• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jesus portrayed in the Gospels as Anti-Torah?

Ehav4Ever

Biggest problem to me about that claim is, why would someone do that about a person who actually "didn't do or say anything special"?
The same reasons that people follow cults. Also, when one takes into account There are numerous sitautions where people who follow people who don't say anything really special. There are also people who follow leaders who make claims about end time events happening that never take place. Many of them have followers who will follow them until the failure of the predictions and beyond.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
No John 8. Jesus here is quoted speaking about me and my father which is Satan the father of lies.

44 ( NIV ): You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.Jesus asserts there at least 2 different Fathers. Those who oppose him come from a different, another, a 2nd God.

Jesus is very clearly anti-Torah in the book of John.

This one? He is "off-derech". Off the path/way.
I grasp what you're saying about this, and you are relying upon one of the common misconceptions about this passage. I admit protestant commentaries, sermons and other places agree with you. I do not think you understand this passage in John 8. Rather than accusing Jews of being Satan or children of Satan, John's whole theme is that the spirit does not need to pass from teacher to student (the theme he sets up in chapters 1-3). He is saying that the time-honored tradition of teaching can kill. This is his argument to invalidate it. John does not call the Pharisees children of Satan. The word he uses is not 'Satan' but 'Devil' and would be better left untranslated as the Koine term. He accuses their tradition of overreach. This is consistent with opinions Jesus puts forward that tradition can kill. I think he views traditional method as suspicious.

Brick, my position is scriptural. With Ehav's help I brought specific examples from the Gospels to explain and support my position. You brought principles, one of which is not just false, but it's a deal breaker of Gaussian proportions. John 8, the implications of those hateful, angry words cannot be over-stated. The book of John is the most favored for a reason. It is the least Jewish and the most Pagan.

I would be happy to continue this discussion omitting the book of John, if you wish. Then, I respectfully request that you pick one of the other examples that I brought and we discuss that in detail.

Too often my conversations with individual on RF are superficial and shallow. I strongly believe this is because my conversation partner knows that once the details are included, their position evaporates. I am not interested in a shallow superficial conversation with you. I have already shown there are faults in the axioms you brought. I think we should skip those and look at scripture. Why? That's what's written in the Torah:
Too many examples, such that I am having to pick one or two. You're both impressively studious, and that's great. Yes, I will pick a different example.

Consider the passage (example #3) where Jesus causes a fig tree to die by speaking to it -- ruining the tree for not having figs out of season. Food trees have an intrinsic value, because they produce food not just for the landowners but for the poor. How can Jesus condemn this tree? It appears he is not keeping the law doesn't it; but what actually happens is that his words are a prayer and God kills the tree. Jesus never touches it, and so we have to inquire as to why he prays against it. This becomes plain from one of the accounts which is in Mark 11:22. The disciples remark to Jesus that the tree has withered from the roots, to which he replies "Have faith in God." In other words God kills the tree not him. The reasons for his prayer are probably literary.

and next I'll pick the 8th example about Jesus' comments on divorce.

'Matthew 19:8-9' has been widely abused, misconstrued and has been at the heart of some suffering. What's the difference between condemning the passage versus correcting the misinterpretations of it? I have my reasons for trying to fix rather than to condemn it as if it were the creature people suppose that it is. The question is does Jesus say here that divorce is illegal. No. What he says is that adultery in the heart causes it. That is an interpretation of the law.

My position is, Jesus is described in the gospels as either ignorant of the Torah or that his priorities do not include the Torah. Because of this, he doesn't care if people break the Torah. He encourages them to do so and role models the anti-Torah behavior himself.

Joshua Son of Nun writes:
1:8 This book of the Torah shall not leave your mouth; you shall meditate therein day and night, in order that you observe to do all that is written in it, for then will you succeed in all your ways and then will you prosper.
I take seriously your position as you have convinced me that you follow the law of Moses as closely as you are able, perhaps perfectly.

The keyword, Brick, in the above verse is ALL.
We are talking about Jesus and his disciples, not me. They do keep the laws. What they disagree with is the traditional teaching method of teacher to student. They make their offerings, their prayers, their kosher behaviors and all of the laws such as not picking up sticks or lighting fires on the 7th.

