• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jesus a Mythical Character?

Oberon

I've read the entire bible thru twice, and many parts much more besides, and was a practicing Christian for a number of years when younger.

HInduism was around for a long time before Xianity. Concerning Krishna and Christ

"Author Kersey Graves (1813-1883), a Quaker from Indiana, compared Jesus Christ's and Krishna's life. He found what he believed were 346 elements in common within Christian and Hindu writings.

He did report some amazing coincidences:
  • #6 & 45: Christ and Krishna were called both God and the Son of God.
  • 7: Both was sent from heaven to earth in the form of a man.
  • 8 & 46: Both were called Savior, and the second person of the Trinity
  • 13, 15, 16 & 23: His adoptive human father was a carpenter.
  • 18: A spirit or ghost was their actual father.
  • 21: Krishna and Jesus were of royal descent.
  • 27 & 28: Both were visited at birth by wise men and shepherds, guided by a star.
  • 30 to 34: Angels in both cases issued a warning that the local dictator planned to kill the baby and had issued a decree for his assassination. The parents fled. Mary and Joseph stayed in Muturea; Krishna's parents stayed in Mathura.
  • 41 & 42: Both Christ and Krishna withdrew to the wilderness as adults, and fasted.
  • 56: Both were identified as "the seed of the woman bruising the serpent's head."
  • 58: Jesus was called "the lion of the tribe of Judah." Krishna was called "the lion of the tribe of Saki."
  • 60: Both claimed: "I am the Resurrection."
  • 66: Both were "without sin."
  • 72: Both were god-men: being considered both human and divine.
  • 76, 77, & 78: They were both considered omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent.
  • 83, 84, & 85: Both performed many miracles, including the healing of disease. One of the first miracles that both performed was to make a leper whole. Each cured "all manner of diseases."
  • 86 & 87: Both cast out indwelling demons, and raised the dead.
  • 101: Both selected disciples to spread his teachings.
  • 109 to 112: Both were meek, and merciful. Both were criticized for associating with sinners.
  • 115: Both encountered a Gentile woman at a well.
  • 121 to 127: Both celebrated a last supper. Both forgave his enemies. "

Wow. Where to begin.

When you have such a widely varying group of traditions, it is easy to pick out pieces of them, play with the wording, and not "amazing coincidences." For example, to say that "both were issued a warning that the local dictator planned to kill the family" attempts to make similarities when really there are none. Jesus' parents were peasants, and Herod was no relation. In the Krishna story, Krishna is a member of the royal family, and it is his uncle that sought to kill him. Additionally, he was raised by foster parents.
There are many, many aspects of the various stories and traditions about Krishna which find no parallel in the gospels or Jesus tradition. For one thing, as with all myths, Krishna is not anchored by a historical time and place near to when the myths began. Even in the ancient bhagava gita, as with the Illiad, the stories are already old.
However, the most important thing is the vast gulf, once the stories are examined in their entirety, between the two traditions.

Finally, I asked you to cite sources you have read, not online citations of a work someone else read (especially if that work is by a random quaker from a century ago). The reason is I would like to know where these "facts" about Krishna come from. Some of them are obviously single parts of the Krishna tradition in which the wording has been altered to make the similarity more "striking." Others of them I am not familiar with at all (which doesn't mean they aren't, in some way, a part of the tradition, because I am far less familiar with the Krishna tradition than with that of Jesus). So I would like to ask what the source is behind these statements (i.e. what document can I go to in order to examine what is actually said concerning Krishna.

Then there are the problems with the Jesus tradition aspects of the story. Where is it written that Jesus' parents visited muturea? You read the gospels (supposedly), so perhaps you can point that out.

As for the Osiris story, the same problems abound. You talk about these traditions "floating" around, although you have yet to demonstrate how exactly the Jesus tradition was supposed to have access to them. Again, the similarities are superficial. For example, Osiris, in the earliest versions of the myth, wasn't really resurrected at all. He was chopped up into pieces, which were then put back together and reanimated, except his penis, which had to be replaced. Somehow, I am not reminded of the gospels when I read this story.

