• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there any other religion other than Islam that forbids alcohol?

Milton Platt

And if there is a scriptural proof, please provide it.

Thank you.

Certain groups of Christians discourage alcohol, but I know of nothing in the Bible that explicitly prohibits it. When I was growing up, many Baptists discouraged dancing as well, even though it was perfectly okay in scriptures for king David to "dance before God". Baptists now do not prohibit either generally, but you may still find a few small congregations that prohibit either or both. All religions change and splinter over time amd accross geography.

miodrag

Certain groups of Christians discourage alcohol, but I know of nothing in the Bible that explicitly prohibits it.

1 Corinthians 10:23 may be relevant here: "Everything is permitted, but everything isn't beneficial. " So, there is no prohibition or punishment, this is the standpoint of the Orthodox Church. It is only a common sense to decide how useful is intoxication for spiritual life. Alcohol is a part of the Eucharist. If it is still intoxicant after transubstantiation - I guess everybody will say yes, but all will also agree that in this case it is very useful.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
You don't need the Bible to tell you that alcohol doesn't encourage anything beneficial.

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
You don't need the Bible to tell you that alcohol doesn't encourage anything beneficial.

Actually the New Testament says that a little wine is beneficial.

It was the kind of wine that gets people drunk because the Book of Acts contains references to wine making people drunk.

Lyndon

Premium Member
The word translated wine in the Bible is both unfermented grape juice and fermented grape juice or wine, only the context could possibly make clear which one it is referring to, there is no word in the Bible for grape juice, only the word translated wine.

raph

Let us behave properly as in the day, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual promiscuity and sensuality, not in strife and jealousy. (NAS, Romans 13:13)

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
The word translated wine in the Bible is both unfermented grape juice and fermented grape juice or wine, only the context could possibly make clear which one it is referring to, there is no word in the Bible for grape juice, only the word translated wine.

Sure...Acts says wine got people drunk.

End of story.

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
Let us behave properly as in the day, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual promiscuity and sensuality, not in strife and jealousy. (NAS, Romans 13:13)

1 Timothy 5:23
English Standard Version (ESV)
(23)(No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments.)

psychoslice

Veteran Member
My church that I was in, that is the Seventh Day Adventist, forbids alcohol, smoking, dancing, eating pork, going to the movies, and so on.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Cool!

Islam forbids it mainly to protect the community against possible side effects due to clouding/absenting mind and judgement. Along with the health and behavior issues too.
This is the reason given in Buddhism for avoiding intoxicants that cause heedlessness. It's not forbidden, it's just deemed unwise.

Wow, I didn't know that many other religions forbid it. Are there punishments for it you know of?
Again, forbidding it is not quite the right word when it comes to Buddhism. The abstaining from intoxicants is expected to come from within the individual; it is not something that is enforced by outside society/authority. A monk or nun imbibing in alcohol would be required to confess it. There is no punishment for laypersons, except their having to deal with the actions resulting from their alcohol-induced heedlessness.

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
No Acts said juice made from grapes got people drunk, because it got them drunk you know its wine not grape juice.

No, Acts says that wine made people drunk:

Acts 2:13-15
English Standard Version (ESV)
(13)But others mocking said, “They are filled with new wine.” (14)But Peter, standing with the eleven, lifted up his voice and addressed them: “Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and give ear to my words. (15)For these people are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day.

Lyndon

Premium Member
Sorry but you don't know Greek so you have no idea what it said, it definitely didn't say wine because English didn't exist when it was written. People like you amaze me, you actually assume the Bible was written in English and you understand all the words just because you understand English, nothing could be further from the truth!!

firedragon

Veteran Member
Ephesians 5:18 8 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit,

Sorry but you don't know Greek so you have no idea what it said, it definitely didn't say wine because English didn't exist when it was written. People like you amaze me, you actually assume the Bible was written in English and you understand all the words just because you understand English, nothing could be further from the truth!!

Yes of course the Bible was written in Greek. But look at the similarity between the two words "Oinu" and "Wine". The word Wine is probably from the Greek word, same as Sperm and many many other words. Or do you mean Oinos is not wine?

Proverbs 20:1 Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever is led astray by them is not wise.

The bible is more explicit in saying no to Alcohol. And if one argues that wine in those times was not alcohol, I wonder how they can get drunk on it.

Peace.

Lyndon

Premium Member
Proverbs was written in Hebrew, not Greek, you didn't know that, Oh brother!!