• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it Reasonable to Compare Gods with Bigfoot, Fairies, Unicorns, and Leprechauns?

Watchmen

Premium Member
Similarities between what? Your having an experience of a leprechaun has to do with your beliefs, not mine.

The thread is about the reasonability of the analogy between gods and leprechauns/Bigfoot/fairies/unicorns, not whether an atheist is expected to believe in gods. You're refuting an argument that is different from the one being discussed. That's precisely what a straw man actually is.
You brought up leprechauns in the OP. My post was directly on point as to reasonability of the analogy. You would find it unreasonable to believe in leprechauns just as I find it unreasonable to believe in God. And our respective conclusions are largely based on the same underlying reasons. Thus, the analogy of the OP suggests it IS reasonable— there’s not much difference between gods, leprechauns, Bigfoot, fairies, unicorns, etc.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
You brought up leprechauns in the OP. My post was directly on point as to reasonability of the analogy. You would find it unreasonable to believe in leprechauns just as I find it unreasonable to believe in God. And our respective conclusions are largely based on the same underlying reasons.
You have yet to give any "underlying reasons" for finding it unreasonable to believe in God (which isn't exactly what the OP is asking to begin with).

In fact, the only think you've discussed so far is that you may have seen a leprechaun. Not entirely unreasonable since they make cereal that's magically delicious.

Thus, the analogy of the OP suggests it IS reasonable— there’s not much difference between gods, leprechauns, Bigfoot, fairies, unicorns, etc.
Okay, so now we're getting somewhere. Perhaps you'll name some things that are different and some things that are similar.

MikeF

Premium Member
Religions are full of God 'representations'. But the representations are not the thing they are meant to represent. And if we ignore this difference, we only deceive ourselves. And this happens all the time with both theists AND atheists.

There are no gods to represent. That is what is being ignored and the deception that is occurring. The abstract constructs are the thing in themselves, they are not pointing to or representing something other than the abstract construct itself. The label 'Harry Potter' does not refer to a thing, it is a label for the abstract fictional construct itself.

PureX

Veteran Member
I think you are being purposefully disingenuous here. Didn't we just have a discussion on thinking critically? We can and should make a distinction between the objective reality that constitutes the grouping of atoms labeled "Billie Eilish" and any fiction that may be imagined regarding her.
Why, the group of atoms called Billie Eilish mean nothing at all to me. They house and generate the metaphysical being that has then generated the creative myth that does matter to me (but that's as much because of me, as it is because of her). But the atoms themselves mean nothing in and of themselves. So why should I care in the least about them?
No, that is not what is being asserted. It is a matter of asserting what they are, and consequently what they then are not.
I couldn't care less what they are. And on a quantum level none of us even knows what they are. I don't understand this weird obsession with a materiality that has no significant meaning and no one really knows, anyway.
An atom of the element carbon exists, but in that configuration of mass/energy it is not an atom of the element boron or lead. It is appropriate and reasonable to make such distinctions.
To a biochemist, sure, but to the rest of us, no; it's not reasonable. Each of us is far, far more than the biochemistry that's involved in our happening. And in fact, without that "more" part, the biochemistry is of no consequence at all. Without the amazing thoughts produced, the human brain is just a pile of biological waste.
In the same way, it is more than appropriate to distinguish between the manner in which I exist in the real world and the manner in which Harry Potter, the fictional storybook character, exists in the real world.
But that's just is. No one around here ever bothers to distinguish between "the manners of existing". Most won't even acknowledge that there is such a thing. It's why the discussions/debates never go anywhere but spiral into the abyss of 'tit-for-tat' personal attacks.
You are fighting against anyone's attempt to make such distinctions. Why might that be? What purpose does it serve?
I'm the one trying to get people to make distinctions. But their bias is based on their ignorance of those distinctions, and so they don't want to make distinctions. I try to point out the difference between any one person's concept of God, and the idea of God as a collective universal concept. But nothing doing! They want to fight about THAT God. Or whine about too many different gods. Because that serves their bias.
Here it is then. The source of your fear and why you vehemently oppose demarcation.
I am not afraid and I do not oppose "demarcation".
I am not convinced that self-deception on the nature of pure abstraction is required for pure abstractions to be useful.
At some point "self-deception" becomes an irrelevant factor. Everything going on inside our heads is a form of self-deception. Yet it's still going on, there, so it's still "real". Therefor, reality is a deception. And since it's all going on inside of 'us', it's all self-deception.

But it's all we've got. So even though it is a deception, we struggle to try and keep it as 'real' as we can (whatever that even means in this instance). And this is where everyone is getting confused, and their bias is developing, and then working hard to maintain itself. Causing even more confusion.

