• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it Reasonable to Compare Gods with Bigfoot, Fairies, Unicorns, and Leprechauns?

F1fan

Veteran Member
It is not the unknown that is being denied. What is being flatly rejected is the notion that all those many god-concepts represent the unknown.
Yes indeed. And when the "unknown" represents God to a person why wouldn;t they have a motive to remain ignorant about as much as possible to create the uncertainty and mystery in life so God seems BIGGER?
They are exactly the opposite, for the unknown can not be represented, simply acknowledged and accepted. All those many fictional god-concepts are artificial constructs of reality invented to eliminate the unknown (or at the very least mask it) by providing pat and culturally specific solutions to unanswerable questions commensurate with the level of ignorance at the time of creation.
And we see believers claims to KNOW their version of God exists, and knows what the God wants and what Truth is. So more conflicting claims and beliefs from the religious.

PureX

Veteran Member
In many ways, we are both saying the exact same thing. Instead of going point-by-point to your post #204, I'll focus the two points below to illustrate where we differ:

The idea of a "collective universal concept" of the 'god concept' is a fictional abstraction.
The idea of a tree is a fictional abstraction. And yet everyone the world over recognizes the fictional abstraction of 'a tree', even though they will all hold forth a slightly different image-concept of a tree as the representation of their abstract ideal.
It's fine if you want to imagine that all 'god concepts' are pointing to the same ideal, but there are no literal universal ideals.
You don't seem to be understanding that we humans recognize reality through the many ideals we hold about it in our minds. We recognize the mountains, valleys, and forrests and rivers and everything else by relating them to the many ideals about reality that we hold in our minds. And a great many of these ideals are universal: meaning that they are held in the minds of all of us. I think you are conflating their being universal with their being absolute.
Ideals are wholly subjective and the set of fictional ideals held by any one individual will be unique to them and influence in by a wide variety of factors.
No, they aren't. They are created in our minds as a way of understanding what we actually experience through our interactions with the world around us. We experience many trees in our lifetime, and we generate the ideal of 'treeness' as a result of these eperiences. And every new tree we encounter gets recognized and evaluated through it's relation to that held ideal.
The Cosmos *is* a thing *and* is full of events that are happening.
The "thing" cosmos is an ideal you are holding onto in your mind. But science has long since shown us that "things" are actually events. Objects are actually phenomena. Philosophical materialism was dead on arrival 200 years ago. But there are many modern day atheists obsessed with maintaining it. And this is a sad testament to their willful ignorance of both philosophy and science.
The world is not solely cognitive, for there are real, non-abstract material events and circumstances that occur and affect us no matter what we may think about them.
The world is whatever it is. Mostly it's a mystery, to us. But all we're ever going to know of it will have to be known cognitively because that's how we're made. Perception is conception. Everything else is moot. So I think its time we stop insisting that knowledge is objective and static when nothing that exists is objective or static.

Last edited:

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
There is no such thing as "pure fiction". If there were, no one would understand it. Fiction is just reality re-arranged.
There is no "just fiction". This is mythical state that you are using to maintain your bias.
No idea why you think being deliberately obtuse is going to help you. :shrug:

You are clearly not so dim that you didn't understand my meaning. Sherlock Holmes is not a real person but a character in fiction. On the other hand, Winston Churchill was a real person. One is fiction, one isn't.

That is the distinction that we mean with respect to god-concepts. This isn't rocket science.

Yes, because it nonsense based on ignorance.
So you think there is literally no difference between the existence of Sherlock Holmes and Winston Churchill?

Both the representations are real, and so is the content they represent. And there is a mountain of evidence it prove it.
Please do feel free to present the evidence that supports the notion that leprechauns and fairies are real in the way that you and me are rather than they way Jean-Luc Picard (captain of the Enterprise) is....

PureX

Veteran Member
No idea why you think being deliberately obtuse is going to help you.
I can't make clear what you're trying so hard not to see.
You are clearly not so dim that you didn't understand my meaning. Sherlock Holmes is not a real person but a character in fiction.
The problem here is that you aren't considering nor bothering to clarify what a "real person" is or why you think it matters in relation to the fictional character of Sherlock Holmes. You keep wanting to denigrate fiction as being somehow not "real" yet you never bother to explain how it's not real, or why you think it matters. You think because it matters to you, that the rest of us should somehow automatically agree.

