• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is It Time To Consider The Commandment "Be Fruitful And Multiply" Fulfilled?

meogi

CynthiaCypher said:
Unlike you I am look at the whole picture and base my doubts on reality, we have political and economic realities to contend with some of which prevent us from progressing further as a species.
See: pessimism. :)

You discover things by attempting change.

And you do realize there's an international (human species) space station, right? Hadron supercollider? Fusion? I guess we should just give up these endeavors?

Look, we likely will not see it happen in our lifetimes, but the possibility is there. Please take your pessimistic ever from the discussion. (Which has gotton way off topic).
CynthiaCypher said:
That's not ever going to happen.

That said, to the OP: I think the bigger issue is that technology has allowed humans to live (much) longer than they have in the past, not that we continue to bring life into existence.

I have to get ready for a job interview, more later.

CynthiaCypher

See: pessimism. :)

You discover things by attempting change.

And you do realize there's an international (human species) space station, right? Hadron supercollider? Fusion? I guess we should just give up these endeavors?

Look, we likely will not see it happen in our lifetimes, but the possibility is there. Please take your pessimistic ever from the discussion. (Which has gotton way off topic).

That said, to the OP: I think the bigger issue is that technology has allowed humans to live (much) longer than they have in the past, not that we continue to bring life into existence.

I have to get ready for a job interview, more later.

How many people can fit in the space station? Not all of us that's for sure. As for the Hardon supercollider...how many people is that going to fed?

All those endeavors in the end are meaningless when you have a ecosystem that is changing so drastically that it might not be able to sustain us.

not nom

if we don't get off fossil fuels, we are screwed. we are a huge "organism", and we have a huge intake and a finite supply. the things, the achievements you mentioned are tips of the iceberg that is a somewhat working economy and whatnot. it's not like now we invented the hadron collider, any human can build one with sticks and stones.

and it's not just fuel, it's drinking water and food, medicine. a healthy human today has NOTHING to gain by flying off to wherever, in comparison to how much someone dying of thirst would gain from clean drinking water.

flying to the stars, because of the problems our own sheer mass causes us, is silly anyway. it costs resources and doesn't gain us anything. it doesn't matter wether it's technically possible, it's not economically viable for a long time to come. certainly not for one reason: for all the progress you mentioned.. human affairs, politics seem to have changed very little, if at all, over millenia. and our problem isn't lack of technology or spaceships, it's how we deal with our resources and each other; that's what, after having decimated so much of flora and fauna of the planet, is beginning to look hungrily at us.

sure, catastrophe tends to bring us together. but in this case, the catastrophe when it occurs also tie our hands (in comparison to the options we still have). and that's the dilemma IMHO.

CynthiaCypher

Why do people get so mad at me when I point out the realities of the situation at hand? You guys are acting just like orthodox Christians do when their beliefs get questioned.

not nom

Why do people get so mad at me when I point out the realities of the situation at hand? You guys are acting just like orthodox Christians do when their beliefs get questioned.

I wonder how many people involved with the ISS or the LHC would agree or disagree with the statement "oh yeah, that just means we need to get off this stupid rock [which also implies that's possible in the given timeframe]". you know, scientists. :facepalm:

meogi

CynthiaCypher said:
How many people can fit in the space station? Not all of us that's for sure.
How many people can fit in any vehicle? Not all of us, but we still use them for transportation.
CynthiaCypher said:
As for the Hardon supercollider...how many people is that going to fed?
Haha, I do enjoy when people misspell Hadron. ;) How would NOT utilizing it feed people?
CynthiaCypher said:
All those endeavors in the end are meaningless
No endeavor is ever meaningless.
CynthiaCypher said:
when you have a ecosystem that is changing so drastically that it might not be able to sustain us.
True. But I'll point out you used the word might.
CynthiaCypher said:
Why do people get so mad at me when I point out the realities of the situation at hand?
I can only speak for myself, but I'm not mad at you; I disagree with your pessimistic outlook on the future of space travel. My whole reply was based on your use of the word ever.