I will ask again for you to point to SPECIFIC texts you have read (either good secondary scholarship, or primary sources), and if they are primary texts, point out to me the similarities FROM THE TEXTS themselves, and then we can examine them.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Anyone who uses the bible as evidence, or evidence from scholars basing their own evidence on the bible has failed already to prove Jesus was divine or real for that matter.
This is simply childish. At issue is not whether historicity has been or can be proven but, rather, whether it represents inference to best explanation.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
This is simply childish. At issue is not whether historicity has been or can be proven but, rather, whether it represents inference to best explanation.

Good old Jay, its been to long since i've had a serve of your arrogance :rolleyes:

Doesn't "best explanation" say it all? The best explanation is not really a definative answer, its just another guess with weak evidence to show for it. Hardly comprehensive, all we need is more speculation on this matter.

Oberon

Doesn't "best explanation" say it all? The best explanation is not really a definative answer, its just another guess with weak evidence to show for it. Hardly comprehensive, all we need is more speculation on this matter.

History, particularly ancient, but in a sense all of history, is a search for the "best explanation" of the data. In the case of ancient history, where often enough the evidence is scarce, and not as reliable, it is more difficult to sort through the evidence for the best explanation. This is in part the reason for the widely varying answers to questions concerning Jesus' life and mission. However, there is a reason why virtually every ancient historian accepts Jesus as historical. I have critiqued the "Jesus is a pure myth" theory from two angles.

The first is the ripping pieces of a wide variety of myths from a wide variety of cultures/times, and comparing them with pieces of the Jesus story. In order for this to be the explanation behind the Jesus tradition, one would have to imagine a person, or group of people, having access to a library full of mythic traditions, and going through all of them to put together a new one for a sect of Jews. In addition, this group would have to deal with the fact that there were still people around who could remember, or were merely a single generation removed from, the events which the gospels discuss (this is why myths always take place sometime in a distant past). Were they entirely mythic, it is hard to believe they were would ever be taken seriously. In short, the scenerio used to explain the origins of the Jesus tradition is almost as implausible as the son of God coming down to earth.

The second angle of my critique concerns the gospels themselves as "historical" texts. This is not to say that they were anything like modern history, nor even necessarily good ancient history (I have already noted the comparison of several scholars between the greco-roman genre of "lives" and the gospels), but unlike myth the preserve historical data which can be verified independently (places, names, events, etc, all of which existed around the time Jesus lived and worked). To reject the everything in the NT as myth because it contains things which are either unhistorical or miraculous is to misunderstand the nature of historical texts in the ancient world, which frequently (or always) contained such things. Finally, there is independent attestation for Jesus from Josephus, and the fact that Jesus is referenced by Josephus is accepted by a very wide scholarly consensus. As I said before, Josephus' statement alone is better evidence for a historical Jesus than we have for a historical Pythagoras.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
History, particularly ancient, but in a sense all of history, is a search for the "best explanation" of the data. In the case of ancient history, where often enough the evidence is scarce, and not as reliable, it is more difficult to sort through the evidence for the best explanation. This is in part the reason for the widely varying answers to questions concerning Jesus' life and mission. However, there is a reason why virtually every ancient historian accepts Jesus as historical. I have critiqued the "Jesus is a pure myth" theory from two angles.

The first is the ripping pieces of a wide variety of myths from a wide variety of cultures/times, and comparing them with pieces of the Jesus story. In order for this to be the explanation behind the Jesus tradition, one would have to imagine a person, or group of people, having access to a library full of mythic traditions, and going through all of them to put together a new one for a sect of Jews. In addition, this group would have to deal with the fact that there were still people around who could remember, or were merely a single generation removed from, the events which the gospels discuss (this is why myths always take place sometime in a distant past). Were they entirely mythic, it is hard to believe they were would ever be taken seriously. In short, the scenerio used to explain the origins of the Jesus tradition is almost as implausible as the son of God coming down to earth.

