• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there solid, verifiable proof that there is a god?

CarlinKnew

Why are you assuming it hasn't been? Because I don't have encyclopedic knowledge of the field? That's hardly fair.

A huge scientific discovery like that would've gotten some publicity. Religious believers would be using it as evidence in every debate on the existence of god. I've searched and as far as I can tell it doesn't exist.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
It did get publicity. There were articles in Newsweek, Time, other news outlets, and Wiki. There have been pop science books published on the subject, one of which I have recommended to you. But that's not what you asked for.

Also, what makes it so huge? It's a fledgling science, and a highly specialized subset of neurology, a field which is generally not well understood.

As for your assertion that all religious believers would be using it: why? Many would be opposed to it on theological or philosophical grounds, and that's only if they'd heard about it in the first place.

CarlinKnew

It did get publicity. There were articles in Newsweek, Time, other news outlets, and Wiki. There have been pop science books published on the subject, one of which I have recommended to you. But that's not what you asked for.

The pop science books got publicity. I mean if such a publication existed in a reputable scientific journal, this publication would've gotten publicity and someone would've found it by now.

Also, what makes it so huge? It's a fledgling science, and a highly specialized subset of neurology, a field which is generally not well understood.

"Mystical experiences are not hallucinations" is pretty straightforward, I think most people can understand that claim. And that is a big claim. It would be a revolutionary discovery.

As for your assertion that all religious believers would be using it: why? Many would be opposed to it on theological or philosophical grounds, and that's only if they'd heard about it in the first place.

Nonetheless someone would've used it in a debate by now, and cited his source. I keep up with religious debates and I've never heard of it.

So, until this claim is in a reputable scientific journal, there is no reason whatsoever to take it seriously.

Jeremiah

Are all experiences intersubjectively verifiable in a laboratory? Put differently, must an experience be intersubjectively verifiable in a laboratory to be an experience?

"must an experience be intersubjectively verifiable in a laboratory to be an experience"

Well no. An experience is an experience is an experience, whether it is real or not. But being intersubjectively verifiable definitely helps add to the credibility of it's actuality.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Personal experience, which he threw out.
Kinda. One person's personal experience is another person's hearsay. I think it's valid to place low value on hearsay.

Mystical experiences are neurologically distinct from hallucination.
Even if that's true, it doesn't mean that mystical experiences are any more based on something external than hallucination.

Edit: also, I should point out that you're begging the question in your description. Roughly speaking, hallucination is the term for any sensory perception that's not based on external stimuli. Its meaning isn't limited to false sensory perceptions that follow some set neurological pattern. If mystical experiences aren't based on external stimuli, then they're hallucinations; if they follow some neurological pattern that's distinct from other hallucinations, then we'd have two distinct categories of hallucinations. When you describe mystical experiences as not hallucinations, you imply certain factual or value claims that you haven't supported yet, IMO.

Are you accusing me of dishonesty, or the researchers, and on what grounds?
Depending on how they structured their studies, one worry of mine would be that they engaged some form of the Texas Sharpshooter fallacy.

Edit: and it's not so much a matter of honesty as of rigor in their methods.

Last edited:

Heneni

Miss Independent
You have not seen an electron, yet you believe they exist. You believe in life yet nobody has been able to make it. There are many things YOU believe in without YOU YOURSELF actually having seen or done it yourself.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
Damn.... ATS beat me to it....
mysmilie_1581.gif

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Kinda. One person's personal experience is another person's hearsay. I think it's valid to place low value on hearsay.
Granted, but there's quite a difference between "hearsay" and "no evidence at all."

Even if that's true, it doesn't mean that mystical experiences are any more based on something external than hallucination.
My point is there's no evidence either way.

Edit: also, I should point out that you're begging the question in your description. Roughly speaking, hallucination is the term for any sensory perception that's not based on external stimuli. Its meaning isn't limited to false sensory perceptions that follow some set neurological pattern. If mystical experiences aren't based on external stimuli, then they're hallucinations; if they follow some neurological pattern that's distinct from other hallucinations, then we'd have two distinct categories of hallucinations. When you describe mystical experiences as not hallucinations, you imply certain factual or value claims that you haven't supported yet, IMO.
I wasn't speaking "roughly," though, which invalidates your criticism.

Depending on how they structured their studies, one worry of mine would be that they engaged some form of the Texas Sharpshooter fallacy.
I'm not familiar with that one.

Edit: and it's not so much a matter of honesty as of rigor in their methods.
Seemed to me CarlinKnew was implying that someone was a liar, I just couldn't tell who.

linwood

Wrong, you just threw out the evidence you didn't like.

"Didn`t like" can also be read as "couldn`t verify" in this context.

I apologize for this interruption, y`all can continue with your god-botherin` now.

:)

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Seems to me that: picture does not equate proof.

So are you of the opinion that that video of an electron is not real?

Additionally, are you of the opinion that the pictures you posted are not real?

If you're answers are not the same, then the reason they are not shows why your response is faulty.

Last edited: