• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jesus a Mythical Character?

Oberon

You would be wasting your time. There is simply no effective way to argue against a willfully ignorant dogmatist.

I am wasting my time only if I am doing it to convince dogsgod. The very fact that he hasn't done any research, but only looked for sensationalist sites to back up his preconceptions, makes any argument against those preconceptions useless.

However, I continue to ask him to present scholarly sources to back up his views, and not to continue to misrepresent the only two scholars he has provided, for the sake of others reading the thread. I wouldn't want anyone reading the thread to think that there is any possibility of actual research behind his bogus claims.

logician

This was probably stated before but I am not reading all 50 some odd pages to find out. But your missing the point of why Jesus came here. Not to heal a few wretches of physical ailments, even though it is said that he did. He came here to protect our souls from damnation and to heal us spiritually.

Protect whose souls from damnation? Many billions of people throughout history never heard of such a man, the idea of this being a "my-way-or-the-highway+religion" is what turns so many off to Christianity.

Plus the fact I don't need saving from anything.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Protect whose souls from damnation? Many billions of people throughout history never heard of such a man, the idea of this being a "my-way-or-the-highway+religion" is what turns so many off to Christianity.

Plus the fact I don't need saving from anything.

If you don't agree with this fine. But you asked for the answer and here it is.

To protect every one's soul who has lived since Christ was born and died. Before Christ there was no such thing as repentance. If you was a good person you got to live eternally in heaven, if you was a "bad" person you was judged to hell. So yes at one time is was a my way or the highway religion.

But when Christ came and died for our sins. It gave us the ability to repent our sins (thus giving us control of our fate and erasing your sins from the book of life) so long as we accepted Christ as our lord and saviour. Like I said before the Old Testament days was brutal, both physically and spiritually. That is one of the reasons Christ is so important.

Also just a quick question. Do you see yourself as perfect being? I seriously doubt you do. Being saved just and repenting is how you make up for some of the mistakes you have made in life. And since your not perfect you have made mistakes undoubtedly.

logician

If you don't agree with this fine. But you asked for the answer and here it is.

To protect every one's soul who has lived since Christ was born and died. Before Christ there was no such thing as repentance. If you was a good person you got to live eternally in heaven, if you was a "bad" person you was judged to hell. So yes at one time is was a my way or the highway religion.

But when Christ came and died for our sins. It gave us the ability to repent our sins (thus giving us control of our fate and erasing your sins from the book of life) so long as we accepted Christ as our lord and saviour. Like I said before the Old Testament days was brutal, both physically and spiritually. That is one of the reasons Christ is so important.

Also just a quick question. Do you see yourself as perfect being? I seriously doubt you do. Being saved just and repenting is how you make up for some of the mistakes you have made in life. And since your not perfect you have made mistakes undoubtedly.

This whole post is basically illogical, you're relegating the chance for redemption to a select few who happened to be in the right place at the right time - if god exists, it could not be this illogical.

Enoch07

Premium Member
This whole post is basically illogical, you're relegating the chance for redemption to a select few who happened to be in the right place at the right time - if god exists, it could not be this illogical.

What are you talking about. Select few? Everyone that has lived in the past 2000 years is a select few??

Oberon

What are you talking about. Select few? Everyone that has lived in the past 2000 years is a select few??
I think this is taking away from the purpose of the thread, which is not to argue the purpose behind Jesus' mission or Christianity, but whether or not Jesus was historical at all. It has been very clearly established that he was, and the only two people who have consistently denied this (logician and dogsgod) have yet to produce anything other than poorly informed websites (and dogsogd's misrepresentation of the only two scholars he cites) to support their views..

Enoch07

Premium Member
I think this is taking away from the purpose of the thread, which is not to argue the purpose behind Jesus' mission or Christianity, but whether or not Jesus was historical at all. It has been very clearly established that he was, and the only two people who have consistently denied this (logician and dogsgod) have yet to produce anything other than poorly informed websites (and dogsogd's misrepresentation of the only two scholars he cites) to support their views..

Sorry for the de-rail. :sorry1: Back to the original topic. :angel2:

logician

Everyone who has lived the past 2000 years has not heard of a supposed Jesus.

