• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is religion the major source of homophobia?

Paraprakrti

Custom User
I am homophobic (and heterophobic) in the same way that a non-theist is theophobic.

(In other words, I don't believe in homo and hetero sexuality.)

MissAlice

I am homophobic (and heterophobic) in the same way that a non-theist is theophobic.

(In other words, I don't believe in homo and hetero sexuality.)

Well it looks like you contradicted yourself.

If you don't believe in Hetero-sexuality or homo-sexuality then how can be homo and hetero phobic?

Jeremiah

I have a nephew who's gay. We had a family reunion this past summer and I spent some time with him. I shook his hand, I talked to him, we laughed together, and I enjoyed his company. He's always been a likeable and funny guy since he was a little boy. I don't feel fear when I'm with him. I don't feel sick or dizzy or exhibit any signs of having any type of phobia. Yet, I believe that homosexual behavior is a sin. Could it be that I actually have a phobia and don't know it?

I also think that pre-marital sex is a sin. I'm not sure, but I think that some of the people I know might be engaging in this behavior. They seem nice enough. When I'm around them I also enjoy their company. I don't think that they're going to rub off on my or attack me and force me to engage in their life style. As far as I can tell, I don't have any phobias relating to them either. Could it be that I am premaritalsexphobic and don't know it?

Help me out here, folks. I need your diagnosis.

"Help me out here, folks. I need your diagnosis."

Nobody here is saying simply because someone is religious they are necessarily a homophob.

Last edited:

Jeremiah

This only shows ignorance of one of the basic tenets of Christianity. It is not a reversable equation. The Bible says that man is inherently evil and that what is good, in the eyes of God, only comes from Him. While it isn't "religion" per say that imparts good, it is the God, that followers of the Christian religion look towards for goodness, that imparts good and not evil. That some follow it poorly is the fault of the individual.

Can other religions (other then Christianity) impart "evil"?

Last edited:

Paraprakrti

Custom User
Well it looks like you contradicted yourself.

If you don't believe in Hetero-sexuality or homo-sexuality then how can be homo and hetero phobic?

Exactly.

If a non-theist doesn't believe in God, then how can he/she be afraid of God? What I said contained no contradiction if you understood the comparison being made. I am as homo/heterophobic as a non-theist is theophobic.

MissAlice

Exactly.

If a non-theist doesn't believe in God, then how can he/she be afraid of God? What I said contained no contradiction if you understood the comparison being made. I am as homo/heterophobic as a non-theist is theophobic.

Well I'm only a theophobic whenever theists make it lawful to impart bigotry onto a society of people. Seems to me there's been more bloodshed, violence, and oppression in the name of religion. More than often, homosexuals are usually the ones killed within their societies in the concept of a god or allah. That to me is the most irrational excuse or reason to kill someone.

Other than that, I've met pretty decent people who belive in something greater than themselves and I think it's great. I think people should have the freedom of religion but as long as it isn't governed or forced onto other people's personal beliefs or lifestyles.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
I have a nephew who's gay. We had a family reunion this past summer and I spent some time with him. I shook his hand, I talked to him, we laughed together, and I enjoyed his company. He's always been a likeable and funny guy since he was a little boy. I don't feel fear when I'm with him. I don't feel sick or dizzy or exhibit any signs of having any type of phobia. Yet, I believe that homosexual behavior is a sin. Could it be that I actually have a phobia and don't know it?

I also think that pre-marital sex is a sin. I'm not sure, but I think that some of the people I know might be engaging in this behavior. They seem nice enough. When I'm around them I also enjoy their company. I don't think that they're going to rub off on my or attack me and force me to engage in their life style. As far as I can tell, I don't have any phobias relating to them either. Could it be that I am premaritalsexphobic and don't know it?

Help me out here, folks. I need your diagnosis.
God hates liars as well yet we are surrounded with and interact with liars every day while we still see it as sin. Are we liaraphobic as well?

Smoke

Done here.
There is nothing about the inherent teachings of Christianity that make it homophobic.
I didn't say there was. I was talking about Christianity as it has generally been practiced, and not Christianity as it might be practiced (and actually has been, in a few cases).

Yet nowhere in the Bible is a Christian commanded to kill anyone.
You totally avoided my point, which was about witches and slave-owners. And this thread is about homophobia, not necessarily killing people.

If you read Ghandi, it's very explicit: don't kill anyone. It's clear. No ambiguity. Where in the Bible does it forbid Christians from killing anyone? I think it should have been made MUCH more explicit, in light of the incredibly violent OT. History bears this criticism out.