• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Bible the literal word of God?

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
Many people believe in the Bible but some believe it by the word.So why is the Bible still being altered today?

Because they have a hard time understanding what is written in other versions. So they think they know better what the Bible means and they make a version with their own interpretation.

A

angellous_evangellous

Because they have a hard time understanding what is written in other versions. So they think they know better what the Bible means and they make a version with their own interpretation.

The "difficulty in understanding" would not be such a problem if people were not pressured to apply it to their lives.

For example, the only reason why the meaning of homosexuality in the Bible is questioned is because Christians want to apply those texts to modern situations. It's not that the text is ambiguous in any way...

BillBo

The question is perhaps one of the most highly charged aspects of christianity today, the problem is that the 'original language' of the bible is not understood today. Yes we have biblical hebrew scholars who can 'interpret' ancient writings, and the same with Greek and Roman, but languge and its nuances changes with time, thus the subtlety of a particular meaning of a word or phrase, let alone a passage, is easily misinterpreted.

One must also remember that the written word, especially of naration, cannot fully encompass actual meanings. How often have you seen on TV a phrase like 'I'll kill him' being used in a courtroom scene, and yet most people have said similar phrases but either did not mean them literally or they may even have been said in jest, yet the simple written statement would imply a threat to 'murder' someone. This is an extreme example but I feel illustrates the point clearly.

Todays bible is, as has been pointed out above, still changing. But we as either individuals or as groups hold that certain aspects of the philosophy hold true. If humans did not make differing interpretations of the bible then we would be no better than automatons, God gave us free will and the intelligence to use it (we hope), therefore God gave us the power to rationally debate the bible (at least that is what I hope).

Dunemeister

How is the bible changing? I honestly don't get it. And in your answer, please indicate specific changes.

so if the world started with adam and eve that means we all inbred. and what about the that talking serpent is that all literal.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
changed because for some reason the bible really hates women. why is that?
The Bible doesn't show hate toward women.....Throughout the whole bible women have been used in mighty ways to do God's work. They were women who evangelized in the new Testament..... How do you arrive at the statement you made?

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
The "difficulty in understanding" would not be such a problem if people were not pressured to apply it to their lives.

Are people pressured to apply them in their lives? Religions encourage people to read them and learn from them but I wouldn't consider that pressuring.

For example, the only reason why the meaning of homosexuality in the Bible is questioned is because Christians want to apply those texts to modern situations. It's not that the text is ambiguous in any way...

I agree. That's why we have modern Prophets that tell us God's will for us today.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
Being a prophet has got to pay well specially with you suckers about. might start
Huh? That didn't make any sense.

so are we all inbred?

Yeah that's why peoploe in the Bible used to live for hundreds of years. As the inbreeding occured our health level decreased until we have all the health problems we do now.

And we wouldn't be inbred with evolution?

Huh? That didn't make any sense.

Yeah that's why peoploe in the Bible used to live for hundreds of years. As the inbreeding occured our health level decreased until we have all the health problems we do now.

And we wouldn't be inbred with evolution?

touche!! my friend. LOL!!

hahaha no, people lived shorter lives back then that statement is so false.
most people would have died at child birth, or a cold. or anything no healthcare. our life expectency has only started to rise over the past 100 years.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
hahaha no, people lived shorter lives back then that statement is so false.
most people would have died at child birth, or a cold. or anything no healthcare. our life expectency has only started to rise over the past 100 years.

I have no problem with that. Back in the Middle ages the life expectancy was 35. What about before that? What about two thousand years? Four thousand years ago? Six thousand years ago? I have yet to see any indications of life expectancy other than the Bible for these time periods. So my above statement was not false.

If we didn;'t have our modern medical trechnology our life expectancy would be 35 as well, if not less. It's only due to our medical technologies that our life expectancy has increase recently.