The second angle of my critique concerns the gospels themselves as "historical" texts. This is not to say that they were anything like modern history, nor even necessarily good ancient history (I have already noted the comparison of several scholars between the greco-roman genre of "lives" and the gospels), but unlike myth the preserve historical data which can be verified independently (places, names, events, etc, all of which existed around the time Jesus lived and worked). To reject the everything in the NT as myth because it contains things which are either unhistorical or miraculous is to misunderstand the nature of historical texts in the ancient world, which frequently (or always) contained such things. Finally, there is independent attestation for Jesus from Josephus, and the fact that Jesus is referenced by Josephus is accepted by a very wide scholarly consensus. As I said before, Josephus' statement alone is better evidence for a historical Jesus than we have for a historical Pythagoras.

My problem with all this is that the bible is not an ordinary historical source nor was it intended to be. It is very difficult to get an accurate picture of Jesus as generally speaking (from my experience), the main source being the bible only has a few pieces of useful and realistic evidence. The rest is a lot of heresey, virgin birth? great floods? characters living to 600 years old? What im trying to say is it is very hard to pick apart realistic from unreal. There is a lot of information in the bible, 90% of it is historically useless to us.

I think its slightly off topic though. To put it simply, i think we know Jesus lived. Archeology has given us some evidence of that. Im pretty sure its recorded in Roman History as well that jesus was crucified by the reigning emperor (Trajan or Nero?????)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Good old Jay, its been to long since i've had a serve of your arrogance :rolleyes:

What is arrogant is babbling with so little intellectual foundation. On the role of "Inference to Best Explanation" see, for example:
Inference to the Best Explanation: A Common and Effective Form of Archaeological Reasoning

Lars Fogelin

Abstract

Processual and postprocessual archaeologists implicitly employ the same epistemological system to evaluate the worth of different explanations: inference to the best explanation. This is good since inference to the best explanation is the most effective epistemological approach to archaeological reasoning available. Underlying the logic of inference to the best explanation is the assumption that the explanation that accounts for the most evidence is also most likely to be true. This view of explanation often reflects the practice of archaeological reasoning better than either the hypothetico-deductive method or hermeneutics. This article explores the logic of inference to the best explanation and provides clear criteria to determine what makes one explanation better than another. Explanations that are empirically broad, general, modest, conservative, simple, that are testable, and address many perspectives are better than explanations that are not. This article also introduces a system of understanding explanation that emphasizes the role of contrastive pairings in the construction of specific explanations. This view of explanation allows for a better understanding of when and when not, to engage in the testing of specific explanations.

- source
See, also, the brief section titled "Synthesis: historical reasoning" in the Wikipedia entry on Historical Method.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
What is arrogant is babbling with so little intellectual foundation. On the role of "Inference to Best Explanation" see, for example:

Once again proving the point.

My arguement is that the bible is not like any other source, and cannot be treated as such. Even using simple methods of analysis like i used at highschool are very difficult to apply to the bible. History from biblical places during the biblical time is shakey. My reference here is more towards his "power" and "divinity." Using basic methods, Jesus can be proven to have existed beyond reasonable doubt. There is a general acceptance among most credible historians as well.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
My reference here is more towards his "power" and "divinity." Using basic methods, Jesus can be proven to have existed beyond reasonable doubt.
  1. The question of historicity has nothing to do with the question of divinity.
  2. Jesus can not be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
People dig things up all the time relating to "jesus," they can prove the time period and locations are given by the bible. Its up to you to evaluate the "evidence."
As I said, it's arrogant to babble with so little intellectual foundation. There is zero archaeological evidence of Jesus.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I would term arrogant to the constant belittling of other individuals to make yourself feel better Jay. TBH im yet to see a pleasant comment from you to anyone on this forum. Its unpleasant and hard to respect you.
I am simply contemptuous of the apparent willingness of some to pretentiously offer preposterous claims for which they have zero evidence and about which they have near zero understanding.

