• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Science The Top Reason People Abandon Spiritual Pursuits?

Eli G

No you are right science can't do everything but it is continually helping us live better lives, so less need for religion. ...
Living conditions on Earth are not getting better with time, as you think. At this point it is not just about the benefits that some human beings receive, but about the damage that is being done to our planet so that they can have those personal benefits.

The main problem of human societies is of a moral nature, and as that human aspect deteriorates, everything else is affected. Violence, criminality, theft, selfishness, lack of ethics, lack of empathy, lack of respect, addictions and vices, etc., cannot be eliminated with the intentions of good people.

On the other hand, atheism and dictatorial governments go together and those are are not the solution to human problems.

Pogo

Living conditions on Earth are not getting better with time, as you think. At this point it is not just about the benefits that some human beings receive, but about the damage that is being done to our planet so that they can have those personal benefits.

The main problem of human societies is of a moral nature, and as that human aspect deteriorates, everything else is affected. Violence, criminality, theft, selfishness, lack of ethics, lack of empathy, lack of respect, addictions and vices, etc., cannot be eliminated with the intentions of good people.

On the other hand, atheism and dictatorial governments go together and those are are not the solution to human problems.
I notice you have no data to back up your opinions.

But here is one for you to contemplate re evil liberal states full of atheists unlike god fearing Louisiana where they want to post the 10 commandments on the wall.
blog_murder_rate_2020_states_above_average.jpg

The above average states, I didn't realize atheism and rejection of morality were so popular here.

blog_murder_rate_2020_states_below_average-1.jpg

Oh that's where those evil cesspits, California, New York, Wisconsin, Minnesota and heck even that den of iniquity Nevada with Brothels and Gambling show up as practitioners of thou shall not kill.

And then there is the crime rate in radical places like Cambridge Mass, home of Harvard, MIT Boston College and even Radcliffe.
2023_50yearCrimeGraphic.PNG

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
But liberating to many who were brought up in controlling environments. Especially when religion was used as a method of control.
I'm so, so sorry about your experience. If that was the case, I completely understand why leaving religion in the dust felt like a breath of fresh air.

Some religious groups are just extremely toxic. I try to stay away from the word cult, because it seems like everyone has a different definition of the word. What I'm describing are religious groups that tear you down rather than build you up. And yes, extreme control is one of the major hallmarks of these toxic faiths. I don't want to do a big long post of all the signs of such a group, but isolating members from their families and friends, inability to tolerate questions, and use of fear are on top of the list. These groups cause tremendous psychological damage.

What is so sad, so incredibly sad, is that these perversions of religion taint the perception of religion in general, which is actually a really good thing. I don't think it's fair to give religion a bad rap simply because a minority are so destructive.

Religion serves a long list of purposes, all of which are very, very good. Participation in a religious community means that a person is more likely to be healthier, happier, longer lived, and have a buffer against anxiety and depression. Where a toxic faith creates fear and oppression, a healthy religion provides security and safety, acceptance, care in times of trouble, support for sticking to an ethical framework, the feeling of being loved, and the ability to see meaning in life.

If religion doesn't work for you, that's okay. But I hope that you can at least form an intellectual appreciation for religion in general, despite the exceptions to the rule.