• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is sex sacred?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Many people have learned that sex outside of Gods arrangement (marriage) does not lead to happiness...it often makes people unhappy and brings trouble to their life, ie unwanted pregnancy, sexually transmitted disease, lack of self respect
and it can often cause relationships to sour. You should know that most woman seek a partner who wants to stay with her...if your idea is only casual sex, then she may feel betrayed and used by you at a later time... and thats even if you've told her you only want casual sex because a womans emotional makeup makes us prone to attachment.

Casual sex and premarital sex aren't necessarily the same thing.

Unwanted pregnancy, stds, etc. only happen with irresponsible sex, and I'm not sure what the lack of self respect comes from.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Many people have learned that sex outside of Gods arrangement (marriage) does not lead to happiness...it often makes people unhappy and brings trouble to their life, ie unwanted pregnancy, sexually transmitted disease, lack of self respect
and it can often cause relationships to sour. You should know that most woman seek a partner who wants to stay with her...if your idea is only casual sex, then she may feel betrayed and used by you at a later time... and thats even if you've told her you only want casual sex because a womans emotional makeup makes us prone to attachment.
I am curious, how does marriage prevent STDs, pregnancy, lack of self respect, and never having a relationship sour?

Draka

Wonder Woman
I am curious, how does marriage prevent STDs, pregnancy, lack of self respect, and never having a relationship sour?

It's interesting that a friend of mine recently found out she got an STD. She is married. She didn't stray, yet she got an STD. Wonder how that happened? Marriage prevents STDs right? :rolleyes:

Honestly, I have known far more happy unmarried people having sex in relationships than unhappy ones. On the flip side, I've known many an unhappy married couple. Marriage is no guarantee of happiness and being in an unmarried relationship is no guarantee of unhappiness. These things vary with the couples and the individuals that make up those couples. To try to blanket statement that unmarried people suffer all these bad things while marriage is a good thing is, frankly, absurd. Marriage or no marriage, a relationship is what the people involved make it. If the relationship is a good one where the individuals in it are happy and love each other and feel committed to each other, then that is what matters. Not whether or not they are legally married.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
IMO, either everything is sacred, or nothing is sacred, depending on how one defines sacred. I think all things should be approached with thought and passion, but that nothing is inherently magical or special.

Sometimes cultural taboos or traditions become laws of sacredness in a given culture. Cultures all have different views on sex, and other animals have certain specific ways of approaching sex as well.

It comes down to what a person is comfortable with, and whether an activity is positive and constructive.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Talk to your spiritual adviser.

The Catholic viewpoint is that sex, while a good thing in and of itself, is reserved for marriage. The idea is that it is the cementing of the bond between two loving people, that in sex the two become one.

Sex, in its proper function aims at creating one heart and soul between the two people.
Marriage is the sanction of God upon two people who so desire to become one.

Daviso452

Boy Genius
Sex is as sacred as you make it.
Of course, that does not mean that everyone else has to agree with how sacred you make sex.
Very good point. The same could be said even from an atheistic view. Though you might have to replace the word "sacred" :D.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Insisting that sex is sacred is a great way to profane it.
Why?

I might be inclined to say that I consider it sacred from a certain point of view. However, that doesn't mean that I think it should necessarily be reserved for marriage.

In fact (to switch tack and direct this toward the OP), I think that leaving it until marriage can sometimes create problems: if you leave sex out completely while the relationship forms, grows and matures to the point that you have the commitment required for marriage, it can be difficult to integrate sex into the relationship after marriage. Sex can be an expression of love, yes, but if you're already expressing your love in other ways that exclude sex, bringing sex into the equation later can really change (and potentially upset) the dynamics of the relationship.

And that's if both people approach sex in marriage with a healthy attitude. I think that in many cases, the way that people are taught to wait until marriage is by having sex portrayed as something dirty or shameful; these feelings can carry over into the marriage.

St Giordano Bruno

This thread reminds me of this Monty Python's skit on the meaning of life.

[youtube]U0kJHQpvgB8[/youtube]

Last edited:

nnmartin

to me sex is just a bodily function.

admittedly, it is better if you do it with someone that you love but it's still just a function - rather like having a nice meal.

many religions have given it 'a meaning' when really there isn't one.

ohhcuppycakee

What my religion says aside, this is my personal belief: I do believe sex is sacred. God gave us a physical body. We must honor our body He gave us and keep it healthy. Promiscuity can be harmful to the body (STDs and such). We shouldn't give our body to just anyone, we should give it to the person we are committed to and plan to be with for the rest of our lives.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
to me sex is just a bodily function.

admittedly, it is better if you do it with someone that you love but it's still just a function - rather like having a nice meal.

many religions have given it 'a meaning' when really there isn't one.
I submit that having a nice meal is better with someone you love as well...

religion99

According to my religion , it is not sacred , because it involves a lot of violence. Billions of sperms get killed.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Life is short. Youth is even shorter. It's a real tragedy if people miss out on things because of some misguided dogma pushed on them by unthinking people.

gnosticx

yes it is.....marriage was originally conducted as a ceremony part of which was that all and sundry would make every effort to honour and support the union... today were at a point where all is designed to tear the union to shreds with the express purpose of creating rebellious children. thats another discussion but if your going to maintain your relationship with this woman for life then ok.....personal experience sex for sex sake will do 2 things....you will be tempted to look else where and whether on not you do this is not a good battle to bring on yourself....