John D. Brey

To any and all reading this thread:

I am asking you:

Did Jesus succeed in all his ways?
Did Jesus prosper?

The same question could be asked about Israel as a nation. In the Tanakh, Israel is the apple of God's eye. They're the "chosen" ones. Israel is, as a nation, what Christ is, as an individual person. Israel will rule the nations. No weapon forged against them will succeed.

Those of us who accept Jesus as the Christ, and who acknowledge Israel as the apple of God's eye, are no more confounded by the disconnect between actual history versus the glories prophesied for Christ, than we are confused about the glories predicted for Israel, versus the diaspora, holocaust, etc.. Christ and Israel share a peculiar destiny filled with prophesies of glory and success, but littered with historical holocaust, persecution, and crucifixion.

I've no more lost my faith in the coming glories of the people of Israel than I have in the glories in store for Jesus of Nazareth my Lord and Savior. I walk by faith in the word of God, not by sight, or historicity.

John

The same reasons that people follow cults. Also, when one takes into account There are numerous sitautions where people who follow people who don't say anything really special. There are also people who follow leaders who make claims about end time events happening that never take place. Many of them have followers who will follow them until the failure of the predictions and beyond.
By what I have seen, people in cults follow someone who is real and has said something that is special to them. I don't know any cult that is formed by some unknown person around another person who didn't really say anything special.

No. You have departed from the text of the scripture. You're making excuses. And those excuses are not convincing for me. I doubt they will be convincing to any that are not already Christians. I suppose all that can be done at this point is deny it, right?
Jesus said in Matt. 8:22 "leave the dead to bury their own dead". How can that mean anything else than there being some people to do the job? I think that means the burial would be held and there would be no reason to worry about it.
...In addition to denial, you can introduce a contradiction....
I presume that you will choose option 3. If so, please state your case. I'll refrain from replying further so that we can focus on one scriptural example at a time.
Yes, option 3 is probably correct. However, I am not sure what do you mean with the contradiction, please explain first why do you think there is a contradiction between Luke 9 and Matthew 5?

Ehav4Ever

By what I have seen, people in cults follow someone who is real and has said something that is special to them. I don't know any cult that is formed by some unknown person around another person who didn't really say anything special.
You are correct, MOST cults follow someone who at one time lived and was claimed to have done things that they more than likely did not do. There are some cults that grow stronger when their leader dies, not fulfilling what they are claiming they would do. There are some cults that reamerge and make claims about their deceased leaders to a new generation of member who were not there to actually see for themselves what did and didn't happen.

Here is an example of a cult that started from preson who didn't do or say anything special.

Ehav4Ever

When Messiah comes, he will be born of an actual virgin birth, no fathering-organ in his conception, and he will be truly sacrificed (aka God's Akedah: the crucifixion).
Just so everyone is clear, the above is not an idea or concept held by Torah based Jews. I.e. the above comment isn't found among Mizrahi Jews, Sephardic Jews, Yemenite Jews, Hasidic Jews, Ethiopian Jews, Asian Jews, North Africna Jews, or Hereidi Jews.