I think the only way through it is to stop believing stuff. Let it all just become information and then focus on what applies in the moment, leaving the rest aside for another day. But that's not how most people think. They want to nail everything down, and label it true or false, and then walk away with the comforting pretense of certainty and righteousness.
You will have to prove to me that there are conditions that necessarily require the self-deception of treating an abstraction pointing to a fiction as to instead be pointing to a non-fictional phenomena or event.
IT'S ALL FICTION to us. AND it's all real. What you want isn't there. The black-white, right-wrong, real-unreal, abstract-obective, dualist existence; isn't available. Existence is all one huge complex event, happening. Those dualities are only in our heads.
Not sure how that would be done as it obviously acknowledges the self-deception. Seems like we would be wading deep into "Double Think" territory as described in George Orwell's book "1984".
"Double-think" could be another word for taoism. "When you feel the early spring sunshine on your face, and you smell the wet earth bursting with new life beneath your feet, remember the fall, and that dry and crusty sound of death and decay. And then the winter, with it's biting cold and frozen ground. Because it's within and among all of these that the Tao sings it's eternal song."
Doesn't mean we can't recognize and acknowledge that they are purely abstract constructs, and not abstractions referencing phenomena or events independent of or from abstraction.
All thought is an abstraction of experience. Perception is conception. Let's acknowledge that, first. Then we can try to understand the degrees or levels of abstraction, and the ways we can use these to better understand ourselves in our experience of the world. Let's stop pretending that the world is a "thing", and start recognizing that it's an event, happening. And for us, it's all cognitive. NOT MATERIAL.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
There are no gods to represent. That is what is being ignored and the deception that is occurring. The abstract constructs are the thing in themselves, they are not pointing to or representing something other than the abstract construct itself. The label 'Harry Potter' does not refer to a thing, it is a label for the abstract fictional construct itself.
There is the great mystery of being. That's what all those many god-concepts have been trying to represent. And anyone foolish enough to try to deny that and/or dismiss it is doomed to abject failure. Because the mystery is immutable.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
How do you know that there are no gods to represent via religions?
Probably for the same reasons many really like to ignore the fact that gods represent (or literally are) various aspects of reality, nature, and the universe. In many, many cases (at least this is the norm in indigenous and polytheistic theologies) the gods are not pointing to "abstract concepts" or "fictions" they're pointing to actual indisputably real things like the sun and the earth or emotions like love or practices like smithcraft. Honestly, all god-concepts emerged out of humanity's experiences with the world. All of them. Without exception. Some might just be a few more degrees removed than others. Why this is so hard to understand is baffling. They're all representing something someone experienced.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Oh, so it was intentionally that you didn't answer the question? And I thought I just didn't get the context.
The thing that brought me to my conclusion was

You listed the FSM, which is supposed to be a god, on par with YHVH, together with fairies and unicorns. So it must be OK.
I’m sorry…. but this really doesn’t sound like a discussion or a debate but rather just throwing out statements for argument sake.

Come back when you have a real question or valid point you want to make.

MikeF

Premium Member
There is the great mystery of being. That's what all those many god-concepts have been trying to represent. And anyone foolish enough to try to deny that and/or dismiss it is doomed to abject failure. Because the mystery is immutable.

It is not the unknown that is being denied. What is being flatly rejected is the notion that all those many god-concepts represent the unknown. They are exactly the opposite, for the unknown can not be represented, simply acknowledged and accepted. All those many fictional god-concepts are artificial constructs of reality invented to eliminate the unknown (or at the very least mask it) by providing pat and culturally specific solutions to unanswerable questions commensurate with the level of ignorance at the time of creation.

MikeF

Premium Member
Probably for the same reasons many really like to ignore the fact that gods represent

I would say for the vast majority throughout history, gods are said to be, they are not considered to be representations. Perhaps your statement reflects your attitude and that of modern pagans, but I do not see it as reflecting past indigenous and polytheistic beliefs.

In many, many cases (at least this is the norm in indigenous and polytheistic theologies) the gods are not pointing to "abstract concepts" or "fictions" they're pointing to actual indisputably real things like the sun and the earth or emotions like love or practices like smithcraft.

The sun and the earth are real, the fiction is the attributes assigned to those real things, the fictional deification of inanimate objects, assigning sentience and agency in the world to inanimate things. The physically existing sun then becomes an abstraction pointing to the fictional and abstract concept of a sun god, no different from a man-made statuette or idol created as an abstract pointer to any imagined fictional god concept, sun god included

ppp

Once magic becomes part of the description, falsification is no longer possible. Which means exactly nothing in terms of arguing against the proposition. So once again the false equivalence is meaningless.
The equivalence being drawn is the lack of demonstrable ability for the claimant to distinguish the truth from the falsity of his proposition. There is nothing false about that equivalence.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
If we can't or won't diffentiate between a representation and the thing it's meant to represent, we deceive ourselves.
Pure fiction doesn't (literally) represent anything at all. It's made up, that's what fiction is. To return to the point—the question of the existence of god(s)—the question is whether the god-concepts represent anything at all or are they just fiction. This is the distinction you seemed to want to ignore a few posts back (#190). The distinction maps directly to the concepts of leprechauns and fairies and whether they are concepts that represent something real or are they just fiction.