Its not unfounded, ...
It is entirely unfounded. If you know of any archaeological evidence, please feel free to reference it. If not, please feel free to consider why you are so willing to make such a silly claim.

..., don't you watch the history channel?
Never. But I have, for example, been a member of ASOR and SBL for a good many years. Had such archaeological evidence come to light, it would have dominated the attention of both, not to mention the mind-numbing efforts of CNN, etc.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Anyone who uses the bible as evidence, or evidence from scholars basing their own evidence on the bible has failed already to prove Jesus was divine or real for that matter.

I agree...I said this a few pages ago.....:(

With that said, it appears that the relevant piece of proof that has been offered is the statement made by Josephus in (Antiquities 20,9,1), assuming it's not an interpolation as the infamous (Antiquities 18,3,3).

For me, Josephus wasn't a witness to the life and times of the man Yeshua (Jesus). He wasn't even born. Is it safe to assume what he himself learned about Jesus would have been passed on to him by word of mouth or possibly written by person(s) (whom we may not know)...Maybe some or a big portion of his knowledge of the biblical Jesus comes from the letters of Paul.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Jesus' baptism by John

This event is held to be historical by scholarly consensus. There are several reasons.

First, the story is anchored by another historical figure, for whom we have independed attestation (from Josephus): John the Baptist. It also coheres with what we know about him: that he did in fact baptize people, and was well known for it.
Okay, but this by itself only really gets you to "not implausible".

Second, it satisfies the crition of embarrassment. The baptism of Jesus by John would place Jesus in a distinctly inferior position. The fact that the gospels go out of their way to lessen as much as possible (John leaves out the incident altogether) demonstrates this.
I've mentioned this before, but I really don't think that the recording of this in the Gospels places Jesus in an inferior position. Look at how it's described in Mark 1:

5The whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem went out to him. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River. 6John wore clothing made of camel's hair, with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey. 7And this was his message: "After me will come one more powerful than I, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie. 8I baptize you with[d] water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit."

9At that time Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. 10As Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. 11And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased."

The story includes an allusion to the idea that Jesus' greatness far surpasses John's and concludes with God giving Jesus a personal endorsement. I don't see any inferiority in this.

And even if there was, why would that be an issue? One of the central themes of the Gospels is that placing onesself in an inferior position is glorifying and pleasing to God, not embarrasing... or can we use similar logic to this to conclude that the the washing of the disciples' feet at the Last Supper is historical as well?

Also, it seems like you tried to slip something by: Mark mentions the Baptism, as does Matthew and Luke... though if the Markian priority hypothesis is correct, this just reinforces the fact that it was in Mark. However, John doesn't mention it. I find it odd that you would acknowledge the fact that this event is missing from one of the two independent accounts we have (taking Matthew and Luke as dependent on Mark) as a point in favour of it being historical rather than a point against it.

I think it's a fair assumption that if the incident were mentioned in John, you'd take the agreement between the Gospels as evidence that the incident was historical as well. Is there any arrangement that wouldn't be considered support for historicity?

Third, at the time Mark at least was written, there were still followers of John the baptist who could be asked about the event (which some scholars suggest is the only reason it was recorded at all).
Two questions immediately come to mind:

- when do you think that Mark was written, and why? (Edit: maybe leave out the "why", or we'll be here all day. ;) )

- where do you think that Mark was written? Do you have any particular reason to think it was written in the geographic vicinity of followers of John the Baptist?

