• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jesus an avatar of Lord Vishnu?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
...to make his teaching more credible. This is true for all Gurus in India; their biographies (hagiographies actually) are full of miracles.

Ghost writers abound in the ancient world. The gospels of Matthew, Mark, et al. were most likely not written by those men. Nor was Revelations written by John the Evangelist. Especially considering the documents post-date their "authors" by 70-100 years.

Ghost writers used the names of more well-known persons to lend credibility to the writings. You know, hey, Matthew ate b'fast, lunch and supper with Jesus so he knew Jesus intimately enough to write his life story.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Exactly.

Avatars in India are a dime a dozen. Every successful Guru, becomes an avatar at some point.

lol ... well not quite every Guru, but I get the point. Then again, what is success? Fame? Hardly. Finding Brahman within oneself? More likely. :)

kaisersose

lol ... well not quite every Guru, but I get the point. Then again, what is success? Fame? Hardly. Finding Brahman within oneself? More likely. :)

By success, I mean gathering a following. In many cases, the Guru was not interested or did not consider himself an avatar. The followers made him an avatar.

For example, Shankara became an avatar of Shiva, Madhva called himself an avatar of Vayu (they believe Vishnu does not incarnate during Kali-yuga), some of Ramana's followers believed he was an avatar of Subramanya, Chaitanya is believed to be an avatar of Krishna (who himself is an avatar) by his followers. There is Swami Narayan, Sai Baba...the list goes on.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
For example, Shankara became an avatar of Shiva, Madhva called himself an avatar of Vayu (they believe Vishnu does not incarnate during Kali-yuga)...

Just as an aside, isn't Kalki predicted to come to bring and end to Kali Yuga? In that case He must appear during Kali Yuga, no? Maybe just semantics, but... well, carry on. :eek:

They did not "fall". It is just that people are better informed
Better informed?
So your saying the reason the world doesn't look like the Vedic times means that we're "more informed" Sorry but that statement is quite ignorant, because infact the ancients were better "informed" than we are.
Which allowed them to be able build Pyramids and structures not even cranes today can lift.
Allowed them to make iron rods that lasts for thousands of years? And food that virtually can't spoil?
We are in the most IGNORANT Time ever.
The Bible says it and so does the Vedic scripture. In the end of Kali Yuga and the End times the world is at it's lowest point ever and highest in ignorance!
The vedic people knew about stars and planets.
The Mayans knew about solar systems and planets. Yetstill it takes our PATHETIC so long just to figure out that the world which we live on is ROUND?

The aincients had vast knowledge that we would never be able to comprehend in this time as long as we stay ignorant to logic..

History repeats itself.. The Mahabarata war was faught with vehicles and weapons far superior to our own military force today. In that time they had Vimanas "Fighter planes" that could fly to space and back. The reason it was so hard to comprehend the scale of the Mahabarata war in the book is because they wiped there self out with Atomic bombs, yes they had atomic bombs back then.

" "Gurkha, flying a swift and powerful vimana (fast aircraft)
hurled a single projectile (rocket) charged with the power
of the Universe (nuclear device). An incandescent column of
smoke and flame, as bright as ten thousand suns, rose with
all its splendor."

Saying our civilization is the most advanced in all history is PURE IGNORANCE.

[youtube]oIL4ts5bEOI[/youtube]
JESUS "Vaishnava" - YouTube

Ohe Vaishnava thakura! Doyara sagara, ei dase koruna kori...

O venerable pure devotee of the Lord. O Ocean of Mercy, be merciful unto your servant. Give me the shade of your lotus feet and purify me. I hold on to your lotus feet.

Teach me to control my six passions; rectify my six faults, bestow upon me the six qualities, and offer unto me the six kinds of holy association.

I do not find the strength to carry on alone the calling of the sacred Name of Jehovah. Please bless me by giving me just one drop of faith with which to obtain the great treasure of the sacred name of Jehovah.

Jehovah is yours. You have the power to give Him to me. I am simply your servant running behind you shouting, "Jehovah! Jehovah!"

>:')

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Better informed?
So your saying the reason the world doesn't look like the Vedic times means that we're "more informed" Sorry but that statement is quite ignorant, because infact the ancients were better "informed" than we are.
Which allowed them to be able build Pyramids and structures not even cranes today can lift.
Allowed them to make iron rods that lasts for thousands of years? And food that virtually can't spoil?
We are in the most IGNORANT Time ever.
The Bible says it and so does the Vedic scripture. In the end of Kali Yuga and the End times the world is at it's lowest point ever and highest in ignorance!
The vedic people knew about stars and planets.
The Mayans knew about solar systems and planets. Yetstill it takes our PATHETIC so long just to figure out that the world which we live on is ROUND?

The aincients had vast knowledge that we would never be able to comprehend in this time as long as we stay ignorant to logic..

History repeats itself.. The Mahabarata war was faught with vehicles and weapons far superior to our own military force today. In that time they had Vimanas "Fighter planes" that could fly to space and back. The reason it was so hard to comprehend the scale of the Mahabarata war in the book is because they wiped there self out with Atomic bombs, yes they had atomic bombs back then.

" "Gurkha, flying a swift and powerful vimana (fast aircraft)
all its splendor."

Saying our civilization is the most advanced in all history is PURE IGNORANCE.

How do you know all those are actual historical fact and not the science-fiction/fantasy of the day?

How do you know all those are actual historical fact and not the science-fiction/fantasy of the day?