MikeF

Premium Member
In many ways, we are both saying the exact same thing. Instead of going point-by-point to your post #204, I'll focus the two points below to illustrate where we differ:

I try to point out the difference between any one person's concept of God, and the idea of God as a collective universal concept.

The idea of a "collective universal concept" of the 'god concept' is a fictional abstraction. It's fine if you want to imagine that all 'god concepts' are pointing to the same ideal, but there are no literal universal ideals. Ideals are wholly subjective and the set of fictional ideals held by any one individual will be unique to them and influence in by a wide variety of factors.

Let's stop pretending that the world is a "thing", and start recognizing that it's an event, happening. And for us, it's all cognitive. NOT MATERIAL.

The Cosmos *is* a thing *and* is full of events that are happening. The world is not solely cognitive, for there are real, non-abstract material events and circumstances that occur and affect us no matter what we may think about them.

PureX

Veteran Member
It is not the unknown that is being denied. What is being flatly rejected is the notion that all those many god-concepts represent the unknown.
Reject it all you want. But the unknown source, sustenance and purpose of all that we don't know is what the gods are all about. Gods of fertility, gods of the hunt, gods of war, gods of justice and retribution, gods of the afterlife; all these and more intended to represent what we don't understand and therefor can't control in this life. And so are hoped to somehow be convinced or cajoled to act on our behalf. Even the atheists have just swapped the old gods out for the new gods of science and technology and a new pretense of power over life that we don't really have.
They are exactly the opposite, for the unknown can not be represented, simply acknowledged and accepted.
It's easy. What we don't know God does. What we can't control God can. The morality that we can't make others adhere to God will. If we could just acknowledge and accept our limitations in this world we'd have little need or use for the gods.
All those many fictional god-concepts are artificial constructs of reality invented to eliminate the unknown (or at the very least mask it) by providing pat and culturally specific solutions to unanswerable questions commensurate with the level of ignorance at the time of creation.
Not to eliminate it, but to gain some sort of control over it: illusory of otherwise. God/gods are a characterization of the unknown that we can interact with, and thereby perhaps gain some influence over.

PureX

Veteran Member
The equivalence being drawn is the lack of demonstrable ability for the claimant to distinguish the truth from the falsity of his proposition.
Which means exactly nothing in relation to the validity of the claim being posed.
There is nothing false about that equivalence.
The ideal of equivalence itself, is false. It only functions when we ignore all the ways that the equated items are not equal. Actual equivalence can only exist within a single item, which renders the idea incoherent.

PureX

Veteran Member
Pure fiction doesn't (literally) represent anything at all. It's made up, that's what fiction is.
There is no such thing as "pure fiction". If there were, no one would understand it. Fiction is just reality re-arranged.
To return to the point—the question of the existence of god(s)—the question is whether the god-concepts represent anything at all or are they just fiction.
There is no "just fiction". This is a mythical state that you are using to maintain your bias.
This is the distinction you seemed to want to ignore a few posts back (#190).
Yes, because it's nonsense based on ignorance.
The distinction maps directly to the concepts of leprechauns and fairies and whether they are concepts that represent something real or are they just fiction.
Both the representations and the content they represent are real. And there is a mountain of evidence it prove it. If you continue to refuse to see this I can't make you see it.

Last edited:

wellwisher

A key difference is that Bigfoot, Nessie, unicorns, etc. all relate to phenomena that people claim to have seen on Earth, whereas God is mostly a generalized assumption about a being which is, at the very least, "not of this earth." We have the capability of searching the Earth, so if evidence of Bigfoot exists on Earth, we should be able to find it. If we can't, then that may cast doubt on Bigfoot's existence.

So, if it's a claim about something here on Earth, then that might be easier to confirm or refute than if it's about something from another galaxy or another dimension.
It also is about faith, and understanding that we need to be in the right place, at the right time, to make the proof, happen. One cannot just set up a lab experiment, and expect Bigfoot to show up; here I am! Then, when he does not show up in the lab, we declare he does not exist.

Instead you need to track him within his own land, from lore and other sightings, with the hope of our own sighting, even if that will not be believed by the skeptics. The skeptics refute to leave the lab, where big foot does not go. God is more likely to be found in a place of worship, just like big foot prefers places where the ground is soft on his big feet; see his tracks in bogs and marshes.