The author of the Gospel of Mark does indeed seem to lack first-hand knowledge of the geography of Palestine. Randel Helms writes concerning Mark 11:1 (Who Wrote the Gospels?, p. 6): "Anyone approaching Jerusalem from Jericho would come first to Bethany and then Bethphage, not the reverse. This is one of several passages showing that Mark knew little about Palestine; we must assume, Dennis Nineham argues, that 'Mark did not know the relative positions of these two villages on the Jericho road' (1963, 294-295). Indeed, Mark knew so little about the area that he described Jesus going from Tyrian territory 'by way of Sidon to the Sea of Galilee through the territory of the Ten Towns' (Mark 7:31); this is similar to saying that one goes from London to Paris by way of Edinburgh and Rome. The simplist solution, says Nineham, is that 'the evangelist was not directly acquainted with Palestine' (40)."

Source

Fourth, several different strains of the Jesus tradition record a relationship between John and Jesus.
Not sure what you mean here; which strains are you referring to?

Fifth, the event helps to explain other aspects of the Jesus tradition (where Jesus got his start, some of his first disciples, Jesus' sayings concerning John, a source of Jesus' apocalyptic outlook, etc).
I really don't see how this helps to establish historicity. Even a fictional story builds its plot somehow.

Last edited:

logician

The passing reference to some Jesus made by Josephus is an obvious forgery, out of place and written as some kind of afterthought. Even it, though, if authentic, would not be evidence of anything more than hearsay of past events.

logician

The divinity of the supposed Jesus, of course, is quite unprovable, and belongs in the realm of mythology of all god-man myths, which brings up the point as to what Jesus are Christian scholars trying to prove really existed, a prophet, a teacher, a madman, a rabbi, or something else?

Oberon

Okay, but this by itself only really gets you to "not implausible".
True enough. In fact nothing here, by itself, is a good argument for historicity. It is when everything is taken together that it becomes much more likely (and therefore historical, as "historical" really only means what most likely happened in the past).

I've mentioned this before, but I really don't think that the recording of this in the Gospels places Jesus in an inferior position.

I'll quote from Meier's second volume of A Marginal Jew: "There is no credible reason why the early church of the first generation should have gone out of its way to invent a story that would only create enormous difficulties for its inventor. After all, the story of the baptism presents the church's Lord being put in a postition of inferiority to John by accepting from him a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. The narrative runs counter to the desire of all Four Gospels to make the historically independ John merely the forerunner, proclaimer, prophet, or witness of Jesus. More to the point, the idea the Jesus, whom early Christainity considered sinless and the source of forgiveness of for humanity, should be associated with sinners by undergoing a "baptism for the forgiveness of sins" is hardly a fiction created by the church, unless the church enjoyed multiplying difficulties for itself. Significantly, in this case we are not simply projecting embarrassment we may feel back onto the early church, which in theory might have had different sensitivities on the subject. As a matter of plain fact, the Gospels do encince embarrassment at the story of Jesus' baptism and try to "control the damage" as best they can.
The earliest kind of damage control seems already present in the pre-Markan tradition: the overshadowing of the actual event of baptism--which is quickly passed over and barely "narrated" in any real sense--with the theophany that follows.

Also, it seems like you tried to slip something by: Mark mentions the Baptism, as does Matthew and Luke... though if the Markian priority hypothesis is correct, this just reinforces the fact that it was in Mark. However, John doesn't mention it. I find it odd that you would acknowledge the fact that this event is missing from one of the two independent accounts we have (taking Matthew and Luke as dependent on Mark) as a point in favour of it being historical rather than a point against it.

Why? The point was that it was embarrassing for the church. It is a suprise, in a way, that we find it in any gospel, for the reasons quoted above. That John, perhaps the most likely of any gospel author to "innovate" would have left this event out, even if he had access to it, is not suprising.

Also, it is not necessarily true that Matthew and Luke are dependent on Mark. Some of their material may have come from Q, as there exist agreements between them, over and against Mark (the use of the verb/inf. eneochthesan/aneochthenai in Matt/Lk, instead of schizomenous, both add to Mark's simple "spirit," and both state that the spirit descended ep' auton/upon him rather than eis auton/in him). The argument for independence here is slight, but it must be remembered that the reason for arguing for the existence of Q or Matthew and Luke's dependence on Mark is the extremely close matches in material. The fact that Matthew and Luke agree in areas against Mark, even in so few, makes independence possible, if not by any means certain.