Ehav4Ever

So, allegedly there is even more writings about Jesus, which in other cases would make the person even more believable.
Do you think there is some contradiction between those writings and the ones picked in the Bible?
Yes, there were definately more writings by followers of some of the Christian concepts and numerous variations. None of them are valid for Torah based Jews though. Here are a few examples and dome descriptions I found about them:
  1. The Gospel of Judas - The content consists of conversations between Jesus and Judas Iscariot. Given that it includes late 2nd-century theology, it is widely thought to have been composed in the 2nd century (prior to 180 CE) by Gnostic Christians. The only copy of it known to exist is a Coptic language text that has been carbon dated to 280 CE, plus or minus 60 years. It has been suggested that the text derives from an earlier manuscript in the Greek language.
    • The Gospel of Judas consists of 16 chapters which document Jesus' teaching about spiritual matters and cosmology. According to the text, Judas is the only one of Jesus' disciples who accurately understands the words of his master. This Gospel contains few narrative elements; essentially, the Gospel records how Judas was taught by Jesus the true meaning of his message.
  2. The Gospel of Thomas -is an extra-canonical sayings gospel. It was discovered near Nag Hammadi, Egypt, in 1945 among a group of books known as the Nag Hammadi library. Scholars speculate the works were buried in response to a letter from Bishop Athanasius declaring a strict canon of Christian scripture. Scholars have proposed dates of composition as early as 60 AD and late as 250 AD. Many scholars have seen it as evidence of the existence of a "Q source" which might have been similar in its form as a collection of sayings of Jesus, without any accounts of his deeds or his life and death, referred to as a sayings gospel.
    • The Gospel of Thomas is very different in tone and structure from other New Testament apocrypha and the four canonical Gospels. Unlike the canonical Gospels, it is not a narrative account Jesus' life; instead, it consists of logia (sayings) attributed to Jesus, sometimes stand-alone, sometimes embedded in short dialogues or parables; 13 of its 16 parables are also found in the Synoptic Gospels. The text contains a possible allusion to the death of Jesus in logion 65 (Parable of the Wicked Husbandmen), but does not mention his crucifixion, his resurrection, or the Last Judgment; nor does it mention a messianic understanding of Jesus.
  3. The Gospel of Mary - is an early Christian text discovered in 1896 in a fifth-century papyrus codex written in Sahidic Coptic. This Berlin Codex was purchased in Cairo by German diplomat Carl Reinhardt. Although the work is popularly known as the Gospel of Mary, it is not classed as a gospel by some scholars, who restrict the term 'gospel' to texts "primarily focused on recounting the teachings and/or activities of Jesus during his adult life".
    • As the narrative opens, Jesus is engaged in dialogue with his disciples, answering their questions on the nature of matter and the nature of sin. At the end of the discussion, Jesus departs, leaving the disciples distraught and anxious. According to the story, Mary speaks up with words of comfort and encouragement. Then Peter asks Mary to share with them any special teaching she received from the Jesus, “Peter said to Mary, ‘Sister, we know that the Savior loved you more than the rest of the women. Tell us the words of the Savior which you remember – which you know (but) we do not, nor have we heard them.’”
    • Some quotes from the text:
    • But Andrew answered and said to the brethren, "Say what you think concerning what she said. For I do not believe that the Savior said this. For certainly these teachings are of other ideas." Peter also opposed her in regard to these matters and asked them about Jesus. "Did he then speak secretly with a woman, in preference to us, and not openly? Are we to turn back and all listen to her? Did he prefer her to us?"
  4. A few honorable mentions:
    • The Gospel of Peter
    • Gospel of Marcion
    • Gospel of Basilides
    • Gospel of Truth (Valentinian) – mid-2nd century, departed from earlier Gnostic works by admitting and defending the physicality of Christ and his resurrection
    • etc.

Ehav4Ever

Biggest problem to me about that claim is, why would someone do that about a person who actually "didn't do or say anything special"?
Another reason is when the student of a particular charismatic individual thinks their leader is going to do some amazing, and when it doesn't happen some people can't let go - because they invested so much of their life to the movement - they try to create ways to get around the reality. Thus, there are people develop things like, "He told me in secret this would happen." There is also the famouse, "It is written that this would happen" or "this happened to fulfill the prophecy of......" Then there is also, "He will return and do that stuff later.....possibly next year." Near year comes and the, "No, he meant in a few years....." Then a few years pass it becomes, "It will happen sometime in the near, or distant, future. Just stay faithful....he will come back in this generation, or a later one."

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Jesus said in Matt. 8:22 "leave the dead to bury their own dead". How can that mean anything else than there being some people to do the job?

Anything else? That's a wide open question.

It means: "If you are living, you do not need to bury the dead."

Jesus is saying that the priority for that individual should be proclaiming the Kingdom of God if they are TRULY a living being. They are truly alive, if they're alive in both body and spirit. Jesus is saying: "You, sir, are truly alive in body and spirit because you are being drawn to the Son-Of-Man. Because of this, you're job, sir, is to proclaim the kingdom. Let those who are dead, in spirit, bury the dead in the flesh."

