• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible to believe in both God and Evolution?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
This is all about the pursuit of truth. Don't you think from a logical point of view that something should at least have a chance to be proven true to even qualify as a possible truth? I certainly do. And you have qualified your own position as totally unable to be proven true. Think about it mball.

There's a huge difference between being true and being proven true. There are plenty of cases of criminals being executed who were actually innocent. This is what I'm trying to get through to you: The ability of an idea to be proven true is completely irrelevant to the question of its truth.

In other words, no, I don't think from a logical point of view that something should at least have a chance to be proven true to even qualify as a possible truth. You are wrong there. You are not wrong to believe in God, but you are wrong to believe in him for that reason. If I'm right, and we just cease to exist when we die, that still means it's the truth, whether or not someone is around to witness it.

"If a tree falls in the forest, and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a sound?"

Michel07

There's a huge difference between being true and being proven true. There are plenty of cases of criminals being executed who were actually innocent. This is what I'm trying to get through to you: The ability of an idea to be proven true is completely irrelevant to the question of its truth.

In other words, no, I don't think from a logical point of view that something should at least have a chance to be proven true to even qualify as a possible truth. You are wrong there. You are not wrong to believe in God, but you are wrong to believe in him for that reason. If I'm right, and we just cease to exist when we die, that still means it's the truth, whether or not someone is around to witness it.

"If a tree falls in the forest, and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a sound?"

There is an old saying, " Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy."
Sounds like you just want to be right. No amount of talking will change that I guess. And my reasons for believing in God has nothing to do with being right but you would not know that because you don't know me.
Again you like to interpret which would be ok if it was a proper interpretation.

Michel07

God is true because 'God' is palliative? Having had a child who died you have no idea whatsoever how despicable I find your manipulative deceit.

This is not deceit . Atheism goes against everything Jesus said. Not to mention every other religion that gives people hope. Hope is born out of love and sooner or later everyone needs some. Faith , hope and charity. Atheism tries to rob people of that when they need it the most. Your words about God being palliative are yours not mine . Mine stand on their own.. I am however deeply sorry for your loss. I have had my losses as well . In my experience I find it easier to help someone with their loss as a believer in God. I don't know if I could really have helped some people I know if I didn't believe. Again though I am sorry for any losses you have experienced.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
There is an old saying, " Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy."
Sounds like you just want to be right. No amount of talking will change that I guess. And my reasons for believing in God has nothing to do with being right but you would not know that because you don't know me.
Again you like to interpret which would be ok if it was a proper interpretation.

You do know that that quote is used in reference to marriage, right? What it means is that, in marriage, women tend to think they're always right, and they impress that upon their husbands. So, you say to the husbands that they can be right, meaning they can stick to their guns and not back down, or they can be happy, meaning they can let it go, and say "Yes, dear". It has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

Believe me, I wish I was wrong. I'd much rather believe that there's life after this. If you're reasoning for believeing has nothing to do with being right, why do you keep bringing up the point of being able to be proven right? You're right, I don't know you. Maybe you should do a better job of describing yourself, if I keep misconstruing things.

Michel07

You do know that that quote is used in reference to marriage, right? What it means is that, in marriage, women tend to think they're always right, and they impress that upon their husbands. So, you say to the husbands that they can be right, meaning they can stick to their guns and not back down, or they can be happy, meaning they can let it go, and say "Yes, dear". It has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

Believe me, I wish I was wrong. I'd much rather believe that there's life after this. If you're reasoning for believeing has nothing to do with being right, why do you keep bringing up the point of being able to be proven right? You're right, I don't know you. Maybe you should do a better job of describing yourself, if I keep misconstruing things.

I guess I'm trying to give you the logical arguments you are asking for. I don't need them. It is better to believe than not to believe.

camanintx

Hope is born out of love and sooner or later everyone needs some. Faith , hope and charity. Atheism tries to rob people of that when they need it the most.

