• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is MAGA-ism a Religion?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Perhaps it's just me, but what I know about what makes a religion (and what I know seems unable to unmake it) suggests that the devotion to Donald Trump (not to a party, not to a platform, not to an ideology) constitutes a religion. As I think all personality cults do.

Some observations:

All Christians routinely ignore some horrifying stories from the Bible, and yet accept them as part of their devotions.
All MAGAs routinely ignore many horrifying stories about Trump, yet accept him as the focus of their devotions.

The vast majority of senior Trump supporters were implacably opposed to him at first, ran against him claiming he was so wrong for the party -- and then wound up supporting him, often completely contradicting their previous positions in the process.
The vast majority of Christ's supporters were originally the Romans and other polytheists of the ancient world. Those who Jesus arose from (Jews) reject him as "divine" even today.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Perhaps it's just me, but what I know about what makes a religion (and what I know seems unable to unmake it) suggests that the devotion to Donald Trump (not to a party, not to a platform, not to an ideology) constitutes a religion. As I think all personality cults do.

Some observations:
All Christians routinely ignore some horrifying stories from the Bible, and yet accept them as part of their devotions.​
All MAGAs routinely ignore many horrifying stories about Trump, yet accept him as the focus of their devotions.​
The vast majority of senior Trump supporters were implacably opposed to him at first, ran against him claiming he was so wrong for the party -- and then wound up supporting him, often completely contradicting their previous positions in the process.​
The vast majority of Christ's supporters were originally the Romans and other polytheists of the ancient world. Those who Jesus arose from (Jews) reject him as "divine" even today.​
Tell me anywhere where they say make America great again is actually a religion.

To answer your question directly make America great again is not a religion it's a political movement.

PearlSeeker

Some observations:
All Christians routinely ignore some horrifying stories from the Bible, and yet accept them as part of their devotions.​
All MAGAs routinely ignore many horrifying stories about Trump, yet accept him as the focus of their devotions.​
The vast majority of senior Trump supporters were implacably opposed to him at first, ran against him claiming he was so wrong for the party -- and then wound up supporting him, often completely contradicting their previous positions in the process.​
The vast majority of Christ's supporters were originally the Romans and other polytheists of the ancient world. Those who Jesus arose from (Jews) reject him as "divine" even today.​
Ah! I thought it was Krav Maga.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Yes… It can be found in the Democratic party too and in any branch of society. Even playing video games can become a religion.
Some observations:

Hardly. This sound more like faith bashing. All historical events have horrifying stories. We can use history as a time of meditation and learning

I would say I have a horrifying past too. I’m sure you have a horrifying past. Any group will have a group that would use it as devotions. Maybe the shooter felt like his act was a devotion. Maybe people use the lies that Biden says as devotions… I don’t know.

As the newly suggested VP said… “After I worked with Trump I realized that it was the media that distorted who he was and I fell for it”. Maybe you are hoodwinked by the media?

Now we have Biden supporters of 2020 who now have turned against him. Is that the same thing? Or do we have two different weight of balances.

As in the time of Jesus… some did and some didn’t. I think you are being one-sided and myopic in your view.

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox

Some observations:

The only way I have been able to understand MAGA is to classify it as a cult; I can't explain it otherwise.

Here is the output of the latest version of ChatGPT when my prompt was to define a cult.

==

A cult is typically defined as a social group with unusual religious, spiritual, or philosophical beliefs, or a common interest in a particular personality, object, or goal. The term often carries a negative connotation, particularly when the group’s practices are considered extreme or dangerous. Here are some common characteristics often associated with cults:

1. Charismatic Leadership: A single leader or small group of leaders who demand absolute loyalty and obedience.
2. Exclusive Beliefs: The belief that they possess the ultimate truth or unique insight, often to the exclusion of other viewpoints.
3. Isolation: Efforts to isolate members from outside influences, including family, friends, and society at large.
4. Control: Use of psychological manipulation, coercion, and sometimes physical control to maintain authority over members.
5. Demand for Devotion: High levels of commitment and dedication from members, often requiring significant personal sacrifices.
6. Us-vs-Them Mentality: Strong distinction between the in-group (members) and out-group (non-members), sometimes leading to hostility towards outsiders.

These characteristics can vary widely, and not all groups labeled as cults exhibit all these traits. The term can be controversial and is sometimes used pejoratively."

AI is onto sumthin

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Some observations:

I don't think they're a religion, but I agree with @LuisDantas that they're more like a cult. Here's a picture of them at the Republican Convention.

hippies.jpg

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
Not a religion proper... but an unholy cult, certainly.

Some of its members are even aware of the cult part and even teach it to others.
I don't know about 'unholy' but definitely (self) destructive. I view unholy as a righteous predilection.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
Part of the BITE model of authoritarian control:

1. Deception:
a. Deliberately withhold information
b. Distort information to make it more acceptable
c. Systematically lie to the cult member
2. Minimize or discourage access to non-cult sources of information, including:
a. Internet, TV, radio, books, articles, newspapers, magazines, media
b. Critical information
c. Former members
d. Keep members busy so they don’t have time to think and investigate
e. Control through cell phone with texting, calls, internet tracking
3. Compartmentalize information into Outsider vs. Insider doctrines
a. Ensure that information is not freely accessible
b. Control information at different levels and missions within group
c. Allow only leadership to decide who needs to know what and when
4. Encourage spying on other members
a. Impose a buddy system to monitor and control member
b. Report deviant thoughts, feelings and actions to leadership
c. Ensure that individual behavior is monitored by group
5. Extensive use of cult-generated information and propaganda, including:
a. Newsletters, magazines, journals, audiotapes, videotapes, YouTube, movies and other media
b. Misquoting statements or using them out of context from non-cult sources

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
No. A woke maga. Maga is Latin for witch. So basically a liberal or progressive witch. Like me.
I wonder how many people's heads would explode if we formed an unofficial association of woke magi?