I agree with you on most parts.

meogi

not nom said:
if we don't get off fossil fuels, we are screwed.
The thing is, we've realized this. And we are working to get off them.
not nom said:
the things, the achievements you mentioned are tips of the iceberg that is a somewhat working economy and whatnot. it's not like now we invented the hadron collider, any human can build one with sticks and stones.
No, but they are a testament to how working together, we can achieve something so amazing.
not nom said:
for all the progress you mentioned.. human affairs, politics seem to have changed very little, if at all, over millenia. and our problem isn't lack of technology or spaceships, it's how we deal with our resources and each other
And that's why I'm so optimistic about where we will go. We are living at a pivotal point of the human species. Technology JUST happened. Look at where we've come in the last 100 years; the last 20. We know there are problems, and we are working on solving them. And they will be solved.

The worst part about technology is that for the vast majority of us, it's made life so easy that we've stopped trying. There's a lot to distract us, and there will always be people who try and capitalize on that. But, on the flip side, technology has made us more aware of these people.

What an awesome, interesting time we live in, eh?

not nom

Look at where we've come in the last 100 years; the last 20.

Overpopulation and Extinction

- Humans annually absorb 42 percent of the Earth’s terrestrial net primary productivity, 30 percent of its marine net primary productivity, and 50 percent of its fresh water.
- Forty percent of the planet’s land is devoted to human food production, up from 7 percent in 1700.
- Fifty percent of the planet’s land mass has been transformed for human use.
- More atmospheric nitrogen is now fixed by humans that all other natural processes combined

oh, and we've come so far that people can call earth a "stupid rock" without even considering to wash their mouth with soap, OR how incredibly stupid that is (hint: earth is the only known planetoid which is NOT just a stupid rock). awesome.

and where are the pollinating insects are going? anyone found something out yet? seeing how we know there are problems, and are "working on them".

We know there are problems, and we are working on solving them. And they will be solved.

I have not ever heard any meaningful proposals when it comes to trends as the ones quoted above, or the gap between rich and poor, or our financial system which always has more debt than there is money in it to pay it with, thanks to interest.

it's not a scientific problem. scientists have the insight, but they don't have the leverage, the power so to speak. they are free to give their advice, and usually perfectly safe to ignore when it comes to quartal profits or demagoguery.

we have the food to feed everybody. we just don't give it to them. instead: iraq war and debts for future generations. woo.

you said "look how far we came", but I asked about social and political progress. I'm aware of the technology. I just say bollocks to it when it's for the benefit of a few. all other things remaining how they are now, that is what would effectively happen. it's still how aesop put it, "we hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office". only now we can do it with optic fibers in real time. neat!

sure, I'm a cynic. but I don't argue for apathy, I just find wide eyed dreaming appalling, and what some suggest about the near future, people in the 50's suggested about the 2000's. it didn't happen. let's wake the **** up already and deal with the problem right in front of our nose, ourselves.

Photonic

Ad astra!

Because what you are pointing out is your own personal reality, not objective reality.

not nom

Because what you are pointing out is your own personal reality, not objective reality.

you could reply that to anything. it's empty. so, no arguments. figures.

oh, and as opposed to you pointing that out? are you in some way holder of the objective truth? you think?

Photonic

Ad astra!
you could reply that to anything. it's empty. so, no arguments. figures.

oh, and as opposed to you pointing that out? are you in some way holder of the objective truth? you think?

So facts don't exist? Care to back that up?

not nom

So facts don't exist? Care to back that up?

oh, objective reality exists. it's just that we don't have direct access to it. and saying "that's subjective" can't be an argument, because it's a subjective statement itself. if you think your assessment is objective, you're insane, not objective.

krsnaraja

oh, objective reality exists. it's just that we don't have direct access to it. and saying "that's subjective" can't be an argument, because it's a subjective statement itself. if you think your assessment is objective, you're insane, not objective.

Insane people should be admitted to an asylum not in RF. :eek:

not nom

ironically, I'm making objective claims here I guess. yeah well so what, I know better than to claim sanity ^^

saying her views are not objective, seems to imply that the people who get ****** off by them do have an objective view. that'd be nuts.

if you meant something less nuts, that her view is subjective, and so are the views of the people ****** off by them -- that's a pointless statement. you could reply that to anything. it answers no question, it's void.

not nom

:confused: "why do people scream at me when I pour glue over their dogs?"

:D "because that is an action, dogs have properties, and their owners have certain principles and preferences."

:confused: "ya, that really helps me understand the properties of glue, the effects applying it to dogs, and the relationship between dogs and their owners. thank you for your kind efforts."