..What?
The Mahabarata was written long before anyone knew what an Atomic bomb was. That verse was actually quoted by an Army vet when the bomb was dropped on Hyroshima.

There's archeological proof that this happened, there's carbon dating.
Remember the atomic bombs were created not too long ago. And the Mahabarata has been around for melennias before this.

THEN HOW WOULD THAT BE SCIENCE FICTION. IT'S CLEAR WHAT THEY ARE SAYING.
"Gurkha, flying a swift and powerful vimana (fast aircraft)
all its splendor.

It was an unknown weapon, an iron thunderbolt, a gigantic
messenger of death, which reduced to ashes the entire race
of the Vrishnis and the Andhakas.

The corpses were so burned as to be unrecognizable.
Hair and nails fell out; Pottery broke without apparent cause,
and the birds turned white.

...After a few hours all foodstuffs were infected...
...to escape from this fire the soldiers threw
themselves in streams to wash themselves and their
equipment."
It won't get any clearer than that.
If it's a simple STORY from the mind of someone then this book should be labled a book of prohecy because it discribed our modern day weapons better than the Revelation in the bible.

Let me go into the ignorant mindset and actually believe that this was impossible thousands of years ago... then, how could this be written? In this detail. What could are you trying to say, Gurkha rode a piece of stone in the sky and threw a rock and it blew up and wiped out a civilization? C'mon man.
And once again if this is science fiction then how could one even think of such thing back then with there "Primitize minds." -_-.

Ohe Vaishnava thakura! Doyara sagara, ei dase koruna kori...

O venerable pure devotee of the Lord. O Ocean of Mercy, be merciful unto your servant. Give me the shade of your lotus feet and purify me. I hold on to your lotus feet.

Teach me to control my six passions; rectify my six faults, bestow upon me the six qualities, and offer unto me the six kinds of holy association.

I do not find the strength to carry on alone the calling of the sacred Name of Jehovah. Please bless me by giving me just one drop of faith with which to obtain the great treasure of the sacred name of Jehovah.

Jehovah is yours. You have the power to give Him to me. I am simply your servant running behind you shouting, "Jehovah! Jehovah!"

Hare Krsna!!!
All Glories to the most high Jehovah, and the Personalities of the Trinity, Krishna, Yeshua..
Hari Bol

Riverwolf

Premium Member
..What?
The Mahabarata was written long before anyone knew what an Atomic bomb was. That verse was actually quoted by an Army vet when the bomb was dropped on Hyroshima.

There's archeological proof that this happened, there's carbon dating.
Remember the atomic bombs were created not too long ago. And the Mahabarata has been around for melennias before this.

THEN HOW WOULD THAT BE SCIENCE FICTION. IT'S CLEAR WHAT THEY ARE SAYING.
"Gurkha, flying a swift and powerful vimana (fast aircraft)
all its splendor.

It was an unknown weapon, an iron thunderbolt, a gigantic
messenger of death, which reduced to ashes the entire race
of the Vrishnis and the Andhakas.

The corpses were so burned as to be unrecognizable.
Hair and nails fell out; Pottery broke without apparent cause,
and the birds turned white.

...After a few hours all foodstuffs were infected...
...to escape from this fire the soldiers threw
themselves in streams to wash themselves and their
equipment."
It won't get any clearer than that.
If it's a simple STORY from the mind of someone then this book should be labled a book of prohecy because it discribed our modern day weapons better than the Revelation in the bible.

Let me go into the ignorant mindset and actually believe that this was impossible thousands of years ago... then, how could this be written? In this detail. What could are you trying to say, Gurkha rode a piece of stone in the sky and threw a rock and it blew up and wiped out a civilization? C'mon man.
And once again if this is science fiction then how could one even think of such thing back then with there "Primitize minds." -_-.

1. Could you tell me where exactly this passage occurs in the text, so I can check it myself?
2. I never said that these people were primitive. I don't believe that at all. They were just as intelligent and creative as we are today.
3. You can't just cite "carbon dating" and "archaeology" as proof. It's too vague. You have to actually give reliable (i.e., peer-reviewed) sources.

What I'm saying is that the human imagination is boundless. There are other things that can cause great civilizations to fall in large columns of fire and smoke, such as meteorites. Perhaps the verse is speaking of such an occurrence.

Last edited:

Many Sages One Truth

Just thought that I would mention that I do indeed believe that Jesus is an avatar of Lord Vishnu. I believe that Lord Vishnu, as sustainer, is the facet of God that comes down for us men and our good. I believe not only Jesus is his avatar, but also Buddha, Krishna, Rama, etc. and maybe even some we don't know about.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
What I'm saying is that the human imagination is boundless. There are other things that can cause great civilizations to fall in large columns of fire and smoke, such as meteorites. Perhaps the verse is speaking of such an occurrence.

And then there's always metaphor, embellishment, exaggeration and imaginative storytelling to convey a moral.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, to which I was going to add in my post that I wonder 5,000 years from now what morals will people derive from the stories of our times, whether fictional or factual.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
It would be interesting to see how people 5,000 years from now would react to our Superheroes.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
How do people today react to our superheroes? :facepalm: And 5,000 years from now!? :eek:

:D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'll bet future archaeologists will search for the location of Rivendell and the remains of Minas Tirith. :yes:

Wait, what were we talking about? :shrug:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Why is this thread in the Hinduism DIR section, and not in the Christian DIR section as well? Just pondering away here ... nuthin very serious.