• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is The American Empire Gone?

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
The US isn't going anywhere without one hell of a skirmish.

OaUU0OP.jpg

Battleships (27)
Carriers (256)

Amphibious Dock (66)
Amphibs / Gators (2,904)
Cruisers (168)
Destroyers (686)
Tenders (88)
Unrep Ships (182)

DE - FF (581)

Amphibious Assault (20)

Balistic Missile Submarines (59)

Attack Submarines (430)

That's just the naval ships, there's also a huge inventory of aircraft.

I believe in the USA's constitution and bill of rights and religious freedom, even though the Christian's believe this is supposed to be a Christrian nation, it wasn't founded on the belief. Our Government also pushed to seperate it's citizens into it's own "American" culture, even though we have a strong European culture as well, I do miss Europe a lot.

It will take a long time to win back international favor, if that is ever accomplished. A lot of Nations are angry with the Russian Federation right now. Scotland is still adamant about seperating from England. The EU may grow into the dominating power if Russia does commit to President Putin's vow Russia is no longer seeking conquest. Scandinavia can become a major super power but it's economy doesn't seem nearly as powerful as other Nations.

France seems meek on the subject. Rome could return as a super power if they wanted to, they are restoring the Colosseum, that alone isn't going to restore all of it's former glory.

It's ultimately boiling down to economics, even though joining a union doesn't exactly make your country property of the other, The EU is going quite strong and all.

It's difficult to say, Scotland wanting independence from the U.K. isn't cataclysmic to England.

If it came to conquest and ultimate war with the US, it would be cataclysmic plus the potential for nuclear warfare.
zsSmfqE.jpg

Which cess pool of a Nation is right or wrong is indeterminate to me. Even with our Constitution and Bill of Rights, they're infringed on regularly if the Government deems it necessary.

As a tech guy I think traditional warfare with all this hardware and bluster is only good in certain regions of the world whereas in other areas of the globe some skinny kid working for his government is planning to cripple a nation by snatching her purse........I think the future of warfare will be fought digitally.

Alceste

Vagabond
Your numbers are a little wonky. The US has zero battleships in commission. All of those lists include ships that were sunk during WW2. The Enterprise (CV-6) was scrapped in 1958. You list 256 aircraft carriers, but the US has 10 active (3 being built).

And if that A-bomb is how you think you'll maintain power, I suggest you form a mental image of Hitler in the bunker swearing that if he couldn't survive, Germany didn't deserve to. Gotterdammerung is not empire maintenance, it's the end.

Also, I was surprised to learn that nukes don't last forever. They need to regularly be replaced. As the US goes steadily broker in the coming decades, I expect they will end up disarming just by virtue of the fact their nukes will reach the end of their useful lives and there will be no money with which to replace them.

Same goes for the rest of that hardware, I imagine. Not only do you need to pay for upkeep and replacement, you need to pay thousands of people to man and maintain the equipment.

Not happening.

esmith

Veteran Member

I think you had better check the records. To start with there are no battleships left in commission and there are only 10 carriers in commission. As an old salt would appreciate it if you at least gave current numbers. I know what you are attempting to show but.......

Apocalypse-Now

En Sabah Nur
So, no - America is still the sole superpower.
Sole superpower doesn't negate the fact America isn't as preeminent as it was during the Eisenhower administration. This is not my opinion; but I'm simply citing a recent article in the Times.

There can be no doubt, America is not as preeminent as it was during the 1950s.

esmith

Veteran Member
So in your opinion what country is now a superpower and list your reason why you place them in this category; be specific.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
We are the #1 superpower and are likely to stay as such for a very long time, but we are going to stop being the #1 economic superpower within a couple of years. Either way, our days of being the "world's policeman" should be numbered unless we wish to dip deeper economically. We've made some terrible choices at times in recent decades, and we're paying the price.

Along with this, the increasing disparity of wealth here is very troubling, worrying even conservative economists, such as Greenspan. This trend tends to breed unrest and conflict, thus causing greater polarization, and on multiple fronts. Greenspan told Congress not long before he retired that he considers this to be the single biggest threat to the U.S.

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
We are the #1 superpower and are likely to stay as such for a very long time, but we are going to stop being the #1 economic superpower within a couple of years. Either way, our days of being the "world's policeman" should be numbered unless we wish to dip deeper economically. We've made some terrible choices at times in recent decades, and we're paying the price.

Along with this, the increasing disparity of wealth here is very troubling, worrying even conservative economists, such as Greenspan. This trend tends to breed unrest and conflict, thus causing greater polarization, and on multiple fronts. Greenspan told Congress not long before he retired that he considers this to be the single biggest threat to the U.S.
Indeed...and an even greater problem is the disparity in education and educational opportunities. I believe this is the 2nd biggest threat...if not the biggest !!!

Apocalypse-Now

En Sabah Nur
So in your opinion what country is now a superpower and list your reason why you place them in this category; be specific.
No, you didn't read my answer correctly at all; otherwise, you wouldn't need to ask such a question.

America being the world's only superpower doesn't mean to say that the power differential between USA and the rest of the world is the same as it was back in the days of Eisenhower.

According to this article in the Times -- owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation -- Englishman Lord Rees-Mogg is reputed to have said that the America of Eisenhower is like the Rome of Augustus Caesar -- which was the Golden Age of the Roman Empire!

By definition, Rome in Late-antiquity cannot be compared with Rome of the 1st century AD; and America is no longer as preeminent as it was during the Eisenhower administration.

This is FACT, whether you like it or not.

Last edited:

Apocalypse-Now

En Sabah Nur
We are the #1 superpower and are likely to stay as such for a very long time,
But where would America be without God Jehovah, the Gospels, and the New Covenant of Jesus Christ?

America's greatness is only partly to do with Judaism and the Hebrew Scriptures; but it has more to do with Christianity than any other religion.

Assuming God "blessed" America, this is only so because America is largely Christian and white; which inherited the Old Covenant of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. (Matthew 21:43; Romans 11).

PS. FYI, I am neither Arabic, nor Muslim. My profile pic and avatar is a copyright of Marvel Comics Inc. Apparently, En Sabah Nur is reference to "The First One"; and the Apocalypse is reference to the End of Time. Thus, I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty. (Revelation 1:8).

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
But where would America be without God Jehovah, the Gospels, and the New Covenant of Jesus Christ?

America's greatness is only partly to do with Judaism and the Hebrew Scriptures; but it has more to do with Christianity than any other religion.

Assuming God "blessed" America, this is only so because America is largely Christian and white; which inherited the Old Covenant of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. (Matthew 21:43; Romans 11).

PS. FYI, I am neither Arabic, nor Muslim. My profile pic and avatar is a copyright of Marvel Comics Inc. Apparently, En Sabah Nur is reference to "The First One"; and the Apocalypse is reference to the End of Time. Thus, I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty. (Revelation 1:8).
I didn't inject any religion or religious aspects into what I posted. Secondly, I do not accept the concept that there's a direct connection between religion and "greatness" as it applies to countries.