• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jesus an avatar of Lord Vishnu?

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
@Zenzero

You and I both already know what Sanatan Dharma is, it's the whole reason we're talking in this forum. i do not feel the need to explain myself to you. However I will see this - I have noticed that you are a universalist and would just like to remind you that not everyone here is.

I personally don't believe that the God(s) of the Abrahamic belief systems is the same God that I adore. I do not think the Christian, Jewish or Islamic paths lead to moksha and if I were to sit down with an evangelical preacher and have dinner it would be a disaster because I would not be able to say 'all is one'. I would not be able to say 'we are just on different paths'. I know we are on different paths and they are vastly, dramatically out of sync. One path teaches liberation while the other teaches bondage.

Also, simply because you might believe Jesus to be an avatar of Visnu does not mean that I must. As I've stated before, I don't even find the Bhagavad Gita sacred but I respect and appreciate the views of those who do.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I kind of wanted to reply to that post ^

But I think I might be too much of a Universalizer :D

A quick comment.... what is portrayed as 'Mainstream' Christianity leaves me at odds with my own Roots.

The way I experience the Christian Path is not 'Mainstream', I guess.....

But I'll blame that on my adventures and personal experiences with the Sanatan Dharma ;)

:namaste

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend DK,

Since have an empty cup wanted to have some tea but somehow the host is no mood for serving tea here!
Have a gr8 day!

Love & rgds

Me Myself

Back to my username
I kind of wanted to reply to that post ^

But I think I might be too much of a Universalizer :D

A quick comment.... what is portrayed as 'Mainstream' Christianity leaves me at odds with my own Roots.

The way I experience the Christian Path is not 'Mainstream', I guess.....

But I'll blame that on my adventures and personal experiences with the Sanatan Dharma ;)

This :D

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
@zenzero - I don't drink tea. It often throws people off. Sanatan dharma means different things for different people but the basic translation is the Eternal Law, although dharma can be translated to mean path or way as well.

@Me Myself & SageTree - I don't mind universalism. It has its place and at one point I was almost a universalist myself but I feel there are paths for a reason and to ignore them by trying to make everything the same is a dire mistake. Therefore I reject universalist doctrines and instead walk a more sectarian path.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
@Zenzero

You and I both already know what Sanatan Dharma is, it's the whole reason we're talking in this forum. i do not feel the need to explain myself to you. However I will see this - I have noticed that you are a universalist and would just like to remind you that not everyone here is.

I personally don't believe that the God(s) of the Abrahamic belief systems is the same God that I adore. I do not think the Christian, Jewish or Islamic paths lead to moksha and if I were to sit down with an evangelical preacher and have dinner it would be a disaster because I would not be able to say 'all is one'. I would not be able to say 'we are just on different paths'. I know we are on different paths and they are vastly, dramatically out of sync. One path teaches liberation while the other teaches bondage.

Also, simply because you might believe Jesus to be an avatar of Visnu does not mean that I must. As I've stated before, I don't even find the Bhagavad Gita sacred but I respect and appreciate the views of those who do.

Excellent wisdom.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
@Me Myself & SageTree - I don't mind universalism. It has its place and at one point I was almost a universalist myself but I feel there are paths for a reason and to ignore them by trying to make everything the same is a dire mistake. Therefore I reject universalist doctrines and instead walk a more sectarian path.

Univeralist doctrine.... links?

:D I can't say I know or follow any of them myself :D

Sorry it didn't work out and was a dire mistake for you, in your opinion.

I'm glad we all think differently.... thanks for sharing yourself with us.

:)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
You (plural) know what... ?

Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and what they feel in their hearts. No one can prove Jesus is or is not an avatar of God; no one can prove Jesus did or did not exist. If you think and feel Jesus is or is not an avatar of God, go for it. Maybe Jesus was sent by God, maybe he wasn't. Maybe the Buddha is an avatar of God, maybe he isn't. Maybe Quan yin is a form of Devi, maybe she is not. Who gives a rat's *** if you believe it. If you want to believe it, believe it; if you don't, then don't. It's really a no-brainer.

Sanatana Dharma is supposed to be accepting of all beliefs, which makes it kind of universalist if you consider the Rig Veda verse in my signature. Even Smartas feel that non-Vedic deities are fine to worship for followers of those deities, just not for them.