How does atheism rob people of hope? I personally think atheism gives me much hope because it acknowledges the good that comes from us instead of crediting it to some unknowable deity.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I guess I'm trying to give you the logical arguments you are asking for. I don't need them. It is better to believe than not to believe.

For you, it is better to believe. I have never said that you need logical arguments to believe in any religion. I assert the exact opposite, actually. If you just told me that you believe because you have faith despite any illogical problems that come up, then I would not even attempt to argue. It's only when you assert that your views are more logical, or that you "have won the argument", or you assert false claims about atheism, that I oppose you.

Michel07

For you, it is better to believe. I have never said that you need logical arguments to believe in any religion. I assert the exact opposite, actually. If you just told me that you believe because you have faith despite any illogical problems that come up, then I would not even attempt to argue. It's only when you assert that your views are more logical, or that you "have won the argument", or you assert false claims about atheism, that I oppose you.

Well I still assert that ,apart from believing by faith as well. You disbelieve by faith. Faith in that you are more logical. But it seems to me that if someone cannot apply a saying like " Do you want to be happy or do you want to be right" to more than just one thing in life then his manner of thinking is too linear to have much imagination. Like Einstein said " Imagination............."

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Well I still assert that ,apart from believing by faith as well. You disbelieve by faith. Faith in that you are more logical. But it seems to me that if someone cannot apply a saying like " Do you want to be happy or do you want to be right" to more than just one thing in life then his manner of thinking is too linear to have much imagination. Like Einstein said " Imagination............."

It doesn't always apply in the same way. You can use it when talking about the debate concerning God's existence, but it means something different. In this case, you're saying that you know you're wrong, but at least you're happy. Whereas I'm right, but unhappy. That's fine, if that's the way you want to go, but it seems silly to say that and then try to defend why you're right.

I have asserted several times on here that everything takes faith. I have faith that I'm right. I have faith that the world exists, etc. What does that have to do with anything?

Michel07

It doesn't always apply in the same way. You can use it when talking about the debate concerning God's existence, but it means something different. In this case, you're saying that you know you're wrong, but at least you're happy. Whereas I'm right, but unhappy. That's fine, if that's the way you want to go, but it seems silly to say that and then try to defend why you're right.

I have asserted several times on here that everything takes faith. I have faith that I'm right. I have faith that the world exists, etc. What does that have to do with anything?

It has everything to do with your contention that faith in God is not logical. Why should my putting any faith in what you say be logical? It's not.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
It has everything to do with your contention that faith in God is not logical. Why should my putting any faith in what you say be logical? It's not.

Your concept of God is not logical. As I said, it doesn't have to be, you're still welcome to believe it, and it may still be true, but it's not logical.

Michel07

Your concept of God is not logical. As I said, it doesn't have to be, you're still welcome to believe it, and it may still be true, but it's not logical.

Your unbelief is not logical to me and it would be totally illogical for me to accept it other than for what it is , your unbelief.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Your unbelief is not logical to me and it would be totally illogical for me to accept it other than for what it is , your unbelief.

Exactly, "for you" it is. I'm talking about using every day, average common sense and logic, an ability shared by every human being. It's OK, you can say that something is illogical and still believe it, and you might even be right. I tend not to believe things that aren't illogical, some people do. That's the difference between many believers and non-believers.

Michel07

I'm sorry, it's been a long day. Here's the revised edition: I tend not to believe things that are illogical. Some people do believe them.

Nothing to be sorry about. I thought you were right on with the first version. The old Freudian slip.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Nothing to be sorry about. I thought you were right on with the first version. The old Freudian slip.

Right, and that's why you're wrong. What is so hard about admitting that your beliefs are illogical? There is nothing wrong with it. Many people do it. No one says they have to be logical. You are welcome to believe them anyway, and they might be true. That doesn't change the fact that they are illogical. When you refute that claim is when you show your ignorance.