• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there any other religion other than Islam that forbids alcohol?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Oh! My mistake. I just reread underneath and I guess the verse is in reference to a certain drug that was in use at the time primarily among priests/rulers. (haoma) =)
It wouldn't be Haoma, that was sacred, it refers to intoxicants, thus alcohol was one of the things meant; just like in the Bible, yet people choose to ignore it, so they can carry on drinking. ;)
My understanding is that it is intoxication/drunkenness that is forbidden rather than Alcohol in and of itself .... ie moderation, care, personal, responsibility etc.
Can post the numerous verses in the Bible condemning alcohol; basically alcohol is to be given to those who are about to die, other than that kings, princes, priest, Nazarites, and anyone who wishes to be holy shouldn't touch it. :innocent:

Last edited:

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
It wouldn't be Haoma, that was sacred, it refers to intoxicants, thus alcohol was one of the things meant; just like in the Bible, yet people choose to ignore it, so they can carry on drinking. ;)

What are you on about? It was haoma. The Persians had wine presses until the Muslims conquered them and shut them down.

wizanda

Premium Member
What are you on about? It was haoma.
Within multiple religions globally cannabis, which is possibly Haoma, was sacred, allowing people to write inspired poetry, and it isn't an intoxicant.

This exact same thing has happened in multiple religious cultures, alcohol perverts the priests, and the same thing as found in that passage, is stated within the Bible repeatedly....Yet people choose to ignore it. :facepalm:
Isaiah 56:10-12 His watchmen are blind, They are all ignorant; They are all dumb dogs, They cannot bark; Sleeping, lying down, loving to slumber. 11 Yes, they are greedy dogs Which never have enough. And they are shepherds Who cannot understand; They all look to their own way, Every one for his own gain, From his own territory. 12 “Come,” one says, “I will bring wine, And we will fill ourselves with intoxicating drink; Tomorrow will be as today, And much more abundant.”
The Persians had wine presses until the Muslims conquered them and shut them down.
New wine isn't an intoxicant; old wine isn't for anyone wishing to serve God. :innocent:

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
It wouldn't be Haoma, that was sacred,

Within multiple religions globally cannabis, which is possibly Haoma, was sacred, allowing people to write inspired poetry, and it isn't an intoxicant.

But you can't say with any certainty; and a drug's sacredness does not preclude its toxicity. As an example: haoma was probably sacred to the Indo-Aryan priests the same way peyoté was sacred to some native American nations. Peyote's hallucinogenic affects derive from its poisonous nature and getting the amount even slightly wrong could prove fatal.

wizanda

Premium Member
But you can't say with any certainty; and a drug's sacredness does not preclude its toxicity.
True, as a Shaman i'd not advise taking most sacred plants without caution; yet within the qualities ascribed to Haoma it isn't an intoxicant, it matches the qualities we find in cannabis. ;)
  • the mildly intoxicating extract can be consumed without negative side effects (Yasna 10.8).
  • it is nourishing (Yasna 9.4, 10.20) and 'most nutritious for the soul' (Yasna 9.16).

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
How can one claim that cannabis is not an intoxicant? That flies on the face of fact.

Yeah, as a former stoner, I've definitely got to agree with his statement. If pot didn't get you high(intoxicated) no one would smoke it. If you want to claim someone high as a kite on pot is more functional than a drunk, that's debatable, but not an intoxicant, never.

David1967

Premium Member
Wow, I didn't know that many other religions forbid it. Are there punishments for it you know of?

I know that the Baptist denomination I grew up in forbids alcohol. There is no bible verse to support complete abstinence from alcohol consumption. The bible only speaks about over doing it. Punishment? Not really, some churches may shun a person for it but nothing physical.

David1967

Premium Member
Cool!

Islam forbids it mainly to protect the community against possible side effects due to clouding/absenting mind and judgement. Along with the health and behavior issues too.

Having the above introduction said, so far the reason I noticed in the posts for forbidding it is intoxication (potential to damage health, is it?!?!). Are there other reasons?

I hear it makes your thumbs turn green.:D:p

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Vedic or vaidika dharma -----'na surAm pibetha' --Vedam ordains not to drink alcohol but sadly as much of indians except some brahmins do not know vedam, they drink alcohol but sanatana dharma forbids alcohol ----Muslims follow their scriptures strictly unlike most of forgotten value 'hindus'..

The full verse from vedam goes like this

"na paradhaaram gatcheT; suraam na pibEt" - meaning "Don't covet other's wives and don't drink alcoholic drinks."

That's a good and thorough answer. Thank you :)

I hear it makes your thumbs turn green.:D:p

You have no idea how many comments I get about my green thumb :D

wizanda

Premium Member
How can one claim that cannabis is not an intoxicant?
The word Intoxicant means to poison someone in some way, to form an affect...

Our bodies have cannabinoid receptors within the brain, that are designed for cannabis to join on to, which is what causes the affect...

Our whole body runs better with regular omega oils, which are found in cannabis, and partially in fish oils.

Eventually this will all become understood science, that lack of cannabis in the diet can lead to malnutrition, which then can lead to irregular thought patterns....

They are aware of supplementing it with fish oils; yet globally we're not at the point of recognizing that cannabis provides a perfect alternative to meat with 45% protein, and harmonizes the bodies nervous, and endocrine system, etc. ;)
Yeah, as a former stoner
Would expect you to have more knowledge on the subject then. :rolleyes:

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Intoxicated means something that gets you high, end of story. Marijuana smokers can be full of rubbish, they actually think that being high is the normal state, and being sober is some kind of curse.

David1967

Premium Member
The word Intoxicant means to poison someone in some way, to form an affect...

Eventually this will all become understood science, that lack of cannabis in the diet can lead to malnutrition, which then can lead to irregular thought patterns....

Is this why pot gives you the munchies? :D

wizanda

Premium Member
Is this why pot gives you the munchies? :D
It is a teacher plant, thus the munchies is your body craving certain required nutrition.

Often find two things prominent, the vitamins, sodium, and iron that we get from olives, and the cannbinoid production, we acquire from the anandamide found within chocolate. ;)

David1967

Premium Member
It is a teacher plant, thus the munchies is your body craving certain required nutrition.

Often find two things prominent, the vitamins, sodium, and iron that we get from olives, and the cannbinoid production, we acquire from the anandamide found within chocolate. ;)

I don't drink or smoke pot, but chocolate? I like chocolate.;)

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Guys, the topic is about alcohol, not cannibals. So bless stuck wet tropic.

Oh, God, I think I'm high!

Knot:
Don't take me too seriously. It's okay, just try to not drift too much :)

Kirran

Premium Member
Most forms of Hinduism discourage it, the strength of this discouragement varying. But as it's more for personal spiritual benefit, observance varies. I do not drink.

There is also substantial variation within Islam. Alevi Muslims drink, and the word in the Qur'an refers to the products of fermented grapes, giving some variation as regards interpretation.