• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there a difference between positive and negative eugenics?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Not at all. The decline of genes that tend a person to academic and professional success saddens me.

are you saying that all the people are meant to have intellectual jobs?
are you saying that we don't need any farmers, nor factory workers?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
There's no evidence that things like professional success have genetic correlation. That has everything to do with society, not biology.

My opinion is that heredity is an underrated factor because it leads to uncomfortable questions. It's nice to believe everybody is born with the same abilities to be a physicist or a doctor or lawyer and that it's just peoples'
environments that make the difference. And yes, environment matters too but heredity is also very important.

George-ananda

Premium Member
are you saying that all the people are meant to have intellectual jobs?
are you saying that we don't need any farmers, nor factory workers?

No I'm not. I'm saying the birthrate in first world nations for women in the higher academic and professional positions is not even at replacement levels.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
My opinion is that heredity is an underrated factor because it leads to uncomfortable questions. It's nice to believe everybody is born with the same abilities to be a physicist or a doctor or lawyer and that it's just peoples'
environments that make the difference. And yes, environment matters too but heredity is also very important.

There is no evidence for genetic correlation between those things. To me, it's just a way to ignore and explain away social inequalities as biologically immutable. It's the same as biological racism but with a different "target". It's nonsense.

George-ananda

Premium Member
There is no evidence for genetic correlation between those things. To me, it's just a way to ignore and explain away social inequalities as biologically immutable. It's the same as biological racism but with a different "target". It's nonsense.

Heredity matters greatly and I know that's not a socially popular idea at this time. For example, see identical twin studies where they are separated shortly after birth.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Heredity matters greatly and I know that's not a socially popular idea at this time. For example, see identical twin studies where they are separated shortly after birth.

Identical twins share the same DNA, so that's not a good example. You're ignoring the impact of society.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Identical twins share the same DNA, so that's not a good example. You're ignoring the impact of society.

You misunderstand. That's why they do identical twin separated at birth (placed in different homes or institutions) studies because that makes them the PERFECT example. The heredity is the same and only their environment differs.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
How can breeding into blacks or Asians blonde hair be a good thing?

Some black people naturally have blond hair without the input of whites. :rolleyes:

BlondeMelanesian.gif

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
You misunderstand. That's why they do identical twin separated at birth (placed in different homes or institutions) studies because that makes them the PERFECT example. The heredity is the same and only their environment differs.

Does one grow up in poverty and the other one grow up middle class or rich? Do they share all the same advantages and disadvantages?

roger1440

I do stuff
Who should have the authority to breed specific characteristics in or out? What characteristics should be considered? To what extent should the authorities go to? What should be done with people who exist now with undesirable characteristics? If a bad apple can spoil the bunch, wouldn’t it be in society’s best interest to eliminate the spoiled apple? Doesn’t the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Of course. Do you think that most Swedes would breed with Mediterraneans?
They 'd rather die

This Swede has a red headed, blue eyed, Scotsman, - and a very handsome darker skinned, dark haired. hazel eyed, Frenchman. Why discriminate? :D

Shad

Veteran Member
Who should have the authority to breed specific characteristics in or out? What characteristics should be considered? To what extent should the authorities go to? What should be done with people who exist now with undesirable characteristics? If a bad apple can spoil the bunch, wouldn’t it be in society’s best interest to eliminate the spoiled apple? Doesn’t the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few?

This is my question. As I said could one could argue a presupposition for violence and crime is a diease of society. Governments already take children away from violent families. Some eugenics societies of the past believed that crime could be bred out of humanity. What about the views that homosexuality is a disease? Could homophobes use this as an argument to bred this "disease" out of humanity? What is we find a/the genetic cause of homosexuality? Could a parent not demand treatment to prevent their children from suffering a life of being second class citizens, depending on nation, subject to discrimination.