• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is It Time To Consider The Commandment "Be Fruitful And Multiply" Fulfilled?

not nom

Building several closed system green cities might solve some problems but there are still going to be some issues. Who gets to live in them? And what's going to happen to the people who live outside them?

it's more like "then we know that is even possible for us to pull off". but sure, the general issue is pretty much unphased. I mean, the topic. no man is an island.. the question is not, will there be survivors in any shape or form, but will it suck. stone age would suck, a two tier society would suck. IM(totally not)HO.

Trey of Diamonds

Building several closed system green cities might solve some problems but there are still going to be some issues. Who gets to live in them? And what's going to happen to the people who live outside them?

Good points. Closed system green cities would be addressing the symptoms not the cause. The cause is too many people having too many babies. The solution to that problem is not agreeable with most people. Governmental control over who is allowed to procreate will cause many more problems than simple overcrowding.

not nom

that's dandy-diddle-di-doo! going forward, we will simply have to agree to disagree on regards to the viability of off-planet ecosystems as they pertain to solving our short and medium term resource problems, while otherwise utilizing a positive feedback environment. I'm glad we touched base on this :D

work in progress

Then God's commandment is irrelevant to you...yet it is part of the OP.
It is in the OP for the obvious reason that blind, rigid adherence to a commandment to have lots of children is causing misery and deprivation in many places in the world right now, and will lead to catastrophe when global food production starts to decline in a few years.

work in progress

Did you miss all my other posts? I couldn't agree with you more. Space is NOT the answer to our problems, mostly due to time. The post you quoted was merely pointing out that we have an entire solar system of resources to explore before needing to look outside of the solar system for viable planets.

I still say that nature will eventually regain its balance, probably through pandemic or war. Possibly through climate change itself. As the planet warms and the northern lands become more livable there will be more places for humans to settle. Look at Canada and Siberia; lots of space.
This tells me that you should do some reading on what's happening to our changing climate! If you've ever spent any time in Canada's Far North, you'd know that the land is useless for agriculture of the sort that goes on in the south....largely because successive ice ages pushed all of the topsoil down into the mid-latitudes. The ground is nothing but rock and muskeg -- a cold swamp of vegetation that supports little except for a few caribou herds and musk oxen. There won't be anything to grow up there no matter what the temperature is! Same thing on the other side of the Arctic Ocean from what I gather, the Siberian Traps is a volcanic wasteland that covers one quarter of the land area. And then we have to add up the devastated agricultural zones that are being stressed now by alternating droughts and floods caused by our increasingly unstable climate.

I don't think a blind faith in some natural balance being restored can be justified if we consider that two countries that are going to be the most greatly affected by climate change, decline in agricultural production and population increase, are Pakistan and India -- two countries that are both armed with nuclear warheads, and share the same major rivers used for irrigation.....good luck finding the silver lining in this cloud!