• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is religion something you can develop on your own?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Mister Cheese,

There is a difference between a belief system and a religion

a belief system is just a way of believing and seeing things, and perhaps practises enabling you to see that way

Religion requires other people...other inputs

Belief is just a mind matter [thoughts].
Religion is no-thoughts it is direct experiencing through practice of stilling the mind [thoughts] and requires no inputs but on the other hand deleting all inputs already stored.

Love & rgds

SCDee

I think the answer to your question of religion being something you can develop on your own is in the end a yes. However, I think fellowship is important, I think in Buddhist terms it's called sangha. It's so easy to get caught up in maya (illusion) if you don't try to follow some type of spiritual practice whether it be attending a church, temple, sangha, etc.

I went to a Baptist church with my maternal grandmother from 6 yo to 10. She died then and neither of my parents were churchgoers. Even so I consider my mother to be more Christian than some Christians who attend every Sunday service.

I moved to CA when I was 19, attended a Self-Realization Fellowship church for a while but it just didn't speak to my heart so I quit going. Long period of time when I did not attend any services but started going to a Unity church about 20 years ago when I lived in Orlando, FL. Loved it! Unfortunately, when I went to the Unity church here I just did not feel all that welcome. Recently I've started going to a non-denominational church which has a Saturday night service and a singles Bible study group on Monday nights. Not sure if "Mr. Right" will ever walk through the door there but I don't feel like I'm out of place there since everyone is either divorced, never married or widowed. The teacher is a fantastic speaker, I actually look forward to going which has been an experience I've not had for quite some time now!

There's nothing wrong with being a seeker, read about different religions and you'll know when you've found the right one. It can be quite a blessing to find a group that you can identify with and develop relationships with, otherwise at times the path can feel lonesome imo. I feel this board is doing a good service where people can read and post their thoughts and feelings regarding such matters. Kudos to whoever started it!

Last edited:

challupa

I think the answer to your question of religion being something you can develop on your own is in the end a yes. However, I think fellowship is important, I think in Buddhist terms it's called sangha. It's so easy to get caught up in maya (illusion) if you don't try to follow some type of spiritual practice whether it be attending a church, temple, sangha, etc.

I went to a Baptist church with my maternal grandmother from 6 yo to 10. She died then and neither of my parents were churchgoers. Even so I consider my mother to be more Christian than some Christians who attend every Sunday service.

I moved to CA when I was 19, attended a Self-Realization Fellowship church for a while but it just didn't speak to my heart so I quit going. Long period of time when I did not attend any services but started going to a Unity church about 20 years ago when I lived in Orlando, FL. Loved it! Unfortunately, when I went to the Unity church here I just did not feel all that welcome. Recently I've started going to a non-denominational church which has a Saturday night service and a singles Bible study group on Monday nights. Not sure if "Mr. Right" will ever walk through the door there but I don't feel like I'm out of place there since everyone is either divorced, never married or widowed. The teacher is a fantastic speaker, I actually look forward to going which has been an experience I've not had for quite some time now!

There's nothing wrong with being a seeker, read about different religions and you'll know when you've found the right one. It can be quite a blessing to find a group that you can identify with and develop relationships with, otherwise at times the path can feel lonesome imo. I feel this board is doing a good service where people can read and post their thoughts and feelings regarding such matters. Kudos to whoever started it!
Welcome to RF, and yes it's a great forum!!

Thief

Rogue Theologian
And if so, how do you know that you are right?
Does being right even matter?

I grew up in the kind of Christian household where you went to church on the holidays (which didn't help me warm up to it, with all the crowded pews).

I know I believe in a greater being, most likely a God, but beyond that I'm stumped. How does one even go about creating their own religion? I get the feeling that's something I might not even want to toy with.

I am a rogue theologian.

Yes!....because you have belief in a God....you have no alternative but to develop your doctrine.
You could...as most people do...nod your head to any pastor, priest, minister, or rabbi.
But ultimately, you will answer for whatever you are willing to say...willing to do.
If you nod your head with a congregation, you will share their fate.

I've not been able to find agreement to all points, with any religion.
Therefore, I am on my own.

By the words of others...or by your own rational...what you say of God....the angels will take in regard.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
And if so, how do you know that you are right?
Does being right even matter?

I grew up in the kind of Christian household where you went to church on the holidays (which didn't help me warm up to it, with all the crowded pews).

I know I believe in a greater being, most likely a God, but beyond that I'm stumped. How does one even go about creating their own religion? I get the feeling that's something I might not even want to toy with.

Sure, religion may and should be developed in a personal scale if at all possible.

Why do you feel that it is not advisable to?