Either Jesus does not consistently care about the Torah or Jesus does not know the Torah. Either way he is anti-Torah because the Torah states that the words of the Torah should never leave Jesus' mouth day and night ( Joshua 1:8 ).

Make sense?

Ehav4Ever

Anything else? That's a wide open question.

It means: "If you are living, you do not need to bury the dead."

Jesus is saying that the priority for that individual should be proclaiming the Kingdom of God if they are TRULY a living being. They are truly alive, if they're alive in both body and spirit. Jesus is saying: "You, sir, are truly alive in body and spirit because you are being drawn to the Son-Of-Man. Because of this, you're job, sir, is to proclaim the kingdom. Let those who are dead, in spirit, bury the dead in the flesh."

Either Jesus does not consistently care about the Torah or Jesus does not know the Torah. Either way he is anti-Torah because the Torah states that the words of the Torah should never leave Jesus' mouth day and night ( Joshua 1:8 ).

Make sense?
I would even say that if the guy was telling Jesus he would follow him after burying his father then it would seem as if there was no one else to bury his father, including the dead. I would also say that if this story really did happen it was better that the young man went back home, buried his father, and continued with his family needs. For all we know two generations later his family was probably in a better situation for him not leaving his family w/o support.

Maybe another intreptation is that the historical Jesus, if this story did happen, was trying to save the guy's life. Maybe the historical Jesus knew that his positions would put him and others in danger with the Roman occupying government, thus a random guy says, "I will follow you after I bury my father." Maybe the historical Jesus, if this conversation was real, was trying to turn the guy away to save his life and his family by putting a baseline or goal post so high the guy would give up, leave Jesus alone, and then create a sitaution where only a small number of unsettled individuals would follow Jesus. Again, that is a theory I just came up with so I could be 100% right. ;)

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Yes, option 3 is probably correct.

Yes. And that is the challenge. Reconciling these two will be a challenge. A worthy pursuit. Rewarding.

However, I am not sure what do you mean with the contradiction, please explain first why do you think there is a contradiction between Luke 9 and Matthew 5?

Sure. In Matthew 5 Jesus makes a vow. A vow begins with: ἀμὴν.
Matthew 5:18​
ἀμὴν γὰρ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἕως ἂν παρέλθῃ ὁ οὐρανὸς καὶ ἡ γῆ, ἰῶτα ἓν ἢ μία κεραία οὐ μὴ παρέλθῃ ἀπὸ τοῦ νόμου ἕως ἂν πάντα γένηται.​
NWT:​
Truly I say to you that sooner would heaven and earth pass away than for one smallest letter or one stroke of a letter to pass away from the Law until all things take place​
please explain first why do you think there is a contradiction between Luke 9 and Matthew 5?

In Luke 9, Jesus is erasing letters of the Law. In Matthew 5 Jesus vows, ἀμὴν, that heaven and earth would pass away before that would happen. The law clearly states:

D'varim ( Deuteronomy ) 21:23​

לֹֽא־תָלִ֨ין נִבְלָת֜וֹ עַל־הָעֵ֗ץ כִּֽי־קָב֤וֹר תִּקְבְּרֶ֨נּוּ֙ בַּיּ֣וֹם הַה֔וּא כִּֽי־קִלְלַ֥ת אֱלֹהִ֖ים תָּל֑וּי וְלֹ֤א תְטַמֵּא֙ אֶת־אַדְמָ֣תְךָ֔ אֲשֶׁר֙ יְהֹוָ֣ה אֱלֹהֶ֔יךָ נֹתֵ֥ן לְךָ֖ נַֽחֲלָֽה
NWT:​
his dead body should not remain all night on the stake. Instead, you should be sure to bury him on that day, because the one hung up is something accursed of God, and you should not defile your land that Jehovah your God is giving you as an inheritance.​
The letters Jesus is erasing, in spite of his vow, are:
  1. קָב֤וֹר תִּקְבְּרֶ֨נּוּ֙ - literally "we shall surely bury" WE. Conjugated "nun-vav" suffix. "נּוּ֙" That's why WE bury the dead in my community. Hopefully you recall, I told you this already. In my community, WE pick up the shovels and WE completely cover the casket in dirt on all four sides and the top. And WE don't stop until it is complete, because WE are righteous God fearing Jews who respect the Law of The Most High.
  2. אֶת־אַדְמָ֣תְךָ֔ אֲשֶׁר֙ יְהֹוָ֣ה אֱלֹהֶ֔יךָ נֹתֵ֥ן לְךָ֖ נַֽחֲלָֽה - literally "the entire land, all it includes, everything flowing within it, from the bottom to the top, A to Z, which YHVH, your divine power, is giving to you, an inheritance."
there is a contradiction between Luke 9 and Matthew 5?

