• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there anyone out there who upholds bible infalliblility?

Would it help if I said that I might consider the Bible to be inerrant if my aim was better?
When I looked up the definition for inerrant, it said "infallible".
I looked it up agian(both) and -"Has no error or inconsitencies"
Your talk of slippery fingers just(sort of)proves my talk about being vague.
Who belives that the Bible is without error ?!! Is the question.:cool:

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
Wow you really are hell bent on arguing this point. You are sort of a missionary crushing evangelicals. Ha! What an interesting concept. A "Black Missionary." The missionary of heretical ideas....

ha ha ha :angel2:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
When I looked up the definition for inerrant, it said "infallible".
I looked it up agian(both) and -"Has no error or inconsitencies"
There's a third meaning: "not deviating from the regular or proper course" (i.e. "not errant"). In this sense, the term is usually applied to projectiles.

From my experience with other books, I would say that the Bible is probably most inerrant when thrown with the spine of the book facing forward.

Your talk of slippery fingers just(sort of)proves my talk about being vague.
Who belives that the Bible is without error ?!! Is the question.:cool:
Without error? Not me; that's for sure.

Wow you really are hell bent on arguing this point. You are sort of a missionary crushing evangelicals. Ha! What an interesting concept. A "Black Missionary." The missionary of heretical ideas....

ha ha ha :angel2:
I am not as a mssionary as much as I am a man that wants to play a very particular game when I am devoid of joy...
I do enjoy talking about the Bible though...

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
I am not as a mssionary as much as I am a man that wants to play a very particular game when I am devoid of joy...
I do enjoy talking about the Bible though...

I was poking.

And I think that game would be going out of your way to argue with people in any way possible, even by purposefully provoking them.

Which is why he is on restriction I bet. Naughty trolls don't get to have any fun.

Tomlane

Saved_Sinner
There are not many things in this world, that I find joy in, but debating evangelicals, I find much joy in.(I was once an evangelical so I know what their argument is and the answer to it before it even occurs)
I just flat-out enjoy crushing them in an arguement/debate. It is a mysterious source of pleasure in my life.

Even though I'm not a evangelical, I couldn't help but be reminded of Proverbs 18:13.

Proverbs 18:13 *¶He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him.

Surely ThuggishSplicer, you don't fall into this fool's paradise do you?

Tomlane

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
There are not many things in this world, that I find joy in, but debating evangelicals, I find much joy in.(I was once an evangelical so I know what their argument is and the answer to it before it even occurs)
I just flat-out enjoy crushing them in an arguement/debate. It is a mysterious source of pleasure in my life.
Crushing evangelicals in an argument? Ooooo I'm scared....:D
I'll bet your just one tuff cream puff , and since you don't have joy in many things in this world I'm glad you find pleasure in something......;)

rusra02

Premium Member
I believe the Bible is inspired by God and is therefore the truth. Jesus said of God's word "Your word is truth. (2 Timothy 3:16,17, John 17:17) There is abundant evidence to support that conclusion.
Just one example: critics leveled scorn at Daniel’s statement that Belshazzar was king in Babylon at the time that Nabonidus was reputed to be ruler. (Dan. 5:1) Archaeology has now established beyond question that Belshazzar was an actual person and that he was a coregent of Nabonidus in the last years of the Babylonian Empire
That is not to say that all translations of the Bible are accurate but the substance of God's word is the Truth. God saw to it that the Bible, which contains his word, has been preserved for our good.

Green Kepi

Infallibility? No. Contains truth? Yes...but why would you want to crush me? Much is lost due to translators (I admit)...but I believe it contains enough to eventually get me to Heaven. If I didn't believe that...I wouldn't be wasting my time. Believe what you want to believe...quit trying to crush others who believe differently than you. Your opinion counts just as much as mine...you have that right...or that's what I thought I was fighting for during my 20 years in the military.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Infallibility? No. Contains truth? Yes...but why would you want to crush me? Much is lost due to translators (I admit)...but I believe it contains enough to eventually get me to Heaven. If I didn't believe that...I wouldn't be wasting my time. Believe what you want to believe...quit trying to crush others who believe differently than you. Your opinion counts just as much as mine...you have that right...or that's what I thought I was fighting for during my 20 years in the military.
I'm not sure the Bible is intended to "get you to heaven." It is intended as a written record of the story of God's people.

Really, there's not much "lost" in translation. We're pretty sure we have the story pretty darn close to the "original." Remember, though, that these stories were told from memory for a while (sometimes a long while!) before being written down. therefore, what does "original" mean in this context? The translations we have are pretty darn close to the most ancient written sources we have.

Green Kepi

Sojourner...correct. Let me rephrase that...it gives me the "road-map" to provide me with the "directions" of how to get there....

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I believe that God is infallible, but the Bible is the inspired word of God and was written by man. Humans are capable of error so one only has to assume that there will be some errors and with the amount of translations of the Bible.....;)
I'm sure everyone has their own opinion on the infallibility of God...and that's cool...:D

I'm positive the Bible is infallible (Ecc 3:14-15; Num 23:19; John 5:30,37-39), and I know as a fact that any man who believes another man's interpretation of it has believed a lie (Jer 23:1-3,15,28-30; Ps 1:1-4; Matt 3:11-12; 23:29-33; Jer 31:33-34; 1John 2:24,27).

Now, what part of infallible do you want me to explain (Rom 3:3-4,7; Is 8:18-20; 1Cor 10:11; Heb 11:2,39-40; 12:8; MATTHEW 23:32,34)?

Green Kepi

I'm positive the Bible is infallible (Ecc 3:14-15; Num 23:19; John 5:30,37-39), and I know as a fact that any man who believes another man's interpretation of it has believed a lie (Jer 23:1-3,15,28-30; Ps 1:1-4; Matt 3:11-12; 23:29-33; Jer 31:33-34; 1John 2:24,27).

Now, what part of infallible do you want me to explain (Rom 3:3-4,7; Is 8:18-20; 1Cor 10:11; Heb 11:2,39-40; 12:8; MATTHEW 23:32,34)?

davis.esquire...I'm not "siding" with the unbelievers or am I saying its a lie...however, you have to remember that we have no original manuscripts nor do we even have original copies of the originals. All I'm saying is that all we have are various versions and "another man's" interpretations....

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm positive the Bible is infallible (Ecc 3:14-15; Num 23:19; John 5:30,37-39),

Because the Bible says so. Or I should say; because you think that's what these verses are saying.

and I know as a fact that any man who believes another man's interpretation of it has believed a lie (Jer 23:1-3,15,28-30; Ps 1:1-4; Matt 3:11-12; 23:29-33; Jer 31:33-34; 1John 2:24,27).

Interesting (and baffling) interpretation of these.

To me it just sounds like a lot of threats that don't even address the point you're trying to make. For instance;

***Matt: 29"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You build tombs for the prophets and decorate the graves of the righteous. 30And you say, 'If we had lived in the days of our forefathers, we would not have taken part with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.' 31So you testify against yourselves that you are the descendants of those who murdered the prophets. 32Fill up, then, the measure of the sin of your forefathers!

33"You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?***

The rest are just as beside the point.

How about explaining how you get a definition for infallibility out of a bunch of verses full of;

---Admonitions to trust God.

---Promises that haven't been fullfilled yet.

---warnings about coming persecutions?

Or did you just pick random names and numbers out of the air and think no one would notice?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

You know "as a fact?" I haven't seen any facts here. I've seen some very limited scriptural proof-texting. But that's not fact. it's conjecture, at best.

Show me the facts.