Billions haven't, and certainly many who have were not culturaly brought up to accept this belief.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Sigh this is where you are mis-informed. Everyone when they die goes to heaven to be judged. If you were bad you go to hell if you were good you are allowed into the gates. I cannot think of a more simple way to put it. It is more complicated than that but even a a 5 year old can understand this.

Tristesse

Sigh this is where you are mis-informed. Everyone when they die goes to heaven to be judged. If you were bad you go to hell if you were good you are allowed into the gates. I cannot think of a more simple way to put it. It is more complicated than that but even a a 5 year old can understand this.

yes, and it almost seems like a 5 year old came up with it. I don't understand how a part of me lives on, when my brain has shut down, and died.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Wow is that the best you can come up with? I expect a bit more if your gonna troll like that sorry.

Tristesse

Wow is that the best you can come up with? I expect a bit more if your gonna troll like that sorry.

I'm going to assume your taking to me, but I'm not sure. And I'm not sure what "troll like that" means. I wasn't trying to impress you by my statement, I was simply stating, that I find it hard to believe that something of me lives on when I'm dead, because I have no reason to think thats the case. In fact, I do have reason to think that that isn't the case. I was just throwing my two cents in there.

Enoch07

Premium Member
This is utterly incorrect. There are still some tribes who know nothing of your Jesus and cling to (their) tribal traditions.

And so I repeat myself for the 1,000 time. EVERYONE goes to heaven to wait to be judged by God. Doesn't matter if you heard of Jesus or not.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I think this is taking away from the purpose of the thread, which is not to argue the purpose behind Jesus' mission or Christianity, but whether or not Jesus was historical at all.

True. We should move away from that. None of that is important to this thread.

It has been very clearly established that he was,

It has been established that some "believe" he existed.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
And so I repeat myself for the 1,000 time. EVERYONE goes to heaven to wait to be judged by God. Doesn't matter if you heard of Jesus or not.

This is YOUR BELIEF.......not "EVERYONE's"

Not "everyone" believes what you do. Just because YOU BELIEVE EVERYONE will be judged by your god means VERY LITTLE.....

Enoch07

Premium Member
This is YOUR BELIEF.......not "EVERYONE's"

Not "everyone" believes what you do. Just because YOU BELIEVE EVERYONE will be judged by your god means VERY LITTLE.....

You cannot come to me and preach about they haven't heard of Jesus then cop out with the non believing crap. You asked for a Christians view and I gave it to you. Don't ask for a Christian view and then try to deny it on the whole because you don't believe it. If you want to hear an answer you will believe ask the appropriate person.

Oberon

It has been established that some "believe" he existed.

It has been established that as far as we can be "certain" of anything in ancient history, Jesus existed. There is no better explanation for the sources, and the evidence is overwhelmingly in favor of his existence. Anyone who has taken the time to research this at even a moderate level (let alone in depth) would acknowledge that. From your comments I know that you haven't read a whole lot on the topic, which is fine, because you also aren't pushing uninformed opinions (as logician and dogsgod are) as if you have. If you don't believe Jesus existed, that's certainly up to you, especially if you aren't interested enough to research the topic. Just know that the evidence for his existence is overwhelming enough that EVERY historian studying that period believes he did.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
You cannot come to me and preach about they haven't heard of Jesus then cop out with the non believing crap.

First of all you need to calm yourself. If anyone is preaching it is you. You joined this particular thread without a clue as to what we were talking about. The principals, teachings of the biblical Jesus is not and was not in question. You state, as if you know for a fact, that EVERYONE had heard of your Jesus and if they haven't then they will still be judge by your god. This is simply UNTRUE.....because if EITHER were true then you should produce your proof. You make the claim then you back it up with some facts.

You asked for a Christians view and I gave it to you.

Please don't do that ever again because I did not...NOT EVER...ask for a "christians view".....

Don't ask for a Christian view and then try to deny it on the whole because you don't believe it.

But that's just it...I NEVER asked...I replied to a comment or comments you made....

If you want to hear an answer you will believe ask the appropriate person.

:slap:........