• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is prayer the walkie-talkie of war?

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
this is a shameless plug for Platonistic dualism: Flesh=bad/not real. spirit=good/real. I don't see that kind of dualism extant in creation.
Once again Sojourner, I say please, you are the one throwing the accusation and calling my post a shameless plug for dualism. Let's just forget it. You have your belief and I have mine. I don't think God would want christians mad over His word. Apparently we just interpret it differently......Let's just agree to disagree and forget it. ;)

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
This is a really interesting discussion. Charity and heneni, you both are supporting the traditional interpretation of scripture, and it is nice to be reminded of things I had forgotten.

Sojourner, you present an alternative I had never considered. Your non-militant interpretations are very fascinating, and I appreciate the chance to have stumbled across them.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
there are those who are so busy putting on spiritual cloaks against the chill of evil, that they forget to embrace the sun of righteousness, which has warmed the chill away.

We can choose whether to be "at war" with "forces," or we can choose to be "at peace" with "God."

Which is a better use of energy?

Heneni

Miss Independent
there are those who are so busy putting on spiritual cloaks against the chill of evil, that they forget to embrace the sun of righteousness, which has warmed the chill away.

We can choose whether to be "at war" with "forces," or we can choose to be "at peace" with "God."

Which is a better use of energy?

If we have to crucify the flesh, its not going to go to the cross willingly. It will require some sort of 'fight'.

I reckon your spirit is not getting any resistance from your flesh, in which case you have come into your kingdom and that without the rest of us who are fighting the good fight of faith, and putting on the armour of god, which is spiritual protection against the onslaught of the flesh. The flesh can be influenced by the powers in the air. So then...im still in a battle, and if i am an overcomer...the bible says...i shall inherit good things.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
If we have to crucify the flesh, its not going to go to the cross willingly. It will require some sort of 'fight'.

I reckon your spirit is not getting any resistance from your flesh, in which case you have come into your kingdom and that without the rest of us who are fighting the good fight of faith, and putting on the armour of god, which is spiritual protection against the onslaught of the flesh. The flesh can be influenced by the powers in the air. So then...im still in a battle, and if i am an overcomer...the bible says...i shall inherit good things.
;) You are so right

sojourner

and why do we "have to" crucify the flesh? God created us good. Perhaps you're fighting against something that need not be fought against?
Resistance is not always a bad thing. Whe we train with resistance, we get stronger muscles. Resistance does not = "war" ... which was the point of this thread.

Sonic247

Of course pray in war is the thing to do; even atheists pray when the bombs start to fall. After all "Lord of hosts" could also be translated "Lord of armies." But at the same time all war will end because of God one day.

sojourner

Of course pray in war is the thing to do; even atheists pray when the bombs start to fall. After all "Lord of hosts" could also be translated "Lord of armies." But at the same time all war will end because of God one day.
Of course prayer is a tool we use in dealing with theodicy. But prayer is not primarily a means of war communique. It is, rather, a means to invoke peace.