• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is MAGA-ism a Religion?

Madsaac

Perhaps it's just me, but what I know about what makes a religion (and what I know seems unable to unmake it) suggests that the devotion to Donald Trump (not to a party, not to a platform, not to an ideology) constitutes a religion. As I think all personality cults do.

Some observations:
All Christians routinely ignore some horrifying stories from the Bible, and yet accept them as part of their devotions.​
All MAGAs routinely ignore many horrifying stories about Trump, yet accept him as the focus of their devotions.​
The vast majority of senior Trump supporters were implacably opposed to him at first, ran against him claiming he was so wrong for the party -- and then wound up supporting him, often completely contradicting their previous positions in the process.​
The vast majority of Christ's supporters were originally the Romans and other polytheists of the ancient world. Those who Jesus arose from (Jews) reject him as "divine" even today.​

Probably not but the gist of your post is valid

Yerda

Veteran Member
MAGA bashing is essentially a civic duty. Everywhere.

To think otherwise is to be, at the very least, seriously naive.
Also worth noting that the filth backing maga are also flooding the rest of the world with funding for far right parties, soaking the internet with lies, misinformation and racist fear-mongering. It's a worldwide coalition of the ****-you-buddys pivoting on racism and paranoia to get their own way. Maga is just on particularly vile head of the serpent.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Being religious (strongly devoted to something) is not the same as religion (a comprehensive way of life that addresses existential questions of life and meaning).

Devotion to an individual human could be religious. But it would not be religion. Not without all the things put in parenthesis - party, platform, ideology, and more - that we are supposed to discount in evaluating this per the OP.

I Am Hugh

Researcher
I define religion as a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance. Politics, whether MAGA or Woke, or any other, is religion.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Perhaps it's just me, but what I know about what makes a religion (and what I know seems unable to unmake it) suggests that the devotion to Donald Trump (not to a party, not to a platform, not to an ideology) constitutes a religion. As I think all personality cults do.

Some observations:
All Christians routinely ignore some horrifying stories from the Bible, and yet accept them as part of their devotions.​
All MAGAs routinely ignore many horrifying stories about Trump, yet accept him as the focus of their devotions.​
The vast majority of senior Trump supporters were implacably opposed to him at first, ran against him claiming he was so wrong for the party -- and then wound up supporting him, often completely contradicting their previous positions in the process.​
The vast majority of Christ's supporters were originally the Romans and other polytheists of the ancient world. Those who Jesus arose from (Jews) reject him as "divine" even today.​
I've heard more than one Republican say that their (sometimes former) party has become a cult.

As far as I can see, that's exactly right. Trump's followers seem to be perfectly willing to accept any nonsense or conspiracy theory if Trump or one of his disciples says it's true.....

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Hardly. This sound more like faith bashing. All historical events have horrifying stories. We can use history as a time of meditation and learning
The difference is when we study history, it's not part of a sacred text that is supposed to guide our spiritual journey and inform our views of morality. The point about ignoring some horrifying stories in the Bible is that the Bible is meant to be the infallible word of God, and the stories comment on God and his nature.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
The difference is when we study history, it's not part of a sacred text that is supposed to guide our spiritual journey and inform our views of morality. The point about ignoring some horrifying stories in the Bible is that the Bible is meant to be the infallible word of God, and the stories comment on God and his nature.
And it is the word of God. That is why it is honest when they are horrifying accounts. Regular people sanitize their history

Tomef

Some observations:
It seems like a grasping for something. Some sort of a desperate need for a story to cling to. I think perhaps MAGA-ites struggle to find any sense of relevance in a world that doesn’t accept their notions about the world as unquestionable truths.