Yes. There is a contradiction. It can be reconciled. But I doubt you will be willing to pay the price.

In Luke 9 a Jewish soul approaches Jesus. Jesus, at that time, is adopting the role of the "Son-Of-Man". Jesus tells the man NOT to follow the law because he is not one of the dead.

When Jesus tells the Jewish soul who approaches him while Jesus is adopting the role of the "Son-of-Man" that he, the Jewish soul, should not bury the dead because he, the Jewish soul is not dead, Jesus is splitting the Jewish nation in half. The law says WE are united. Not only are the Jewish souls untied one to the other ( Psalm 133 ), but we are being given the land, completely, in total ( Deut 21:23 among many others ).

Jesus is splitting the Jewish people from each other and from their land because he is role playing as an angel who does that work beyond the material realm: The-Son-Of-Man. That's how to reconcile the verses. Jesus is thinking, at that time, the heavens and the earth have passed away already ( Isaiah 51:6 ). But he was wrong.

If the heavens and the earth have already passed away, then, Matthew 5 is not in contradiction with Luke 9. The Law, according to Jesus, at that time, can be changed in that case. However, he was wrong about that too. I'm quite certain he understands better now.

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The same question could be asked about Israel as a nation.

Many of us have prospered. Many of us succeed greatly. The secret to our success is Torah. Those who break the law and die young in great suffering as a result are not living in harmony with the Torah.

Because Jesus died young, did not succeed in the mission he claimed for himself, and suffered greatly, the Torah judges him as opposing, antithetical to its teaching.