I personally prefer the Hindu "way" and view of God, but that's me. But who am I to limit God on whom He wants to send to us? Not even the rishis and acharyas can agree on anything.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and what they feel in their hearts. No one can prove Jesus is or is not an avatar of God; no one can prove Jesus did or did not exist. If you think and feel Jesus is or is not an avatar of God, go for it. Maybe Jesus was sent by God, maybe he wasn't. Maybe the Buddha is an avatar of God, maybe he isn't. Maybe Quan yin is a form of Devi, maybe she is not. Who gives a rat's *** if you believe it. If you want to believe it, believe it; if you don't, then don't. It's really a no-brainer.

I personally prefer the Hindu "way" and view of God, but that's me. But who am I to limit God on whom He wants to send to us? Not even the rishis and acharyas can agree on anything.

I totally agree with this. I only run into problems with universalism when the universalist says universalism is the only way, thereby contradicting his very own universalist intent to accept all, but not seeing it that way ... for whatever reason I don't know. Makes you wonder some days on the whole idea of tolerance.

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
Univeralist doctrine.... links?

:D I can't say I know or follow any of them myself :D

Sorry it didn't work out and was a dire mistake for you, in your opinion.

I'm glad we all think differently.... thanks for sharing yourself with us.

:)

Of course it's only my opinion :), if I could speak for you I'd have to have acquired some wonderful siddhis don't you think? Everythin written here s only personal opinion.

I, personally, don't like universalism. As I've stated I believe there are paths for a reason. That said I think Yogananda Paramahamsa is very inspiring but he's talking from an extremely elevated position. I believe there is a point when 'everything is one' does apply but I'm a long way from teaching it as yet and so can't speak from it. But that's still different to universalism in my opinion.

Sanatana Dharma is supposed to be accepting of all beliefs, which makes it kind of universalist if you consider the Rig Veda verse in my signature. Even Smartas feel that non-Vedic deities are fine to worship for followers of those deities, just not for them.

The Rig Veda quote in your sig reminds me of two like-minded quotes:

"The lamps are different, but the Light is the same." ~ Rumi

"God works in different ways, but it is the same God who does the work in all of us." ~ 1 Corinthians 12:6

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I only run into problems with universalism when the universalist says universalism is the only way, thereby contradicting his very own universalist intent to accept all, but not seeing it that way ...

Agreed. :yes: It's a little bit more than hypocritical, I'd say.

Oh, and in the spirit of total honesty, it was the intolerance at another site, which I have since backed away from, that prompted my little outburst. :eek:

Last edited:

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Of course it's only my opinion :), if I could speak for you I'd have to have acquired some wonderful siddhis don't you think? Everythin written here s only personal opinion.

I, personally, don't like universalism. As I've stated I believe there are paths for a reason. That said I think Yogananda Paramahamsa is very inspiring but he's talking from an extremely elevated position. I believe there is a point when 'everything is one' does apply but I'm a long way from teaching it as yet and so can't speak from it. But that's still different to universalism in my opinion.

Thanks for the kind honest words my Friend.
So often people speak in absolute and unshakable authority here.... sometimes I get caught up in that generalization and forget we are all individuals.
I too speak for myself and the personal understandings that I encounter and I'm glad you feel the same.

SageTree

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
Thanks for the kind honest words my Friend.
So often people speak in absolute and unshakable authority here.... sometimes I get caught up in that generalization and forget we are all individuals.
I too speak for myself and the personal understandings that I encounter and I'm glad you feel the same.

SageTree

Sometimes I want to speak in absolutes but then I remember 'everything is subjective'. I can only speak in absolutes for myself and even then things change. The beauty of Hinduism (yes, zenzero, I'm calling it that) is that it flows. It allows for change. Hell, you can even go between gurus! Your initiating guru is not always the same as the one you follow for much of your life and you may outgrow several gurus.

jg22

Is Jesus an avatar of Lord Vishnu?

No.

He taught common sense ethics and eschatology, not spiritual enlightenment. Highly overrated.

Read the Brihadaaranyaka Upanishad; Yajnavalkya is a superior teacher of wisdom.