• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is MAGA-ism a Religion?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Perhaps it's just me, but what I know about what makes a religion (and what I know seems unable to unmake it) suggests that the devotion to Donald Trump (not to a party, not to a platform, not to an ideology) constitutes a religion. As I think all personality cults do.

Some observations:
All Christians routinely ignore some horrifying stories from the Bible, and yet accept them as part of their devotions.​
All MAGAs routinely ignore many horrifying stories about Trump, yet accept him as the focus of their devotions.​
The vast majority of senior Trump supporters were implacably opposed to him at first, ran against him claiming he was so wrong for the party -- and then wound up supporting him, often completely contradicting their previous positions in the process.​
The vast majority of Christ's supporters were originally the Romans and other polytheists of the ancient world. Those who Jesus arose from (Jews) reject him as "divine" even today.​
I believe it is not a religion nor a cult. Trump has been successful and that can't be said of Biden. When Trump is gone the Republican party will not be the same and the candidates will be different despite Trump trying to name a successor in his VP selection.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Not a religion proper... but an unholy cult, certainly.

Some of its members are even aware of the cult part and even teach it to others.
There is a religious element to the politics. Republicans tend to cater to evangelical Christians to some extent and God is mentioned often at the convention. Democrat leaders tried to kick God out of their party but ran into opposition.

PureX

Veteran Member
Cults are not a religious phenomena. The are a psychological phenomena. They can and often do use control methods that are being couched in religious ideals and rituals but they are not being used for the sake of any religion. They are being used for the sake of controlling groups of human beings.

MAGA has become a cult. But it is not a religious cult. It's a collection of humans held together and controlled by psychological manipulation. That's what cults are.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Trump has been successful and that can't be said of Biden.
Successful at what? Being a sexual abuser and boasting about it on tape? Being a serial liar? Being a moron? Being ignorant? Being vindictive and childish? Being a criminal? An insurrectionist? Generally not respecting democracy, the law, or the constitution?

He's very good at rabble-rousing and demanding unquestioning loyalty, but I'm not sure that's what you want in a leader, really.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Tell me anywhere where they say make America great again is actually a religion.

To answer your question directly make America great again is not a religion it's a political movement.
The saying "Make America Great again" is a superficial political motto.

I do not believe you can call MAGA a religion, but it is a frightening fundamentalist Christian movement based on the establishment of Christian Theonomy. It includes radical movements and beliefs like QAnon, and movements to greatly constrict the democratic process in favor of extreme religious beliefs. The appointment of Federal judges by Trump reflects this religious agenda throughout the court system.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Of course, but post #46 describes the problem of MAGA
Sorry but based on the people I know who are MAGAs, and who definitely do not fit that description, I guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree. But I do want to point something out - as long as people like you keep just making assumptions about other groups of people, well that really gets us nowhere.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The saying "Make America Great again" is a superficial political motto.

I do not believe you can call MAGA a religion, but it is a frightening fundamentalist Christian movement based on the establishment of Christian Theonomy. It includes radical movements and beliefs like QAnon, and movements to greatly constrict the democratic process in favor of extreme religious beliefs. The appointment of Federal judges by Trump reflects this religious agenda throughout the court system.
That is just nothing but personal assumptions that are trying to be spun into something that can be best described as pseudo fact. As @Kathryn has pointed out that those characteristics do not fall in line with everybody involved in the movement.

I have no problems with making America great again, and I'm also not a Christian, so how do you explain that?

It's nothing more than a political movement born from Trump's original campaign and presidency highlighting America's respect and appeal that it had in the past and a desire to restore that distinction. A pretty noble ideal as I can't think of too many people that doesn't want their country to be the best it can be.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
I have no problems with making America great again, and I'm also not a Christian, so how do you explain that?
But Trump clearly doesn't want to make America great again, at least not in any sense of the word 'great' that I'd recognise.

He wants to enforce ultra-conservative moral values, demonise immigrants, destroy its moral standing in the world (that which is left of it, anyway), pander to dictators, and autocrats, and worse than all that, burn more fossil fuels and basically make the next generations live with the consequence of the idiotic science-deniers, which, ironically, will make migration a much bigger problem.

The only thing Trump wants to make 'great' is Trump (at least in the eyes of his sheep).

Project 2025 is horrifying. If you really want to live in Gilead (The Handmaid's Tale), vote Trump.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
But Trump clearly doesn't want to make America great again, at least not in any sense of the word 'great' that I'd recognise.

He wants to enforce ultra-conservative moral values, demonise immigrants, destroy its moral standing in the world (that which is left of it, anyway), pander to dictators, and autocrats, and worse than all that, burn more fossil fuels and basically make the next generations live with the consequence of the idiotic science-deniers, which, ironically, will make migration a much bigger problem.

The only thing Trump wants to make 'great' is Trump (at least in the eyes of his sheep).

Project 2025 is horrifying. If you really want to live in Gilead (The Handmaid's Tale), vote Trump.
Make America Gilead Anon.

Definition of ANON