Sherlock Holmes is demonstrably real in many ways. But he is not real in some other ways, too. Why are you trying to imply that the ways in which he is not real somehow invalidates all the ways in which he is? Because this is what is happening , too, when people try to equate other fictional entities with God. It's the same dishonest, murky, inference that if these entities are not real in some way, they are not real, period. And therefor neither is God. Which is patently untrue in about four different but significant ways.
On the other hand, Winston Churchill was a real person. One is fiction, one isn't.
Neither is entirely fiction and neither is entirely real. Can you please stop hiding your point behind these deliberate murky obfuscations?
That is the distinction that we mean with respect to god-concepts. This isn't rocket science.
I know exactly what you and others are meaning to imply. But I'm not an idiot, so I can see through it. Which is what I am doing, here. The question is are you willing to open your own eyes and see through it, too? Or are you just going to continue to insist on hiding your bias behind deliberate obfuscation?
So you think there is literally no difference between the existence of Sherlock Holmes and Winston Churchill?
There are differences, and there are similarities. And both personas clearly exist, though not in exactly the same ways (but then nothng does). So the question is are you going to stop with these silly obfuscations and vague, pointless comparisons and start clarifying your position, or aren't you?
Please do feel free to present the evidence that supports the notion that leprechauns and fairies are real in the way that you and me are rather than they way Jean-Luc Picard (captain of the Enterprise) is....
I already did this in a previous post.

Last edited:

ratiocinator

The idea of a tree is a fictional abstraction.
No it isn't. It's an abstraction of real objects. Just like leprechauns, fairies, and god(s) aren't.

But science has long since shown us that "things" are actually events.
No it has not. 'Event' has a specific meaning in physics and it does not correspond to a 'thing'.

Philosophical materialism was dead on arrival 200 years ago.
Not relevant.

So I think its time we stop insisting that knowledge is objective and static when nothing that exists is objective or static.
If nothing is objective try doing something that is against the way the objective world works. Fly up to a tenth-story window unaided by technology. Project your hand through the computer screen. Once you can demonstrate that you are not constrained by the objective world, I'll take what you say seriously. Until then, not.

ratiocinator

Sherlock Holmes is demonstrably real in many ways. But he is not real in some other ways. Why are you trying to imply that the ways in which he is not real somehow negate the validity of the ways in which he is?
I'm not. I'm pointing out that there is a substantive difference in what we mean by 'real' in the two cases. Sherlock Holmes was never a real, flesh and blood person. That matters. Trying to pretend that it doesn't is absurd.

Can we please stop hiding behind these deliberate murky obfuscations?
irony.gif

Genuine LOL! Most normal people understand exactly what the difference between a fictional character and a real one is. It is you who is trying to obfuscate.

I know exactly what you and other are meaning to imply. But I'm not an idiot, so I can see through it. Which is what I am doing, here. The question is are you willing to open your own eyes and see through, too?
Comical.

I already did this in a previous post.
Where? Pretty sure I'd have noticed if you'd manage to show evidence that leprechauns and fairies are real in the same way that you and me are....

PureX

Veteran Member
Why the heck would the standard way to use the word 'real' be dishonest and murky?
Because for one, it's not "standard", it's biased. So it's only "standard" for those who hold that bias. And for another, it's not only imprecise, it's deliberately imprecise, and then actively kept imprecise so that it can continue to infer a false (biased) conclusion.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Because for one, it's not "standard", it's biased. So it's only "standard" for those who hold that bias. And for another, it's not only imprecise, it's deliberately imprecise, and then actively kept imprecise so that it can continue to infer a false (biased) conclusion.

It is the standard one because if you ask an average Joe, that is how he is going to use the word 'real'. Do you disagree? I can create a poll in reddit to make my point if necessary.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What of religion are you specifically referring to that is not mythical? Please elaborate.
The Baha'i Faith is not mythical.

mythical​

1 : based on or described in a myth especially as contrasted with history
2 : existing only in the imagination : fictitious, imaginary
constructed a mythical all-star team
3 : having qualities suitable to myth : legendary
the twilight of a mythic professional career—

myth​

an ancient story or set of stories, especially explaining the early history of a group of people or about natural events and facts:
ancient myths
The children enjoyed the stories about the gods and goddesses of Greek and Roman myth.
Most societies have their own creation myths.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Pure fiction doesn't (literally) represent anything at all. It's made up, that's what fiction is.
Yes, fiction is a made up story, but sometimes the story has a moral lesson to teach.

What does Jonah and the whale teach us?

Jonah And The Whale Story For Children With Moral

The short story has much to teach children in terms of moral lessons that they can apply to their lives. The main lesson is to trust the almighty and have faith in him as he has planned everything for everyone, and in the end, everything will be fine.Sep 3, 2022

Jonah And The Whale Story With Moral For Kids - Firstcry

On the other hand, some stories such as the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ are just made up, and there is no moral lesson.

