. If it contradicts with what you believe, it is not.

There is some truth in every religion, but what and where do they get you and everyone else?

Truth and correct practices should lead to the greatest possible well-being in the short and long term -though favoring the long term -all things considered.

True religion would be a set of accurate beliefs and practices which would bring about the most good -and would be defined by any knowledgeable and benevolent deity which actually existed.

In the absence of such a deity, presently-known truths would allow for the most informed decisions by leadership which was hopefully benevolent.

A little truth can be a dangerous thing. Truths and correct principles have often been used to sell untruths and incorrect principles.

Not all relgions are theistic though, let alone monotheistic.

No.

I revere creation not a Creator. My faith does not mix with abrahamics at all not even partial. Id have to compremise my view of the earth and imagine an entity behind it all.

Abrahamics dont believe in more than one God that they would serve. Any faith that has more than one God or another object of worship cannot mix in part because abrahamics one must love all of God. His commandments arent impartial.

There cannot be a Wiccan Christian. If one believes there is a goddess that is al automatic knock out from abrahamics. If one puts creation above or on the same level as abrahamic God, thats a contradiction too.

My faith is not compatible with deities. Nature takes care of us. The spirits watch over us. I am here regardless of a Creator.

Strong polythiesm and monotheism are contradictary in terms. Given the meaning by itself unless one is a monopolytheist. They believe in one God only yet many Gods at the same time? This is based on logic.

If you are Jewish (by faith) you cant believe that Jesus Is the God you serve in judaism.

A lot of loop holes. The closer you get to modern faiths, people feel they can be in two places at the same time.

We can accept that people have their own truths. However, is there belief THE truth. If it contradicts with what you believe, it is not.

....not all forms of paganism is polytheistic...many are atheistic or pantheistic...

No.

I agree that one cannot be a Christian Wiccan for example, however I was referring to early ditheistic and pantheidtic abrhamics (like Kabalah) and Wicca is pantheistic not polytheistic.

Here is a good example of what I am meaning, what if (hypothetically) was a Lucifarnist who beilieve that Lucifier saved humanity from ignorance and then Buddha came to help them enlgiten themselves through knowledge and that we reincarnate until we do so? That seems to be both Buddhist and Lucifarnist to me.

Another hypothetical example would be a Kabbalhic Wiccan. A Wiccan who beilived that the universe is diety that is composed of feminine and masculine aspects that beilived that that diety purposly shaped itself into this world. That it created four elemtnal archangels in its name and that the tree of knowledge was a metaphor for how knowledge is a blessing and curse would seem like both a Wiccan and a Kabbalist to me.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
....not all forms of paganism is polytheistic...many are atheistic or pantheistic...
Em. Modern paganism. I am both atheist ans pantheist. Im not a traditional pagan in the sense we really dont know too much what pagans practice. Also, by belief, Im not abrahamic. I do practice folk magic..so...its a toss up.

I get a pinch in my side when I hear old older words with modern meaning.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Any religion that claims to be the "only true path" to God or the only one that provides "absolute truth" could not be true while any other is.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I agree that one cannot be a Christian Wiccan for example, however I was referring to early ditheistic and pantheidtic abrhamics (like Kabalah) and Wicca is pantheistic not polytheistic.
I agree up to the last part. Not all Wiccans are only pantheistics. Some do believe in both th god and the goddess not as mere personifications of nature but as God/dess as nature. To me, that is more than one God.

Its not mythological (except for Wiccans who value methological gods as part of their practice)

Aside from books, hearsay, and conversation Id have to talk to a Wiccan initiate in a specific school to answer factually.

Im not doubting your answer just I know wiccans who are polytheistic (dualtheist if thats a word)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Two important questions:

1) What makes something "true" as opposed to "not true?" Who decides what is "true" and "not true" and how does one know if something is "true" or "not true?"

2) Given the difficulty and subjectivity involved in defining what it means for something to be "true," how is it possible for all religions to not be true, from a certain point of view?

catch22

I just answered another thread where they author asked if I thought my religion was the only true one.

