• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Bible the literal word of God?

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Being a prophet has got to pay well specially with you suckers about. might start.

I must admit there is something about being a prophet that does have its rewards. Unless you make a drastic change you will never know just how good those rewards are............

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Yeah that's why people in the Bible used to live for hundreds of years. As the inbreeding occured our health level decreased until we have all the health problems we do now.
Withall the birth defects and deformities and all the other nasty stuff that comes with incest....
I wonder what Adam and Eve actually looked like?

yeah but why don't you turn to the high and mighty to save you from disease. Not man made medicine, man made medicine as you said free will, man decided to create medicine not god.and all you religious people should carry on with your lives without seeing a doctor and heal on prayer alone lets see how long you last ok? truly if he/she is there they will not let you die while the rest of us non believers carry on with our lives.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
yeah but why don't you turn to the high and mighty to save you from disease. Not man made medicine, man made medicine as you said free will, man decided to create medicine not god.and all you religious people should carry on with your lives without seeing a doctor and heal on prayer alone lets see how long you last ok? truly if he/she is there they will not let you die while the rest of us non believers carry on with our lives.

Only an idiot would not seek medical help when it is needed....God gave us common sense. Who do you think gave the people the intelligence to become doctors?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Only an idiot would not seek medical help when it is needed....God gave us common sense. Who do you think gave the people the intelligence to become doctors?
I know of some people who will tell you it was The Devil Himself who did in order to thwart God.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
yeah but why don't you turn to the high and mighty to save you from disease.

Because it's part of our experience in this life to experience hardship andtrials. This life was never meant to be a perfect time.

Not man made medicine, man made medicine as you said free will, man decided to create medicine not god.and all you religious people should carry on with your lives without seeing a doctor and heal on prayer alone lets see how long you last ok?

Why? Why should I turn away from medicine that God inspired us to create for our own benefit. That would, in my view, a pretty big insult to God. But We also pray for sick people too. Can't we do both? Does it have to be exclusive to one?

truly if he/she is there they will not let you die while the rest of us non believers carry on with our lives.

Why?

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
God didn't say we wouldn't have trials or illness, but He did say He would be there with us and see us through it.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
God didn't say we wouldn't have trials or illness, but He did say He would be there with us and see us through it.
I had a girlfriend like that once.
Always testing me to see if I would be faithful or cheat.
Testing to see if I really loved her.
To see if I had her best interests at heart, etc.

It gets old after a while.
Then I realized that I did not want and could not be in a relationship without trust.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
I had a girlfriend like that once.
Always testing me to see if I would be faithful or cheat.
Testing to see if I really loved her.
To see if I had her best interests at heart, etc.

It gets old after a while.
Then I realized that I did not want and could not be in a relationship without trust.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Well when you consider that the reward is all power, then you have to admit that checking to make sure the recipient is capable of handling such power, is a pretty good idea.

blackout

Violet.
The mythological/social/historical symbolisms and allegorical vehicles/constructs
of biblical times are no longer our own today.

This lack of symbolic connect
coupled with the insistance on reading the bible literally...
well never mind.

Still, we can go back and find out the more ancient symbologies of "serpents" for instance,
for a more historical interpretation...
or AMAZINGLY still.... find all new allegorical meanings and interpretations all our own.
There is meaning and allegory and interpretive symbology in literally EVERYTHING,
for eyes that see beyond the exoteric... to the inner mystery.

Dunemeister

so if the world started with adam and eve that means we all inbred. and what about the that talking serpent is that all literal.

Probably it isn't literal. So are you actually talking about the bible texts changing or traditions of interpretation changing, or what? I confess this is getting me confused.

nature gave us the intelligence not god, don't you see i don't believe in god ok, so how am i supposed to see it your way.

Probably it isn't literal. So are you actually talking about the bible texts changing or traditions of interpretation changing, or what? I confess this is getting me confused.

interpretations are getting changed constantly, and i know you say we are still trying to understand the bible, but as said before you can interpret anything shakespeare can be different ways, and why is there no singular christianity anymore did you seperate in differences of belief, disagreeing with other interpretations because only one of you can have it right if any at all, so that means the most of you have not been doing god's will. The reason they are being changed is because they appeal less and less to nowadays, can't you just believe in god,and accept that maybe the bible is out of date, needs a bit of glamour like a double page spread of alyssa Milano, now i would read that bible.

RevOxley_501

What do you mean, how do you properly check that? Check what? I'm not trying to bash you. Your question was just a bit too vague in what 'that' is.
oh sorry, "that" is whether a person meets the qualifications neccessary to be the prophet

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
interpretations are getting changed constantly, and i know you say we are still trying to understand the bible, but as said before you can interpret anything shakespeare can be different ways, and why is there no singular christianity anymore did you seperate in differences of belief, disagreeing with other interpretations because only one of you can have it right if any at all, so that means the most of you have not been doing god's will. The reason they are being changed is because they appeal less and less to nowadays, can't you just believe in god,and accept that maybe the bible is out of date, needs a bit of glamour like a double page spread of alyssa Milano, now i would read that bible.
The Bible has lasted precisely because it provides for multiple interpretations. All of them, ultimately, point us toward God. That's the important thing, not the picayune process of "who's right and who's wrong." Argument and disagreement are good, because they keep us accountable to each other. We are all doing God's will, so long as we are trying to notice God in our lives.

Unfortunately for you, the Bible isn't about sex, it's about God.