• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there more than one God? Is Witchcraft real?

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
This strikes me as one of those times when it would be helpful to go back and look at the Hebrew word and what it meant during the time.

It refers to necromancy and not all forms of pagan religion.

Judaism has traditionally forbade the practice of witchcraft mostly because it was viewed as a form of idolatry. The Jews did not make a habit of killing Gentiles just because *they* practiced idolatry, however.

One of these days I'm going to have to find the space on the shelf for a Chumash. Not that there isn't a lot more, but it sure beats imagining the English translation as understood in our times has zip to do with the meaning of a Hebrew term used in a context of thousands of years ago.

The Word is [FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]m'khashepah and is also means a woman who uses spoken spells to harm others - e.g. causing their death or loss of property. Clearly "evil sorceress" or "woman who does evil magic" would be the most accurate phrases in today's English usage for this verse.(from Exodus 22:18 and Wicca/Witchcraft)
I've also herd a Poisoner to live, but can't really find anything that says that. [/FONT]

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
It is my personal opinion that they are neither Christian nor witches.

Discuss amongst yourselves . . .

lindarichman.jpg

Why am I suddenly feeling a little verklempt?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Last I checked, I was entitled to my opinion. :sarcastic

That debate is off topic anyway, so I hope that if anyone is going to have a meltdown about it, they'll do it in another thread.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
doppelgänger;939793 said:
Huh? That's Linda Richman . . . you know . . . from Cawfeee Tawlk.

Did I just date myself horribly? Honestly, people, throw me a bone here . . .

Yes, yes. I know all about that sketch. I am from Long Island, and grew up surrounded by her clones.

lunamoth

Will to love
I agree with Booko's take on it...both other gods and witchcraft are condemned because they distract from the covenant made with God. I'm not into the whole 'jealous God' bit, as you all well know. But if God is love, life, the ground of being, anything less than focus on these (anything that distracts from love, life, being) falls short of our potential and so falls short of eternal life.

my take anyways

Pariah

Let go
If you believe there is more than one God, there exists more than one God. If you believe there are no Gods, there will be no Gods.

Pariah

Let go
So the existence of some god is merely a function of belief?

Not objectively, but subjectively.
If one believes in one God, one will see one God in creation.
If one believes in multiple Gods, one will see multiple Gods in creation.
If one believes in no divinity, one will see no divinity in creation.

Our effect on the external world is a function of our belief. Differing beliefs create differing actions. That is the way I view God's existence, the only evidence there is at this point in time. There is no evidence for God either way, in my mind.

gnostic

The Lost One
quath said:
I think the Bible says it because for awhile the Hebrews were polytheistic. God/Yahweh was just the chief deity among many gods. It wasn't so much to say that other gods (like of the host) could not be worshiped, but Yahweh must be chief among them.
maddllama said:
I hear this idea a lot, but I actually have yet to see anyone come up with some sort of substantiating evidence for the idea.
I see it as evidence in the Flood story of the Sumerian-Babylonian myth, as being the closest connection to that of the Genesis. More so than the Egyptian pantheon and the Egyptian mythology. There very little in common between the Biblical god and the Egyptian monotheistic Aten.

The Sumerian An or Babylonian Anu, is ruler of heaven, or is heaven itself. Enlil brought the flood. And Enki/Ea saved mankind from the Flood, by saving Ziusudra/Atrahasis/Uta-naphistim, the Mesopotamian version of the Biblical Noah.

An/Enlil/Enki are trio of creator gods of Sumer. The Hebrew god exhibited attributes of these 3 gods.

The Sumerian version is older than the composition of the Genesis by roughly thousand year (or possibly more).

I suspect that the Yahweh is amalgamation of these 3 basic original gods.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i'm not at all sure how to go about answering the OP here... seeing as i hold the Bible in no relevance it doesn't matter what it says in it about Witchcraft because i am not part of the covenant with that God. so to me, witchcraft being real because it is mentioned in the Bible is not a basis for belief.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Whist I do not believe that there are a plethora of Gods; I do not think Christianity rules out their possible existence.
It is reasonable to believe that there is only one "God Creator". However lesser Gods could exist who would have a range of lesser powers.
I personally do not believe this to be so, but the ancient church seems to be warning us against such gods.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Some folks say there is only one true God. If there was only one God, why would the Bible say to have no other God's before him if they did not exist?

Same for Witchcraft, if Witchcraft had no power, why mention it in the Bible?
I can't speak for wiccans but as far as I understand it we are all gods just occupying human suits.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Some folks say there is only one true God. If there was only one God, why would the Bible say to have no other God's before him if they did not exist?

Same for Witchcraft, if Witchcraft had no power, why mention it in the Bible?
It could have been a metaphor for other religious paths and/or materialism.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
It could have been a metaphor for other religious paths and/or materialism.

It could just generally be a caution against idolatry. "God" imagined as the "God of the Old Testament" can even be an idol. People create "gods" (sometimes in stone, sometimes from words and thoughts) - and then they worship them.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
doppelgänger;940262 said:
It could just generally be a caution against idolatry.
That's more or less what I was trying to say. :eek: I forgot to add "following" after "for" in there.

lunamoth

Will to love
The more I think about the OP premise, the more interesting it is.

What Rev R is asking seems to be, does reading it in the Bible mean that it is 'real.'