The term true is relative when we talk about this. What are you really asking? There's religions similar/spun off from my personal beliefs (I don't call my beliefs a religion, it's just the Bible, which is a book, which is the Word of God, not a religion).

Some of them are very likely... "true." Satanism, for example, performs reverse exorcisms, and follows the fallen rebellion of lucifer and his angels. I believe that satan and his fallen angels are real, so if it is someone's goal to end up away from God and His kingdom, and to avoid His salvation, then they would have it by doing the things that group does.

So that's true, right? I also think many of the minor gods and idols through time were demonic in nature (that is, fallen angels or angels who have sinned and are in rebellion toward God), and those I think are real, so those "religions" are "true" too, I guess?

So what are you asking, really? "Do you think your beliefs are the only way into heaven/afterlife. Do you only "win" with your religion?" Again, if you want everlasting life and to dwell with God, who is the creator of all, for all eternity... then you'd need the salvation of Jesus Christ. You won't get it anywhere else. Is that what you meant by "true"?

If that is not your particular desired outcome however, then pick something else and good luck. Whether you end up where you think you will is not up to me, in liklihood it will be either a lake of fire, a great furnace, outer darkness, or complete destruction. None seems appealing, but alas, if that's what you want... there you go.

catch22

There is no good reason to expect religions to be any more exclusive of truth than, say, culinary recipes, now is there?

Salt is still salt. Alas, we might disagree about the exact nature of "real" southern fried chicken, but we're still talking about fried chicken.

Thana

Lady

There is more than one way to God, I believe that.

And there were quite a few people in the bible who were neither Jewish or Christian and they were saved and loved by God.

I just answered another thread where they author asked if I thought my religion was the only true one.

The term true is relative when we talk about this. What are you really asking? There's religions similar/spun off from my personal beliefs (I don't call my beliefs a religion, it's just the Bible, which is a book, which is the Word of God, not a religion).

Some of them are very likely... "true." Satanism, for example, performs reverse exorcisms, and follows the fallen rebellion of lucifer and his angels. I believe that satan and his fallen angels are real, so if it is someone's goal to end up away from God and His kingdom, and to avoid His salvation, then they would have it by doing the things that group does.

So that's true, right? I also think many of the minor gods and idols through time were demonic in nature (that is, fallen angels or angels who have sinned and are in rebellion toward God), and those I think are real, so those "religions" are "true" too, I guess?

So what are you asking, really? "Do you think your beliefs are the only way into heaven/afterlife. Do you only "win" with your religion?" Again, if you want everlasting life and to dwell with God, who is the creator of all, for all eternity... then you'd need the salvation of Jesus Christ. You won't get it anywhere else. Is that what you meant by "true"?

If that is not your particular desired outcome however, then pick something else and good luck. Whether you end up where you think you will is not up to me, in liklihood it will be either a lake of fire, a great furnace, outer darkness, or complete destruction. None seems appealing, but alas, if that's what you want... there you go.

Religion: 1: The Belief in and Worship of a Supreme Being

I agree up to the last part. Not all Wiccans are only pantheistics. Some do believe in both th god and the goddess not as mere personifications of nature but as God/dess as nature. To me, that is more than one God.

Its not mythological (except for Wiccans who value methological gods as part of their practice)

Aside from books, hearsay, and conversation Id have to talk to a Wiccan initiate in a specific school to answer factually.

Im not doubting your answer just I know wiccans who are polytheistic (dualtheist if thats a word)

Well Wicca is about as polytheistic as Christianity. We both beilieving in one being that is seen in multiple parts, but each of these are just parts, we may invoke one part but we are truly invoking the whole.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Every claim has to be individually verified as to whether it is true or not. Religions, like any ideologies, consist of thousands of individual claims - many of which are objectively, verifiably false, some of which are internally inconsistent with other claims, and many of which are inconsistent with claims made by other ideologies and religions.

To be honest, religions don't seem like the best platforms for the objective exploration of identifying what is true or not - nor does it seem like this is among their primarily goals or purposes.