• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a difference between positive and negative eugenics?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Anti-miscegenation was marketed pretty heavily but went out of fashion anyway. Our hormones are immune to persuasion.

well...I don't think so. This famous Swedish man refused to have children with this woman, (his wife) because she was Mediterranean

LoredanaMartimonio04.jpg

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
well...I don't think so. This famous Swedish man refused to have children with this woman, (his wife) because she was Mediterranean

Regardless of whether or not this anecdote is true, the reproductive choices of a single pair of individuals would be better described as mate choice than eugenics. If you somehow convinced a large segment of a population to reject Mediterraneans as mates, then I'd call it eugenics. I'd also probably have to call that a little racist. XD

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Regardless of whether or not this anecdote is true, the reproductive choices of a single pair of individuals would be better described as mate choice than eugenics. If you somehow convinced a large segment of a population to reject Mediterraneans as mates, then I'd call it eugenics. I'd also probably have to call that a little racist. XD

It is true. She asked him for a child, but he, persuaded by his mother, told her he didn't want to have a child with her. because she was not Nordic.
well...Eugenics is not racism. The Swedes have the right to breed with each other, so they can identify with their children. How can they identify with dark-haired people?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Are you sure?

Why on Earth would anyone marry and then decide that he does not think his wife's genes are ethnically acceptable?

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
What? There are people who do not want to have Mediterranean-looking children?

I assume they have vision troubles? :)

Of course. Do you think that most Swedes would breed with Mediterraneans?
They 'd rather die

You assumed correctly, Luis. The beauty that can be found in countries like Italy and Greece tame any and every competition. Except Ukraine. For some freaking reason, the women of Ukraine are too pretty. Way too pretty. Oh, and Hay's just blind.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
You assumed correctly, Luis. The beauty that can be found in countries like Italy and Greece tame any and every competition. Except Ukraine. For some freaking reason, the women of Ukraine are too pretty. Way too pretty. Oh, and Hay's just blind.

there is a big difference between having sex with a person you're attracted to and having a child with them.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
well...what's wrong with that? If you love a person and you have sex with them, it doesn't necessarily imply that you want to have a child with them.

Maybe so - although it does not speak too highly of one's character - but it just seems so wrong to marry before attempting to find out whether there is basic compability of expectations about having offspring.

The only scenario I can think of that somewhat excuses him is if either or both of them did not want to have children together at the moment when they married, then she changed her mind.

If you want, I can put the link of the interview where she says that.
I guess you understand a bit of Italian.

Sure, please.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The only scenario I can think of that somewhat excuses him is if either or both of them did not want to have children together at the moment when they married, then she changed her mind.
well...maybe they hadn't talked about that.

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I feel like I'm about the only one concerned that women with the highest academic and professional success have a below average birthrate. To me this bodes badly for the future of the human gene pool; reduction of the inherited traits that make one successful academically and professionally.

I'm thinking we should structure things (taxes, insurances, etc.) to make it easier for these women to have more kids. And structure social programs to make it disadvantageous for people without sufficient finances to have kids.

There may not be a whole lot we can do so I'm pessimistic about the future on this issue.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
It is true. She asked him for a child, but he, persuaded by his mother, told her he didn't want to have a child with her. because she was not Nordic.
well...Eugenics is not racism. The Swedes have the right to breed with each other, so they can identify with their children. How can they identify with dark-haired people?

Isn't this racism though? We're all humans, no matter our colours. They're just mutations in pigments.

I don't understand how this has anything to do with identifying with each other? My husband and I don't have the same hair and eye colours. It's no big deal...

That man is... Very strange to say the least.

EDIT: Herp DERP! Didn't read eugenics refer to breeding... My brain processed this as "DNA treatments and so on"... Well carry on!

I'm not sure I approve of eugenics as in breeding. I think it sounds racist.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I'm thinking we should structure things (taxes, insurances, etc.) to make it easier for these women to have more kids. And structure social programs to make it disadvantageous for people without sufficient finances to have kids.
There may not be a whole lot we can do so I'm pessimistic about the future on this issue.

It sounds like that the idea of childless women scares you.
don't worry....the human race is not threatened by extinction.
and one more thing: ignorance is not inheritable. Poor people's children can become presidents.

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member
I believe there should be restrictions on what people can do in regards to medical applications and groups which organization which seek to impose laws such as sterilization. While the example of OP is disease one could argue a view regarding genetics and violence. Although environment does play a role as well. I am reminded of Nazi eugenics programs, eugenics societies of the 19/20th centuries and The Time Machine.

Hello all you Elois and Morlocks!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
well...maybe they hadn't talked about that.

It took until now for me to realize that it is Bjorn Borg, the famous tennis champion, who she married.

I don't think I can conclude too much beyond that their marriage does not seem to have worked. Between the video and the Wikipedia articles, it is obvious that their troubles were considerable. Maybe somehow they did fail to consider the subject before marrying, I dunno. Their story is complicated.

In any case, without even having heard his take on the matter (and lacking reason to expect either of them to be particularly open and through when talking to the general public about what is so clearly a very personal matter), there is really very little to conclude here.

George-ananda

Premium Member
It sounds like that the idea of childless women scares you.

Not at all. The decline of genes that tend a person to academic and professional success saddens me.

don't worry....the human race is not threatened by extinction.

:facepalm:That comment makes me think you didn't understand my post.

and one more thing: ignorance is not inheritable. Poor people's children can become presidents.

Intelligence for academic and professional success has inherited abilities involved.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I understand the difference of positive and negative eugenics being that negative eugenics is things like compulsory sterilization and euthanasia, and positive eugenics is things like encouraging certain groups to mate but not imposing force.

Hmm, apparently it's not really defined as a difference in force: Eugenics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I feel like I'm about the only one concerned that women with the highest academic and professional success have a below average birthrate. To me this bodes badly for the future of the human gene pool; reduction of the inherited traits that make one successful academically and professionally.

I figure there is far more of environmental than genetic participation leading to academic and professional success, so yes, I am not worried about that.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member

There's no evidence that things like professional success have genetic correlation. That has everything to do with society, not biology.

George-ananda

Premium Member
I figure there is far more of environmental than genetic participation leading to academic and professional success, so yes, I am not worried about that.

As on most subjects we differ. I think heredity is of underrated importance.