Meier and Goguel also argue that the evidence points to the Johannine tradition showing an awareness of the baptism, and deliberately leaving it out. Again, the evidence is tenous.

I think it's a fair assumption that if the incident were mentioned in John, you'd take the agreement between the Gospels as evidence that the incident was historical as well. Is there any arrangement that wouldn't be considered support for historicity?

What you are saying is true in a sense, but it is not simply that John left it out, but that it appears he left it out deliberately (see above). As for the other question, there are plenty of such arrangements. If an event is laden with heavy christology, for example, it is more likely to be an invention of the church.

- when do you think that Mark was written

c. 69-75
- where do you think that Mark was written? Do you have any particular reason to think it was written in the geographic vicinity of followers of John the Baptist?

M. Hengel (in Stuhmacher (ed.), "Gospels" 229-43) that the tradition that Mark really was by John Mark (Peter's interpreter), written in Rome. Gerd Theissen and Annette Merz argue, on the basis of the "Palistinian Jesus tradition" and "pre-Pauline Hellenistic traditions" that Syria is most likely for a place of composition. And it goes on.

All of it is somewhat irrelevent, as the evidence that the gospel authors had to deal with competitors who supported John is in the Gospels themselves. See, for example, Wink's book "John the Baptist" "Polemic and apologetic directed at contemporary 'disciples of John' clearly seems to be present..." (104).

Not sure what you mean here; which strains are you referring to?

Interactions and familiarity between Jesus and John are attested to by Q, Mark, and John.

I really don't see how this helps to establish historicity. Even a fictional story builds its plot somehow.
Again, it is when you put it all together that it starts adding up to "historical"

My problem with all this is that the bible is not an ordinary historical source nor was it intended to be.

This is not entirely true. As I have already mentioned, several scholar's have argued persuasively (see previous posts for citations) that the gospels are a type of ancient biography known as "lives." As for the Old Testament, it is also not entirely accurate to say that "it is not a historical source nor was it intended to be." Take, for example, Fowler's comment on the greek historian Herodotus: "As Eduard Meyer noted many years ago: in our Western world, genuine historical literature had a wholly independent origin only among the Greeks and the Hebrews (Geschicte des Altertums, II (1910) 131). We cannot trace the early development of this type of literature or branch of science so adequately among the Greeks as in Israel, yet it seems safe to say that the development among the Hebrews was considerably earlier, both absolutely, in date, and relatively to other departments of literature. If that is the case, Herodotus's proud title as the "Father of History" seems very questionable." (Fowler, Henry Thatcher. "Herodotus and the Early Hebrew Historians." Journal of Biblical Literature 49.3 (1930): 207-217).
In other words, the various books in the OT fit VERY WELL into the genre of ancient history, and they were certainly intended to be taken as such. The fact that much of it is inaccurate does not lessen this; as I have been saying such a statement is true for ALL of ancient history.

Last edited:

Oberon

The divinity of the supposed Jesus, of course, is quite unprovable, and belongs in the realm of mythology of all god-man myths, which brings up the point as to what Jesus are Christian scholars trying to prove really existed, a prophet, a teacher, a madman, a rabbi, or something else?

Should I take it then that you have no response to my comments about the irrelevent nature of your last two "citations," and also no citations of actual TEXTS themselves from the ancient world from which you can show the gospels copied, or at least copied the tradition within those texts? And please, no more citing from websites, or refering to a text like the "Book of the Dead" without being able to point to SPECIFIC aspects of the text which were incorporated into the Jesus tradition.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
That is an arrogant and woefully ignorant comment.

Jay what the hell is wrong with you? Didn't your mother ever teach you that if you dont have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. All you do is bully other members and attack their opinions when you don't agree. Grow up, and show some respect for people who don't agree with you please.