MikeF

Premium Member
The Baha'i Faith is not mythical.

The people who make up the religion are not myth, of course. Any claimed entity by the religion certainly is, however. A little deeper dive on what myth is can be found on Wikipedia. Keep in mind however, the whole idea of acknowledging and highlighting the fictional foundations of most religions creates controversy, so there is tendency to soften definitions. At it's core, a myth is simply a fiction held by someone to be true or non-fictitious.

Here are some quotes from Wiki:

"Scholars in other fields use the term "myth" in varied ways. In a broad sense, the word can refer to any traditional story, popular misconception or imaginary entity.​
...​
In colloquial use, "myth" can also be used of a collectively held belief that has no basis in fact, or any false story. This usage, which is often pejorative, arose from labelling the religious myths and beliefs of other cultures as incorrect, but it has spread to cover non-religious beliefs as well.​
...​
Since "myth" is popularly used to describe stories that are not objectively true, the identification of a narrative as a myth can be highly controversial. Many religious adherents believe that the narratives told in their respective religious traditions are historical without question, and so object to their identification as myths while labelling traditional narratives from other religions as such."​
Quick search on Baha'i website gives me this:

"Bahá’ís consider the Báb to be both an independent Messenger of God and the forerunner of Bahá’u’lláh (“the Glory of God” in Arabic), who is the founder of the Bahá’í Faith."​
So, here, the referenced entity "God" is the fictional entity held to be real by those of the Baha'i faith. Given the definition of myth, it seems safe to characterize Baha'i faith as a myth based religion, just as most other religions are.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Quick search on Baha'i website gives me this:

"Bahá’ís consider the Báb to be both an independent Messenger of God and the forerunner of Bahá’u’lláh (“the Glory of God” in Arabic), who is the founder of the Bahá’í Faith."So, here, the referenced entity "God" is the fictional entity held to be real by those of the Baha'i faith.
The salient point is that you do not know that the referenced entity "God" is a fictional entity held to be real by those of the Baha'i Faith.
You only believe that.
The God could either be fictional or real.
Given the definition of myth, it seems safe to characterize Baha'i faith as a myth based religion, just as most other religions are.
Given the definition of myth, the Baha'i Faith cannot be characterized as a myth based religion, as most other religions are.

myth
an ancient story or set of stories, especially explaining the early history of a group of people or about natural events and facts:
ancient myths
The children enjoyed the stories about the gods and goddesses of Greek and Roman myth.
Most societies have their own creation myths.

MikeF

Premium Member
The salient point is that you do not know that the referenced entity "God" is a fictional entity held to be real by those of the Baha'i Faith.
You only believe that.
The God could either be fictional or real.

I do actually know it, and I know it with great confidence.

My intent is not to challenge or dissuade you from your beliefs, it is simply to explain my position.

This of course relates back to the OP, for how is it possible to point out the myth to a myth holder without causing offense.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I do actually know it, and I know it with great confidence.

My intent is not to challenge or dissuade you from your beliefs, it is simply to explain my position
I do actually know that God exists, and I know it with great confidence.

My intent is not to challenge or dissuade you from your non-beliefs, it is simply to explain my position.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Rubbish! The word "real" in the context used means nothing more difficult than "actually existing as a thing or occurring in fact; not imagined or supposed." Those who wish to establish as "real" something to which they are emotionally attached are left with the challenge of demonstrating that existence or factual occurrence. Something which -- as we see all too often, they are unwilling (or perhaps unable) to do.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Yes, fiction is a made up story, but sometimes the story has a moral lesson to teach.

What does Jonah and the whale teach us?

Jonah And The Whale Story For Children With Moral

The short story has much to teach children in terms of moral lessons that they can apply to their lives. The main lesson is to trust the almighty and have faith in him as he has planned everything for everyone, and in the end, everything will be fine.Sep 3, 2022

Jonah And The Whale Story With Moral For Kids - Firstcry

On the other hand, some stories such as the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ are just made up, and there is no moral lesson.
Well, there's a slam at Christianity if I've ever seen one! Do you not suppose that Christians can take what "teaching" they like from the resurrection? Moreover, do you not see that while you think the Jonah story has a moral lesson to teach, Christians see the story as a forshadowing of their own end? Because, Jonah cried out from the belly of the "great fish" (it wasn't a whale) and the Lord saved him, and Jesus cried out from the Cross, and the Lord saved him. And Christians can likewise cry out from the belly of their own iniquity -- and shall the Lord not save them?

(My goodness, I'm sounding like one myself. But, hey Christians, don't think I don't understand the imagery.)