John D. Brey

Yes, there were definately more writings by followers of some of the Christian concepts and numerous variations. None of them are valid for Torah based Jews though. Here are a few examples and dome descriptions I found about them:
  1. The Gospel of Judas - The content consists of conversations between Jesus and Judas Iscariot. Given that it includes late 2nd-century theology, it is widely thought to have been composed in the 2nd century (prior to 180 CE) by Gnostic Christians. The only copy of it known to exist is a Coptic language text that has been carbon dated to 280 CE, plus or minus 60 years. It has been suggested that the text derives from an earlier manuscript in the Greek language.
    • The Gospel of Judas consists of 16 chapters which document Jesus' teaching about spiritual matters and cosmology. According to the text, Judas is the only one of Jesus' disciples who accurately understands the words of his master. This Gospel contains few narrative elements; essentially, the Gospel records how Judas was taught by Jesus the true meaning of his message.
  2. The Gospel of Thomas -is an extra-canonical sayings gospel. It was discovered near Nag Hammadi, Egypt, in 1945 among a group of books known as the Nag Hammadi library. Scholars speculate the works were buried in response to a letter from Bishop Athanasius declaring a strict canon of Christian scripture. Scholars have proposed dates of composition as early as 60 AD and late as 250 AD. Many scholars have seen it as evidence of the existence of a "Q source" which might have been similar in its form as a collection of sayings of Jesus, without any accounts of his deeds or his life and death, referred to as a sayings gospel.
    • The Gospel of Thomas is very different in tone and structure from other New Testament apocrypha and the four canonical Gospels. Unlike the canonical Gospels, it is not a narrative account Jesus' life; instead, it consists of logia (sayings) attributed to Jesus, sometimes stand-alone, sometimes embedded in short dialogues or parables; 13 of its 16 parables are also found in the Synoptic Gospels. The text contains a possible allusion to the death of Jesus in logion 65 (Parable of the Wicked Husbandmen), but does not mention his crucifixion, his resurrection, or the Last Judgment; nor does it mention a messianic understanding of Jesus.
  3. The Gospel of Mary -is an early Christian text discovered in 1896 in a fifth-century papyrus codex written in Sahidic Coptic. This Berlin Codex was purchased in Cairo by German diplomat Carl Reinhardt. Although the work is popularly known as the Gospel of Mary, it is not classed as a gospel by some scholars, who restrict the term 'gospel' to texts "primarily focused on recounting the teachings and/or activities of Jesus during his adult life".
    • As the narrative opens, Jesus is engaged in dialogue with his disciples, answering their questions on the nature of matter and the nature of sin. At the end of the discussion, Jesus departs, leaving the disciples distraught and anxious. According to the story, Mary speaks up with words of comfort and encouragement. Then Peter asks Mary to share with them any special teaching she received from the Jesus, “Peter said to Mary, ‘Sister, we know that the Savior loved you more than the rest of the women. Tell us the words of the Savior which you remember – which you know (but) we do not, nor have we heard them.’”
    • Some quotes from the text:
    • But Andrew answered and said to the brethren, "Say what you think concerning what she said. For I do not believe that the Savior said this. For certainly these teachings are of other ideas." Peter also opposed her in regard to these matters and asked them about Jesus. "Did he then speak secretly with a woman, in preference to us, and not openly? Are we to turn back and all listen to her? Did he prefer her to us?"
  4. A few honorable mentions:
    • The Gospel of Peter
    • Gospel of Marcion
    • Gospel of Basilides
    • Gospel of Truth (Valentinian) – mid-2nd century, departed from earlier Gnostic works by admitting and defending the physicality of Christ and his resurrection
    • etc.

There's an extra-biblical epistle written by opponents of Jesus that proved many of the points found in the Gospels and Apostolic writings even more effectively than the canonical texts: Toledot Yeshu.

John

John D. Brey

Many of us have prospered. Many of us succeed greatly. The secret to our success is Torah. Those who break the law and die young in great suffering as a result are not living in harmony with the Torah.

Because Jesus died young, did not succeed in the mission he claimed for himself, and suffered greatly, the Torah judges him as opposing, antithetical to its teaching.

Are you condemning all the wonderful young Jews who died horrible deaths in the holocaust or any of the other pogroms directed against often righteous Jews? Many wonderful Jews have died young, and from violent deaths similar to Jesus. Are they all tossed aside along with Jesus for having not prospered so that they could justify interpretations of the written Torah by living long and prospering materially?

John

Last edited:

Ehav4Ever

There's an extra-biblical epistle written by opponents of Jesus that proved many of the points found in the Gospels and Apostolic writings even more effectively than the canonical texts: Toledot Yeshu.
John
According to the history, these were written by people who believed in one form of the historical Jesus and were simplie ostricized by early Christian church, church fathers, and eventually what became mainstream Christianity as it exists in various formats today. The writers were not writing anything like the Toledot Yehu which came about way later in history.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Jesus said in Matt. 8:22 "leave the dead to bury their own dead". How can that mean anything else than there being some people to do the job? I think that means the burial would be held and there would be no reason to worry about it.
How about he's trying to say, stop procrastinating with excuses? Why couldn't the man proclaim the kingdom as he buried his father? Why does living the worldly life have to be separated from following Jesus and proclaiming the kingdom?

John D. Brey

How about he's trying to say, stop procrastinating with excuses? Why couldn't the man proclaim the kingdom as he buried his father? Why does living the worldly life have to be separated from following Jesus and proclaiming the kingdom?

Matthew 10:37-38.

John

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Matthew 10:37-38.

John
Back up a couple of verses. He's speaking of obstacles. When family is in the way of doing what is right. That doesn't mean we have to abandon all if we can serve God as well. To say you must would be leaning on Paul instead of Jesus to guide the way.
Sure, the first Great Commandment is to love God, but the second, too, is important.

Matthew 5:23-24